Notices

Weirdly sad

Old 02-22-2017, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weirdly sad

It's been about 6 months since quitting, and while I was really happy and energetic at the beginning, I've gotten sick a few times this month and felt run down and weirdly sad. Things are ramping down after a few months of a lot of growth/activity, but I'm feeling a weird emptiness. Like I'm sort of stuck and mopey, feeling a bit overworked, and let down. I don't know if I'm just tired from everything or what.

I can't really describe it, but something just feels 'off'.

I used to use alcohol to relax (ironically) part of my 'self care' practice (ex, nursing a drink while having a hot bath, cooking a nice meal or painting with a glass of wine). I still like doing all the things I did without alcohol, but I am looking for ways to enhance my chill-out experience that don't involve alcohol. Does aroma therapy work? What other things can I do to sort of zen out and help myself perk up?

When you're feeling off, how do you bring yourself around again?

Note: I'm taking a bit of a break from my family, so calling them isn't an option. They're a major trigger for me, and I can only really talk to them when I feel up to it.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I take myself to an meeting! I always feel positive and refreshed, stronger whenever I came out of an meeting.

Remember H.A.L.T

H- Hunger.
A- Anger.
L- Loneliness.
T- Tired.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
totfit

Exercise is the biggest asset for myself. Follow that by the bath, aroma therapy, etc. and see if you have better results.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Gentle exercise, including yoga stretches, walks in the fresh air. Deep calming breaths when I am anxious.
I also like to look at seed and plant catalogs. Cheers me up no end.
And pet the cats.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with exercise. I like to walk. It definitely helps my moods.
I'll also say that the first two years are a super emotional time...for me, it was right around 6/7 months that the feelings hit me. One minute I would be fine, and the next, I would be crying in the middle of TJMaxx. It's ok. It is normal. And you don't need to "figure it out" ...just accept your feelings and keep putting one foot in front of the other. You're doing a great job! Big hugs!
Old 02-22-2017, 01:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Meditation. I read a lot of books for spiritual growth.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by alyn528 View Post
I take myself to an meeting! I always feel positive and refreshed, stronger whenever I came out of an meeting.

Remember H.A.L.T

H- Hunger.
A- Anger.
L- Loneliness.
T- Tired.
thats the ticket

Old 02-22-2017, 04:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA Member

+4 for exercise
Old 02-22-2017, 04:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're concerned about this and it's been going on for a while, maybe see your Dr Kintsugi?

D
Old 02-22-2017, 04:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
BYB

OK, this is a new one for me but having a cup of coffee and reading something has become a new chill time for me. Or having a chat with family or a friend with a coffee. The only time in the past that I found coffee relaxing was when we were camping in the mountains and Tom(he's like my dad now) brews a big pot of coffee and we sit out looking at the lake, talk and drink coffee. Having a cup reminds me of that now.... It seems counter intuitive but it works for a lot of people.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

kintsugi, back in my early 20s I remember being anxious and feeling down. I described how I felt to a person by saying "everything feels different". You described it better when you said

I can't really describe it, but something just feels 'off'.
Sounds like a small bout of depression, although it doesn't seem small. Give yourself a break too. 6 months is fantastic and no easy task! I think we tend to get into a "what now" mode.

Let's be real, life is different and sometimes that difference sneaks up on us.

What you've accomplished is nothing short of amazing.

What is it that you like to do, what makes you happy? Can you plan something that you can look forward to? Sometimes that helps to fill these periods of time?
Old 02-22-2017, 06:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

KINT- I always feel a little numb- void. As if I do not connect. I know it is because I am getting used to normal, everyday life and feelings without the rollercoaster emotions of booze. Stuff seems dull edged. I 'do not feel the love'. It for me is a matter of working at these feelings. Accepting them, riding them through and getting on with life.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Perhaps see a therapist in regards to depression? I've benefitted from that in the past. Also, and not to sound trite, but watch something funny. Cat videos, standup comedy ... Winter can have unwanted effects on seasonal affective types.