Notices

Hope for Depressing Times

Old 01-20-2017, 04:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

"In that regard, too, as an agnostic / freethinker, I often feel offended (privately) by the numerous overtly religious (Christian) references and exhortations made in many people's posts, sprinkled as liberally throughout them as breathing. To me, these stand out much more vividly than anything which is merely relating to - not 'promoting advocacy of' - current and highly significant, and distressing (for many) political developments. "

....thankyou. This can be a valuable place....but the endless invoking of prayer, the book, faith and all the Jesus stuff is a big reason why I end up just turning it off after a few weeks. "Recovery" starts to feel like a cheap bible and a handful of new age slogans. Pictures of rainbows.....new starts, the endless day 1's . I just walk off. Is there any more realistic way of getting out?
Old 01-20-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please read:

The Newcomers Forum is a safe and welcoming place for newcomers. Respect is essential. Debates over Recovery Methods are not allowed on the Newcomer's Forum. Posts that violate this rule will be removed without notice. (Support and experience only please.)
Old 01-20-2017, 04:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Painter and Least, thank you for the music, really. It was what I needed today and didn't realize it. I'm planning my set list for the night.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:30 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks for your support. Sorry about the "God"stuff. That's why i mentioned my Daoist leanings, considered quite heretical in some quarters. Sometimes i feel a little like Woody Allen who said " I would never consider joining any club that decided to admit me as a member".
You may be familiar with my thoughts on the "God Stuff" which appear elsewhere. Clearly I'm neither fish (a Christian symbol) nor fowl (hope not "foul").
Anyway, as this site is one hundred percent therapeutic and non political (!!!) non religious or whatever (!!!) but within those parameters one may still quote MLK ("Come let us reason together") may I suggest that perhaps all or at least a substantial number of those on this thread may agree on two things.

1. Drinking or drugging only makes it worse!

2. It seems sad to eliminate all humanity with nukes, although this may solve the drinking or drugging problem

You will note that these suggestions are relentlessly therapeutic. No one of course insists on them although they may qualify as a "Modest Proposal" (see J. Swift)

W.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Old 01-20-2017, 04:38 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Who is "MLK" ?
Old 01-20-2017, 04:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thank you Bill.
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Martin Luther King.

Guys that dot in the previous post was my patience being exhausted.

If we can't stop taking potshots at each other the thread will be closed.

Dee
SR
  # 29 (permalink)  

Martin Luther King.
Only one of the 20th century's greats.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:43 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sorry Dee. Cross posted before yours.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:52 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

For those of us struggling or those of us who have been sober for awhile. Did it really matter who was the leader of any given country? I'm guessing not. We were (or are) absolutely miserable, possibly scared to death, unhealthy and possibly alone. This forum is to help those folks. Right? I can tell you one thing, when I was hauled in to the hospital with both legs busted up completely and blew a .29, not only did I not care about politics, I didn't know what it meant! I was concerned about the right here, and right now. Was I going to walk again? Will my wife leave me? Is my business finished? Will I lose my house? What will my family think? What will my friends think? What will my employees think!!? Man, talk about starting at the bottom (for me, I understand others have had it worse). It was this site, SoberRecovery, and Anna, Dee, Opivital, Scott and others that got me at least on the right street for the path to recovery. And if worked for this old mule in the Midwest of the US, it can't work for many others. Off my soap box.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:47 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I once heard a guy say that he'd agree to run naked through DuPont Circle in D.C. if it would give him permanent sobriety. I said, "If that works, then go for it!" The only uncertainty was whether he would have to keep doing it for the rest of his life. Have visited the Circle often (fully clothed!) and never spotted him. Just out of curiosity has anyone seen him? Could it be one of you on SR? I know it's not you, Dee, since the transportation costs would be prohibitive.

W.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:54 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Doesn't sound like you're as depressed anymore Bill so we'll leave it there.

Thread closed.

Dee
SR