Notices

Moving forward

Old 03-10-2017, 12:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by radrag86 View Post
it just seems like I am expecting more,........something. Thank you .
There is more. Paradoxically it comes from giving, not receiving.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
radrag86

Well, it has been some time since I have visited, much less contributed at SR. But it is with humble happiness that I can still speak to my ongoing sobriety. I have wondered what things I can share in this journey that may offer help hope or insight to anyone else seeking to maintain their sobriety. For me it has been key that I stopped living in, or regretting the past. Having grown up with two alcoholic parents, it was important that I learned to forgive their own humanness, and accept there flaws. Although I feel growing in that environment helped to mold/define the me that I am now. ACOAs have their own issues much less their own alcoholism. But, they are both dead now and can offer no further clarity or understanding on that whole mess. So,…. if you live in the past you can become depressed, and alcohol, a depressant doesn’t help that. Do not dwell on the future either. Not beyond a wholesome management of it. If you dwell on the future you will become anxious and worried. I have found that I must simply live for/in the present, walking and living my sobriety with kindness and forgiveness towards myself and others. Also helpful to me was beginning a regimen of B vitamins. Alcoholics tend to have terrible nutrition, and the Bs are definitely the brain vitamins, the feel good vitamins. Look up vitamin treatment protocols for alcoholics. Of late my greatest challenge has been to harness my sobriety, to tie it in some tangible way to my life. It is amazing how much time was consumed with the simple act of drinking, but when that becomes your world and world view, I guess it’s no surprise. I am going to counseling, in an effort to cut through some of the mom dad issues, as well as to learn to be comfortable with my own real emotions that I have stuffed for so long. I am also looking to the spiritual side of things. That journey is rather broad right now, but I have learned much. Well, I hope someone finds a small nugget of wisdom here that may help them along. Life is a journey. I am focused on enjoying the rest of it as much as I can. I will try to come more to SR and try to contribute more on the fly. This site is truly a good thing. Blessings to all of you.