Notices

Dont even know what to say anymore!

Old 02-04-2017, 03:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome back Chilledice

It's like those ads...a puppy is not just for Xmas, its for a lifetime...
recovery's a lot like that too.

I needed to commit to recovery and a new way of life and a new day of dealing with problems.

I had to accept that if I wanted change I needed to make change and give up drinking - for good.

Why not commit to posting here regularly again - and also commit to some recovery action/changes off the boards, in your "real life"?

D
Hey Dee good to hear from you again friend

I wanna come back and post regularly again but i have a slight problem regarding detox........ simply put the dr wont help, he keeps saying to AA's but he wont actually help me get past the withdrawals, he says i have to show willing before he will ''step in '' ...... I cant do cold turkey again, that was hell last time!
Old 02-04-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tiffanyeagle View Post
i'm sure every time i get some days together that this is it.
well it isn't.
i'm insane.
i want so badly to talk to someone.
Are you ok Tiffany? You can always talk here with us
Old 02-04-2017, 03:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
All is Change

Many times I thought I had stopped drinking. Many times minus one I started drinking again. I think what made a difference the last time is stopping for no one else but me. I stopped blaming anyone else or any other thing for my drinking. I stopped giving anyone else the power to make me drink or not drink. I started to own my drinking and my sobriety. Perhaps owning my sobriety was most important for me. I am the one that doesn't drink. Part of that is I choose to do things that work for me. First: it works to not pick up that first drink. That means I don't get drunk and get a chance to : . Secondly what works for me is that I take care of basics like food rest and shelter. From that foundational home ground, which doesn't necessarily have a locality, it's where I am at any time. Thirdly I educate myself. I communicate.

There are many resources. SR is very good. AA works, I don't go to any meetings these days but it has been pivotal to me. Meditation is very good, very important for me these days. For me.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Tiffany - how can we help?

D
Old 02-04-2017, 03:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry that tapering seems to be the only advice you get there in the UK chilledice.

There's a lot of links here tho- I'd do my best to look into all of them - ask for advice and help:

UK links
Old 02-04-2017, 03:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sorry that tapering seems to be the only advice you get there in the UK chilledice.

There's a lot of links here tho- I'd do my best to look into all of them - ask for advice and help:

UK links
Thanks Dee i will look into those links. This has to be my rock bottom NEVER felt this mentally ill before!

Getting detox meds from the dr here in the uk is like getting gold dust lol
Old 02-04-2017, 03:56 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrkUpwAlcohol1 View Post
Chilledice - welcome back and remember that it's ok! By coming here, you are reaching out for help, which is a good place to start. I like what Dee74 said - start coming here and posting when you need to. This is a good place for support and inspiration.
Stay positive and remember that You Can Do This. There is so much more to life than drinking! I have been sober now for over 9 years and it has been the best decision I have ever made! Check out the information site at breakupwithalcohol.com - there are exercises you can practice for when you are tempted; and also a list of things to do that do not involve drinking!
Please feel free to write and reach out again! Remember, you are not alone!
Thank you so much for your post and link, i was embarrassed to come back but im glad i did
Old 02-04-2017, 04:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you are going thru withdrawal and feel badly, please get medical help. Detox can be dangerous.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:37 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
If you are going thru withdrawal and feel badly, please get medical help. Detox can be dangerous.
Im not detoxing at the moment least as i have expressed, the dr's here in the uk are TERRIBLE for when it comes to detoxing and meds, im looking into detox more tomorrow. Thanks for your concern Least
Old 02-04-2017, 04:59 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Relapsing is part of recovery, sure I have met many people with 10, 20, 30 years of sobriety.

But rarely have I been to a meeting where at least a few people have fallen off the wagon.

We are not perfect, no one is.

Have you seen the Craig Ferguson youtube on alcoholism?

You may want to check it out.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:16 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scottmandue View Post
Relapsing is part of recovery, sure I have met many people with 10, 20, 30 years of sobriety.

But rarely have I been to a meeting where at least a few people have fallen off the wagon.

We are not perfect, no one is.

Have you seen the Craig Ferguson youtube on alcoholism?

You may want to check it out.
Craig Ferguson is fabulous
Old 02-04-2017, 05:29 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Chilledice, at some point you are going to have to face the music and likely go through some uncomfortable withdrawals or hangover. We all had to do it, but we only have to do it once if we stick to sobriety. There are other challenges that await us even sober, but they are not as bad as withdrawals.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:25 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hello, Chilled,

Good to see you back, Mate.

Stay strong like 100 lions!

It gets better, I promise.

All the best,

B.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:39 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BruceSA View Post
Hello, Chilled,

Good to see you back, Mate.

Stay strong like 100 lions!

It gets better, I promise.

All the best,

B.

Long time China how are you? good to hear from you mate, hope life is treating you well buddy!
Old 02-04-2017, 11:46 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm getting there.
Had a life-changing event a while ago and failed badly.
Quite a bit of white-knuckle stuff in the last few months. Getting my plan back together. And reading a lot here.
But I'm back now.
I still have the pugs, though (they're a bit greyer, like me!)
Wishing you all the best, Mate!
B.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:55 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BruceSA View Post
I'm getting there.
Had a life-changing event a while ago and failed badly.
Quite a bit of white-knuckle stuff in the last few months. Getting my plan back together. And reading a lot here.
But I'm back now.
I still have the pugs, though (they're a bit greyer, like me!)
Wishing you all the best, Mate!
B.
Damn man im sorry to hear that!

You achieved alot of sobriety time mate and you can again!

Lets all bash this booze together
Old 02-05-2017, 01:29 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

Relapsing is part of recovery,
Sorry Scott but that saying bugs me ...

Relapse is a part of my addiction, not my recovery.

I think it's important to make that distinction because we need to aim for no relapsing.

I'm not tearing people down either - I went back to drinking many many MANY times, but I've only found recovery once.

There's no way I'm retracing my steps.

D
Old 02-05-2017, 02:19 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi Chilledice,
I remember you from when I first got sober (I am back too). I have had GAD and OCD all of my life but the last year before I got sober it was much much worse, like you describe. It's almost as if there is this line where it elevates out of control. From my experience the anxiety isn't good at the beginning of sobriety (which is where I am again) but it is a hell of a lot better than the cycle of drinking). With drinking, there will never be enough alcohol and it will eventually kill you. Although it is very difficult in early sobriety, you know in time that it will only improve. Also, when you are sober you are able to make much better choices and what you once spent on alcohol can go to various methods of therapy for your anxiety. Please go to see someone that can help you through this. If you are too afraid of rehab maybe one of your close friends or family can help. It's definitely scary but really what alternative do you have? I used to ask myself "if not now, when?" because each day it was this horrible cycle. I had no choice but to get off. Some people claim they have absolutely no anxiety after quitting drinking. For me, it's ingrained, but I can say it's much more manageable being sober.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:11 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cusper View Post
Hi Chilledice,
I remember you from when I first got sober (I am back too). I have had GAD and OCD all of my life but the last year before I got sober it was much much worse, like you describe. It's almost as if there is this line where it elevates out of control. From my experience the anxiety isn't good at the beginning of sobriety (which is where I am again) but it is a hell of a lot better than the cycle of drinking). With drinking, there will never be enough alcohol and it will eventually kill you. Although it is very difficult in early sobriety, you know in time that it will only improve. Also, when you are sober you are able to make much better choices and what you once spent on alcohol can go to various methods of therapy for your anxiety. Please go to see someone that can help you through this. If you are too afraid of rehab maybe one of your close friends or family can help. It's definitely scary but really what alternative do you have? I used to ask myself "if not now, when?" because each day it was this horrible cycle. I had no choice but to get off. Some people claim they have absolutely no anxiety after quitting drinking. For me, it's ingrained, but I can say it's much more manageable being sober.
Yeah ive got GAD too, its a living hell at times with my mind just racing and racing with STUPID fears! I was offered pregabalin for it but ive heard some horror stories about it. The meds might be my only option now tho!
Old 02-05-2017, 03:38 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I had terrible anxiety when I was drinking. It was a kind of paranoid anxiety. At work for instance, I would see people having a discussion in an office with the door closed and assume they were discussing me, and my drinking. I was terrified and jumping at shadows all the time.

And the darkness in my life ... I couldn't "see" the future, I would make plans but have no confidence at all that I could see them through.

The anxiety and darkness lifted when I stopped drinking. There is still some social anxiety to deal with - I think it's just part of my make-up - but it's recognisably different from the panicky, terrifying, paranoid anxiety of drinking. And I have found reliable ways to cope with it and it is not a debilitating factor in my life.

Sobering up will allow you to work on the issues without the interference of alcohol. If one thing is clear from SR, all of us with physical and/or mental health issues cannot address them adequately without sobering up.

Never be embarrassed to come back to SR ... this community saves lives. It saved mine, for sure. Make a solid plan to stop, then a plan to stay stopped. All the very best to you.