Notices

Just wanted to share my story.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just wanted to share my story.

Hey everyone, I've been posting some lately. But I wanna at least just write my story. I think saying it to someone might help me sleep tonight.

I'm a 32 year old gay man, I've been drinking since I was about 18 or 19. It started off as beer, going to clubs with my friends. But no matter night it was, I woke up the next morning wanting to drink more. So I would. In my early 20s got 2 DUIs in 30 days and did my time for that. Shortly after my partner left me because I was drinking so heavily. He would come home from work, and I would be passed out on the couch with a gallon of vodka on the floor besides me. I decided to do out patient and in patient to try to save that relationship. But it was for all the wrong reasons, I knew I was going to drink again. Since then, I've had seizures and had to be hospitalized so many times. I lost a best friend to cancer a couple years ago and felt like i didn't have a friend anymore. I lock myself in my room, until being alone builds up, so I got grab a friend, liquor. Recently, I refused to goto work because I was already on a 2 week binge, morning, day and night. Whiskey Straight out of the bottle. Each withdrawal gets worse. And if I don't get the help I need. I am thankful that the doctor recommended an at home detox with some Librium. Because they aren't a detox facility, just emergency care.

I've always been terrified to goto AA meetings of not fitting in. A childhood friend who I have not spoken to in 20 years assured me nobody care if you're gay. I was terrified even to tell anyone here I was gay. Tomorrow, I'm getting picked up and going to AA meeting, I'm terrified, cuz u never know what to expect. But I'm thrilled that I don't have to walk in alone, drive myself so I can't turn the car around. I'm ready to surrender. It's now or never. am ready to do AA meetings and get a sponser because clearly, everything I've done has not worked in the past.

Thank you for listening.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Go to a meeting it sounds like you're ready. You will be welcomed with open arms.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

AA sounds like a good start. good for you for taking action to change your life for the better!
Old 02-22-2017, 07:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you are here and posting, and it sounds like you have already gone through the home detox, hope you aren't still dealing with physical withdrawals.

Let us know how the meeting goes tomorrow.

Glad you are here.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am not gay. I am a guy. My sponsor is gay. Does not bother me- or anyone. AA also have rainbow meetings. There is a thread on SR as well.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the thread..

Aa will not be anywhere as scary as detoxing alone from alcohol.

I have attended many meetings in the last and nobody cares if you are gay or not tbh everyone has more important things they are focusing on.

Good luck and well done for reaching out.