Notices

Australia day

Old 01-24-2017, 12:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heartcore View Post
I just have to say that one of the reasons I so love SR is the Aussie component!

I'm an American & we have our particular angles & shapes, as you have yours. It means a lot to me that this bridge between our cultures is so vital & well-sculpted.

There are many people on this site from Australia whom I have grown to love. (Special shout out to Dee - who blows my mind with his awe-inspiring & loving dedication!)...

Please, if any of you find yourselves ever in New Orleans, I hope you will reach out & allow me to share my amazing, musical, mind-blowing city with you (as your clean & sober sister).

It is a rare gift that our challenges so powerfully cross such vast distance. Proud to hold the thread of connection...(plus, you are all available at strange hours of my night). Appreciated!
i LOVE the fact that we are such a diverse group of people.. I actually recently watched a doco on New Orleans and it looks like an amazing place to visit....
Really hope to get to the US one day. I did Europe in September/ October, doing a week in London then toured across Italy which was magical. The States is next on my wish list- Maybe next Summer for us (Winter for you guys though.. xx
Old 01-24-2017, 12:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bemyself View Post
Apols, Nic, I forgot that you're not 'in' Perth and have friends coming to visit. But still, the beach, some nice prawns / whatever, and maybe a visit to welcome the new citizens, etc could fill much of the day?

Glad you have a friend who's supportive, and who is happy to stand up for you avoiding the crowd. You should be able to work out something do-able. The others can toddle off to do their own thing, perhaps.
I say i am from Perth as it's close enough in Aussie terms!
Old 01-24-2017, 12:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Still in recovery program. A day has always been booze. I am going to the recovery BBQ here and laying low. I do not feel an inkling of a thought to drink. I know people around me will be- and such people are noisy and disruptive to my peace of mind. So watching doco's.
I love docos- BBQ too sounds like an amazing day Phoenix x
Old 01-24-2017, 12:43 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Hope to make it to the beach, but will not be forgetting indigenous australians.

White Australia
Has a black history

Have a great day everyone.
We remember them too Steely especially as I'm a migrant myself xx
Old 01-24-2017, 12:44 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Ps. You Aussies all appear to be really awesome pirates of sobriety! Fierce & reckless in your power.

I am full of respect.

Happy Australia Day (whatever that means to you). Just stay clean & sober...
And Thankyou heartcore xx
Old 01-24-2017, 12:49 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Hi Nic,

I am another one year who votes for the beach. Pack a picnic, and a cooler full of Pelegríno, iced tea, water, soda. Let the ocean waves take away any anxiety or stress.

Do you have Thursdah and a Friday off, or just Thursday?
Yes I've just got home from work, spoken to the boys and the picnic on the beach is a go!! Meant to be a hot one -so will get there early and make some memories xxx

It's just the Thursday but so many people will be hung over on Friday so pull the All- Australian sickie lol!!! At my work the boys have been given the option to take Friday as a holiday instead of ringing in sick!! A couple have chosen that as the option too lol!!!
Old 01-24-2017, 12:51 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Aww. Couldn't help the good thoughts about Aussies.

You either have a kick-ass recovery community there, or a disproportionate amount of alcoholics (or both).

You are well represented.

I was taught in school that Aussies are pirates because their origins (as a colonized nation) were as a penal colony. New Orleans also!! They loaded people in chains onto boats from prisons in France (& from Africa) to create this city from swampland. Proudly, during American slavery times, New Orleans was home to an amazing proportion of free blacks, which shaped this culture irrevocably.

This still is a city which is unlike any other in America.

Proud to be part of an outlaw-origin community! That's sort of what SR is too, huh...

We are both carriers of history & transformers of history - all at the same time!
Personally & collectively.

As much as our own struggles seem important, we are all small elements in the tides of the human story. Happy to stand with the pirates!!
I think unfortunately Aussies have quite a reputation for liking their drink!! But we have a fantastic culture of humour and sportsmanship too (I hope!!)
Old 01-24-2017, 01:23 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Whatever it takes - just for today.

Hi Nic,

Great post and I also love the diversity of this forum. It has helped me so much, especially during my sleepless nights. It has been great to have 'round the clock' support - whether I'm posting or just reading for comfort.

I don't have plans as yet, but think I'll do some pottering around the house and catch up with family. I'll also spend some time with the real Scruffanie (see profile pic)

At 47 days I'm definitely not ready to be around masses of people drinking. I do not feel that I would drink but why take the risk right?

A picnic with your boys at the beach sounds lovely and relaxing.

Whatever you all do, have a wonderful day.

Scruff
Old 01-24-2017, 02:58 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Hope to make it to the beach, but will not be forgetting indigenous australians.

White Australia
Has a black history

Have a great day everyone.
That's beautiful steely. I like that a lot.

I'm finishing up at about three on the Wednesday, driving south for three hours, grabbing a motel and then up early on Thursday morning for four days of solid bushwalking. Camping under the stars in kangaroo valley. Can't wait.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:07 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scruffanie View Post
Hi Nic,

Great post and I also love the diversity of this forum. It has helped me so much, especially during my sleepless nights. It has been great to have 'round the clock' support - whether I'm posting or just reading for comfort.

I don't have plans as yet, but think I'll do some pottering around the house and catch up with family. I'll also spend some time with the real Scruffanie (see profile pic)

At 47 days I'm definitely not ready to be around masses of people drinking. I do not feel that I would drink but why take the risk right?

A picnic with your boys at the beach sounds lovely and relaxing.

Whatever you all do, have a wonderful day.

Scruff
Well done on your 47 days first of all!!! Great work!! And I must say the real scruffanie is very cute haha!!
I love SR too, I'm a lot more active this time round than I have been the other 543627263563 times I've tried to get sober and it makes me feel stronger.. it's such a lovely, supportive community of people all sharing the same common goal..
I hope you enjoy your Aussie Day Hun and enjoy your family time xx
Old 01-24-2017, 03:08 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tufty13 View Post
That's beautiful steely. I like that a lot.

I'm finishing up at about three on the Wednesday, driving south for three hours, grabbing a motel and then up early on Thursday morning for four days of solid bushwalking. Camping under the stars in kangaroo valley. Can't wait.
Wow 4 days of bushwalking sounds exhausting but exciting... can't wait to hear all about it :-)
Old 01-24-2017, 03:28 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Just like many holiday themed days, many forget why such are given. Labour day, boxing day- even the origins of Xmas traditions. A time to remember the commonality of all people- from wherever, A time to remember respect and tolerance.