Notices

Dont even know what to say anymore!

Old 02-05-2017, 03:49 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissPerfumado View Post
I had terrible anxiety when I was drinking. It was a kind of paranoid anxiety. At work for instance, I would see people having a discussion in an office with the door closed and assume they were discussing me, and my drinking. I was terrified and jumping at shadows all the time.

And the darkness in my life ... I couldn't "see" the future, I would make plans but have no confidence at all that I could see them through.

The anxiety and darkness lifted when I stopped drinking. There is still some social anxiety to deal with - I think it's just part of my make-up - but it's recognisably different from the panicky, terrifying, paranoid anxiety of drinking. And I have found reliable ways to cope with it and it is not a debilitating factor in my life.

Sobering up will allow you to work on the issues without the interference of alcohol. If one thing is clear from SR, all of us with physical and/or mental health issues cannot address them adequately without sobering up.

Never be embarrassed to come back to SR ... this community saves lives. It saved mine, for sure. Make a solid plan to stop, then a plan to stay stopped. All the very best to you.
Thank you ever so much for your post

I was diagnosed with ptsd and gad but im starting think that even if i didnt have those conditions that alcohol would STILL cause me panic attacks and anxiety! I think its just part of drinking, im goona see how i feel after a month or two of sobriety and if no improvement then maybe meds are needed.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:18 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hi Chilledice,

One more thing, I am attaching a link to a site just for anxiety. It has great podcasts on it. It's called Anxiety Guru. It really helps me.
[url=http://www.anxietyguru.net]Anxiety Guru/
Old 02-05-2017, 04:55 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hey, Chilledice! Welcome back! I was wondering what became of you, been awhile since I have seen you post. I'm sorry you haven't managed to 'solve the puzzle' of sobriety yet but the very fact that you're back and trying again is a great sign. It's time to get serious and develop a plan, Chilledice.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:17 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hang in there Chilledice. I can definitely identify with your post. I also suffer from extreme anxiety, depression (and OCD). My anxiety is very bad and I avoid restaurants, malls, etc. Never used to have this problem growing up. It all sort of coincided with the beginning of the drinking, when I started drinking to excess.

My PCP has told me that the drinking only makes the anxiety worse. What you are describing is actually pretty common among drinkers. Try to make it work to your advantage/add anxiety to the list of things that you will alleviate/eliminate by staying sober!
Old 02-05-2017, 07:37 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hi ChilledIce! I understand feeling a bit sheepish crawling back here multiple times only bcause i have been there!! I honestly cant count how many times I came here and declared I was done with drinking, only to disappear again for weeks, months etc. but we shouldn't feel that way at all. Its a process and quite frankly sometimes we dont get it right the first time, so dont be sorry!

I also started suffereing from major fear and anxiety over my drinking. I too have GAD but the drinking made it so so much worse!

Stick around and read lots. Hope you stay this time.