Notices

Binge drinking - what do you say when asked why?

Old 02-12-2017, 11:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Binge drinking - what do you say when asked why?

Quick history. I am a binge drinker. I can go weeks/months without a drink but then I will think it's ok, I'll get drunk one night and then usually that's it for a few days. The first night will be "normal" but then after that I will drink when I can be alone usually during the night when everyone is in bed - I then spend the day sleeping it off. I then can't manage my normal stuff and as I do everything for my family it is really noticeable that I'm not around.

My partner and Mum both asked me on the same day that big question - why? Why can I go so long without doing it but then relapse again. I don't know either. It will start with the idea popping in my head and I won't be able to stop thinking about it. I start to feel very anxious and I won't be able to shake it. I can feel it now just writing this down. Eventually I'll think it's ok just one night get it out of your system. The relief I feel making that decision but then there is no stopping me. Usually because I'm sober and can plan I get away with it that first night and hide it but the next day all I'll be able to think about it doing it again and I won't care if people find out or what the consequences will be. I'll generally come out of it 2/3 days down the line and then the next week dealing with the withdrawal, shame and embarrassment and putting everything straight that I neglected.

I know there are others like me - what do you say when asked why? And more importantly - for those that have managed to stop - how did you do it?
Old 02-13-2017, 12:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can answer the second one - how to stop it - pretty simply.
Never drink alcohol again.

Of course that's not easy but that is the basic remedy.

I binged for many years and I was able to fool myself that I wasn't out of control because I could stop and get up and go to work etc.

If asked why I drank that way I answered I had no off switch, and I believe thats as good an explanation as anything else.

If you have a faulty off switch, don't turn it on.

I had to accept that it's the first glass that starts the madness not the last...

Later on, I had no work and I was able to drink all day- and I did....

I think the two behaviours were different manifestations of the same thing - Alcoholism.

I actually think binge drinking was the more dangerous behaviour because I tried to cram a lot of drinks into a short space of time.

How I'm still here to talk about this is a mioracle to me.

What to do about it?

Look at what ever you're doing now for your recovery and accept that's just not enough to keep you from drinking.

What else could you add to what you've been doing Charliesworld?

D
Old 02-13-2017, 01:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
All is Change

Originally Posted by charliesworld View Post
...It will start with the idea popping in my head and I won't be able to stop thinking about it. I start to feel very anxious and I won't be able to shake it. I can feel it now just writing this down. Eventually I'll think it's ok just one night get it out of your {ed: my?] system. The relief I feel making that decision but then there is no stopping me....
That was it in a nutshell for me. I'd fight it but just deciding to do it brought me relief without even having drunk anything. Then there was no stopping me.

That's about the toughest one.

You gotta line up something like a meeting. Get a list. Make a list.

When that sensation starts to gnaw at you. first go to a meeting or ring someone. No matter how ****** you might feel. You have to break that habit and replace it with a sane one.

I know you can do it.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sober style

You can get a better kind of relief by deciding not to drink at all. Obviously harder in practice than in theory, especially early on. But that's a much better kind of relief that the temporary respite you get from giving in to base urges and then reaping the inevitable bad stuff later.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee

It's really bad but the idea of being able to drink all day and it not affect anyone isn't a bad thought for me. I wonder if I want to stop because of others or myself. If it's for others eventually I will relapse badly and for a long time and that might kill me (and so what?). This is what I have to work on.

I too cram drinks in because I know I only have a limited amount of time before someone comes and I'll have to stop and blacking out then is my only concern. From a non-alcoholic view that would be insane.

I honestly don't know what I can put into my plan. I know it's not working and looking now I can say why would you want to drink after everything. But when I am in that moment, my heart is racing, my stomach is full of butterflies because I know I want a drink and I'm trying to talk myself out of it but then the relief comes when I say sod it I'm tired of fighting, that's when I can't seem to control it. That's when I need to be strong and it's that time I don't seem to be able to.
ARGGHHH!!!!

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I can answer the second one - how to stop it - pretty simply.
Never drink alcohol again.

Of course that's not easy but that is the basic remedy.

I binged for many years and I was able to fool myself that I wasn't out of control because I could stop and get up and go to work etc.

If asked why I drank that way I answered I had no off switch, and I believe thats as good an explanation as anything else.

If you have a faulty off switch, don't turn it on.

I had to accept that it's the first glass that starts the madness not the last...

Later on, I had no work and I was able to drink all day- and I did....

I think the two behaviours were different manifestations of the same thing - Alcoholism.

I actually think binge drinking was the more dangerous behaviour because I tried to cram a lot of drinks into a short space of time.

How I'm still here to talk about this is a mioracle to me.

What to do about it?

Look at what ever you're doing now for your recovery and accept that's just not enough to keep you from drinking.

What else could you add to what you've been doing Charliesworld?

D
Old 02-13-2017, 03:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you Grympt

I already have a list of stuff to distract me but I get to the point it's not enough. I just need to not do it I know that but in that moment I just don't care. I wouldn't care if it killed me.

The only thing I care about dying is the effect it would have on my family - my partner and children particularly. For me I'm not bothered.

Originally Posted by Grymt View Post
That was it in a nutshell for me. I'd fight it but just deciding to do it brought me relief without even having drunk anything. Then there was no stopping me.

That's about the toughest one.

You gotta line up something like a meeting. Get a list. Make a list.

When that sensation starts to gnaw at you. first go to a meeting or ring someone. No matter how ****** you might feel. You have to break that habit and replace it with a sane one.

I know you can do it.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
All is Change

I've been there. The thing is that as I worked on being sober that changed. I guess that's one of the promises that having faith helps. You can see that others have been able to overcome and you can too.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

My partner and Mum both asked me on the same day that big question - why? Why can I go so long without doing it but then relapse again. I don't know either.
If you can't answer that question with, "I'm an alcoholic," then maybe you haven't accepted you are, which means you aren't addressing the solution correctly.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I know there are others like me - what do you say when asked why? And more importantly - for those that have managed to stop - how did you do it?
What you described is pretty much me, although my bender was limited to one evening of insane pouring followed by being in bed the entire day the next day. I made sure that I made it to the blackout because that was the only way I was going to stop.

As for the why, I was trying to fill a hole that couldn't be filled, at least not with alcohol. I was running from the things in my life that bothered me (which included the way I drank).

The problem is the hole is a bottomless pit. It can't be filled, at least not with alcohol.

Here's how I described binging best to someone who has no issues with alcohol. I told them to think of the last time they were ravenously hungry. I mean really, really hungry. Then, visualize sitting down at a table with their favorite food and begin eating. The norm would be that with each fork full they would begin to feel the satisfaction of food entering their body and filling their stomach. The release of the pangs of hunger leaving their body. However, for some strange reason, that doesn't happen. Fork full after fork full the hunger pangs are not subsiding. In fact, they're getting worse. So the insanity continues and the eating becomes a feeding frenzy. Shoveling the food in but never arriving at the desired result, the removal of hunger. Eventually, the person is forced to stop or their stomach will explode. But, still, because of that feeling they will try to continue.

That's us bingers in a nutshell.

I also theorize that deep in our minds we are aware that we can't go on like this forever and who knows when the next time will be that we get to indulge this craving? So, we pour in as much as we can as quickly as we can. It's like trying to take candy away from a kid who has been let loose in a candy store.

Now, to answer how I stopped. Sadly, it took something monumental happening that proved to me that I had no business ever letting alcohol pass my lips ever again. I wish I had a crystal ball and could have seen into the future. But, none of us have that. So, the hope is we can heed the warnings from others on here before this happens.

The only way I stopped was to realize that there would never be an option for me to drink, no excuse that could be created. If you read any relapse thread on this board most begin with the same. The why. There can be NO why. Ever. How do you insure that? You fully accept that you can't drink. Saying forever is an overwhelming thing so you break it into each day. You make a plan and you fill that hole in your life with things that don't support drinking. You come here, or talk to someone you know before you take that drink. Take note of my signature line, that will never change. If I turn 80 and am on here that will remain the same.

Quitting is not easy, but I can't express to you enough that once you get past the hard part you'll realize just what a lie addiction is. It will never fix any problem you have, in fact, it will keep you from fixing problems. Because that's what it does. Plus, if you do it the right way, and work on doing things that will make life rewarding you'll begin to wonder how alcohol had the hold over you that it did in the first place.

I'll leave you with this. I am now over 9 months out. Yesterday, I saw a post on Facebook of two glasses filled with wine. I gagged. I laughed when I did it. I effectively hate alcohol and associate it with nothing good. Through retraining and diligence I now associate alcohol with complete darkness and being sick. My mind never pauses over the times of laughter and fun, it goes directly to the aftermath. It's an effective tool but I never thought I could actually end up gagging when seeing it. Lord I hope that doesn't happen someday in a restaurant hehe.

You CAN do this and feel that same way. Being here is a great start. Have you made a plan yet for the next time you feel that binge coming on? Don't let it happen, there is no WHY. Don't allow it.

There is a much better life waiting for you and the only thing that's stopping you from getting there is alcohol. Doesn't that make you want to hate it just a little bit?
Old 02-13-2017, 05:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I did the same thing. My drinking took all kinds of 'forms' throughout my 13 years of trying to quit....basically it just progressed and wore different costumes.

The why? I'm an alcoholic.

I tried, and tried, and then tried some more to understand my addiction. Intellectualize it. That, while sounding interesting, was just an attempt to control it. By understanding it I could make my alcoholism 'manageable'. But those two words...alcoholism and manageable don't got together.

The why doesn't matter. It just is. And the only solution for me is to quit and recover (those two words do go together).
Old 02-13-2017, 07:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Charlie, I've been thinking A LOT about this lately too. Your situation sounds very similar to mine.

There have even been many times that I feel like I'm forcing alcohol into me to calm my nerves/anxiety when I have no real desire for alcohol; like I'm forcing poison down my throat...I know its going to hurt me...I know i'll regret it...it's a weird sensation.

I think I might be starting to understand some things though. I'm starting to see that in the periods between my binges, I never fully got through the withdrawal symptoms. A couple of months ago, I wouldn't have believed this theory. A couple of months ago, I would have told you I have bad hangovers, but not much (or any) true withdrawal symptoms.

I now see that I was chronically in withdrawal...that nagging low grade headache...the sensitive stomach...low energy...jumpiness ..etc...

Those things coupled with the guilt over those binging day and hangover days where I never got anything done.

So I'd have these periods of feeling guilty (maybe not guilty per se...frustrated? anxious?) about being feeling behind (maybe not "behind" per se...less than? lazy?).

Of course, there are also some real (not imagined) difficulties in my life. Stresses that also contribute to my desire to numb myself.

And couple all of that with those constant underlying withdrawal symptoms, and BAM! A drink or two could take the edge off. Honestly, a drink or two (or three or four) the first day would actually help me get things done...catch up my lagging responsibilities.

But you know a few drinks the first night, turn into a few bottles of wine the next few nights.

Then the pattern repeats.

I'm just starting to figure this all out for myself, so I don't have any answers on how to stop. Right now I'm just concentrating on getting through withdrawal. FULLY through withdrawal (which I figure will take at least a year, right? I need my body to be fully healed so I can make a sober, reasonable game plan for my life.) And this means embracing all those anxious, jittery, guilty, painful, lazy feelings and letting them settle. It's only day 9 for me and none of these feelings/symptoms have settled yet. Everyone one of these nine days has been a bit (ok, A LOT) miserable. But I've got to get through it. I know adding alcohol will only prolong it.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
If you can't answer that question with, "I'm an alcoholic," then maybe you haven't accepted you are, which means you aren't addressing the solution correctly.
This.

And, I would add that the type of alcoholic you are- i.e. Binge drinker only, daily drinker, only hard liquor drinker, only 2 glasses of wine but you must have them....list goes on ad nauseum just distracts from the most important fact that you are an alcoholic.

Now, what are you going to do about it?
Old 02-13-2017, 09:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was a binge drinker (hard to say was as it has only been 44 days). Alot of what you say is exactly how i felt. I drank alone mostly and justified it everytime. I would get extremely anxious and jittery when i knew i had plans to drink...at this point it would have pry been about 3 days without a drink so i was good right?!? I would be so anxious and jittery all day. Couldnt focus on anything but the clock. But, if i didntdidnt have alcohol at home or already had "the plan" in my head, i was ok. I guess what i am trying to say i was jittery and anxious to drink versus jittery and anxious because i needed a drink. In my mind i had already planned on doing it.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Quick history. I am a binge drinker. I can go weeks/months without a drink but then I will think it's ok, I'll get drunk one night and then usually that's it for a few days. The first night will be "normal" but then after that I will drink when I can be alone usually during the night when everyone is in bed - I then spend the day sleeping it off. I then can't manage my normal stuff and as I do everything for my family it is really noticeable that I'm not around.

My partner and Mum both asked me on the same day that big question - why? Why can I go so long without doing it but then relapse again. I don't know either. It will start with the idea popping in my head and I won't be able to stop thinking about it. I start to feel very anxious and I won't be able to shake it. I can feel it now just writing this down. Eventually I'll think it's ok just one night get it out of your system. The relief I feel making that decision but then there is no stopping me. Usually because I'm sober and can plan I get away with it that first night and hide it but the next day all I'll be able to think about it doing it again and I won't care if people find out or what the consequences will be. I'll generally come out of it 2/3 days down the line and then the next week dealing with the withdrawal, shame and embarrassment and putting everything straight that I neglected.

Well.... I was more or less similar to you for a good many years. I'd drink pretty "normally" most of the time, but that normalcy would invariable wind up in a real bender with no predictable or discernible rational or reason.

Those times became greater in number and frequency over time, and also came along with greater and graver consequences. 25+ years of that eventually led to me recognizing that the reason... the "WHY"... is because something about my brain chemistry and personality was and remains wired to seek that obliteration. Is unable to stop at unpredictable intervals. Takes over and cannot be restrained at times.

Some will say because I'm an alcoholic. Some will say it's because of addiction. Some will say it's because of my own choices..... maybe we'll never really know and ultimately what I know is that for me - the WHY doesn't matter. I can see the consistent truth of what happens when I decide to put alcohol in my body; eventually things get out of hand, my life suffers, those around me suffer.

And so, finally, I chose to stop asking "why" or trying to change the playbook. I stopped seeking to beat it. I stopped trying to be stronger than it. I stopped trying to ignore it. Instead, I started to live. I decided to choose sobriety.

And it turns out, since I made that choice - I haven't had a single episode of binge drinking. Since I embraced sobriety, I've not had to explain "why" to anyone or obsessively try to figure it out for myself. I've been able to just get on with living, being grateful, improving my life, being there for others, enjoying my blessed life.

You can, too.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

There has been a ton of great advice already. I concur with others that trying to answer questions or figure out why will often times become futile. The truth is that it is happening and its not a positive outcome. I made the excuse of blowing off steam, which was just that....an excuse.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
2/2016

How old are your children? How old is your wife?
Old 02-13-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Originally Posted by Grymt View Post
I'd fight it but just deciding to do it brought me relief without even having drunk anything.
This is so true for me.

Guess I forgot but when I last 'chose' to relapse after a decent stretch of sobriety that feeling was prevelant. The great feeling of relief just knowing that I decided to drink again. Thanks for the reminder! It freaks me out thinking about it now.

Great thread.

My answer to the question why would be 'because I am an alcoholic'.

I still dont always want to face the facts that my abnormal thinking surrounding alcohol proves I am alcoholic. I have an amazing ability to rationalize and justify and end up believing myself and ignoring the mountain of hard evidence.

But in my right mind I expect that normal drinkers dont try to quit and then experience relief after just deciding to drink again.

They certainly dont go on binging back and forth for years afterwards.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Dee

It's really bad but the idea of being able to drink all day and it not affect anyone isn't a bad thought for me. I wonder if I want to stop because of others or myself. If it's for others eventually I will relapse badly and for a long time and that might kill me (and so what?). This is what I have to work on.

I too cram drinks in because I know I only have a limited amount of time before someone comes and I'll have to stop and blacking out then is my only concern. From a non-alcoholic view that would be insane.

I honestly don't know what I can put into my plan. I know it's not working and looking now I can say why would you want to drink after everything. But when I am in that moment, my heart is racing, my stomach is full of butterflies because I know I want a drink and I'm trying to talk myself out of it but then the relief comes when I say sod it I'm tired of fighting, that's when I can't seem to control it. That's when I need to be strong and it's that time I don't seem to be able to.
ARGGHHH!!!!
I think you're at the point I was..even when I wasn't drinking my thoughts and perceptions were coloured by my addiction.

I thought I was useless helpless and hopeless. Noone else seemed to have the problems I did - it must be my fault.

I got to a point where I was genuinely ambivalent about my life...I didn't want to die, per se... but Life as I was living it wasn't much better than I imagined death to be.

You need to step away from the bottle long enough for those long term alcoholic/addictive perceptions to change.

D
Old 02-13-2017, 04:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

You need to step away from the bottle long enough for those long term alcoholic/addictive perceptions to change.

D

I also didn't care if I died. Getting through the withdrawals (which I always thought was just depression and a hangover, but was really much more serious physical withdrawals), I really have started to see things differently. And definitely feel differently. Make sure you are through the withdrawals. One thing at a time.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Charliesworld- when the idea pops in your head to drink don't entertain those thoughts! When you start to plan a night of drinking start thinking or planning something else. Keep busy and push all those drinking thoughts away and give yourself time to heal. I remember you Like to run?