Notices

The verdict is in.... Terminated.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

....mate. eff working. It's a sad way to spend your life. I sat and watched the 'managers' poring over their spreadsheets.....the do nothing, produce nothing parasite class. Stood up in one of their 'team building' workshops, refused their bullsh*t and walked out.

It felt brilliant. Life does go on.....you can do better. I've survived it. You will too.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am so sorry this has happened to you ((((hugs)))) I've been down that road a couple of times, not fun at all. Let it make you stronger and not weaker don't give in.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry things worked out like this K.

I think you're at a crossroads - drink and make things massively worse...

or hit the ground running - continue going to AA find a new job, any job right now, and get to keep your apartment.

You're 30? you can totally turn things around - plenty of time left to you

make this chapter 2, not a re-run of chapter one, ok?
D
Old 01-17-2017, 03:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by canguy View Post
....mate. eff working. It's a sad way to spend your life. I sat and watched the 'managers' poring over their spreadsheets.....the do nothing, produce nothing parasite class. Stood up in one of their 'team building' workshops, refused their bullsh*t and walked out.

It felt brilliant. Life does go on.....you can do better. I've survived it. You will too.
I wanted to say eff working many times - now I can't I wish I could.

How are you doing canguy?

D
Old 01-17-2017, 03:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

....not wanting to hijack the thread, but just to reply Dee

It was a great thing to do....very liberating.

But I was able to do it because I had thought and planned, It is not something to do in the moment. I had watched the workplace get worse and wanted out.

The marriage had gone wrong, (not going to repeat the story for another audience).......so, just GO.

Got paid out....but it's now a loose unstructured kind of life. Not so great for sobriety. Actually...it's a dangerous life. Part of me just sets it aside, another part gets me on the plane for another ride.

Wish sober wasn't so effing boring,
Old 01-17-2017, 04:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

"....but it's now a loose unstructured kind of life. Not so great for sobriety. Actually...it's a dangerous life."
that wouldn't be my idea of liberating

as with dee, i said the eff work thing,too...when i was able to work.
now id love to get back in the workforce, but unable to.

hope youre doing ok, K66. please check in,eh?
Old 01-17-2017, 04:30 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure K66 won;t mind a little diversion as this plays into their situation too:

Wish sober wasn't so effing boring,
Sounds like you have the absolute freedom to make your life what you want it to be canguy - if it's boring, do stuff....build... create... follow...enjoy stuff - just don't drink.

what's stopping you?
Old 01-17-2017, 05:53 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

K, I am so sorry to hear this. Please, please, please don't drink.

I had a high paying job and lost it because I sent an email to my bosses while in a blackout one night. Just because they were also personal friends doesn't change business. I also never had a written warning, ever. Never took a sick day, rarely took vacation. All it took was just one email. I'll never forget waking up that next morning and slightly remembering and being horrified and praying. I sat down at the computer and looked and sure enough, I had sent it. I was hoping it was a dream.

Anyway, the job at I'm at now doesn't pay as much but I am a boatload more happier than I was. I may not make the money any more and had to make some adjustments to spending but, in the long run, it forced me to realize that I couldn't deny I had a drinking problem.

Please, take this opportunity to change things for yourself. You might actually find yourself in a better place. Just don't drink! That's not going to help the situation. Please.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Concensus is no drinking, some amazing recovery stories here.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:43 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

k66......you will get through this. Work is not everything.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:54 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Yet I'm on the fence about drinking again after 5 days sober... I want to out of spite..

That's really a dumb idea.

I know, because I did that when I got really angry with my boss.

It's like drinking poison and hoping that the other guy dies.

It doesn't work.

Three days later, my boss was still an a-hole and I was trying to recover from a 3 day bender.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:01 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
I may not make the money any more and had to make some adjustments to spending but, in the long run, it forced me to realize that I couldn't deny I had a drinking problem.
That's precisely what I was thinking, LadyBlue. It's the only good thing that can come from this. This major event was directly due to the drinking, so there is no wiggle room to rationalize it away. It can be a clear wake up call, which can actually be good in the long run.

I wish I had something very clear early on, but I always came up with some BS to justify more drinking. I wasted about seven years ignoring wake up calls that were not "clear enough" in my mind. It can get so much worse if K doesn't take immediate corrective action.

The only solution is absolute abstinence.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:05 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

K66,

I rarely post 'this could be you' type stories.....but in mid-2009, when my entire workplace was shut down, and all of us made redundant: my drinking (which until then had been slightly curbed by work hours, routines and obligations) took off with a vengeance. I was furious, in a rage (despite us knowing the closure was coming), and yes: grieving.

I became an absolute all-day drunk. And at age 54 at the time with little genuine knowledge or experience of how serious alcoholism can become, including the worst stage physical dependence......I ran with it. For a while. All manner of other losses came along (deaths of family members and pets), and I still kept drinking. Not truly realising how everything and anything could be an excuse to keep on doing it. Despite increasing illness, dysfunction, alarm from family and friends....you name it.

Several months after the redundancy, I voluntarily went to a 10 day detox - to get sober for the first time in my life. That ensuing period of sobriety lasted a mere three or so months. During that time, I trained in small business, set myself up as a sole trader from home, got a few clients / projects from the old networks. Then another awful family loss and conflict happened, another death of a pet....back I went to the booze.

Fast forward to now, early 2017, I've been in and out rehabs, periods of recovery(the longest, 7 months), AA, outpatient groups, a couple of suicide attempts, almost complete estrangement from my daughters...and back in a relapse again. At age 61.

That's a mere synopsis of my journey in and out of recovery. The job loss was - in hindsight - what gave me 'reasons' (many justifiable) to ramp up the drinking which had been escalating many years beforehand along the way.

At your young age - you're much younger even than my kids - please, please take to heart what all the others here are encouraging you to do. You have so much ahead of you, even if it doesn't feel like that right now. In short: you have the support and knowledge of a community like this, most of whom have been through terrible stuff, on multiple levels. Please don't dismiss out of hand what they're offering to you. Let us know how you're doing.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:51 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
K66
Sober Date March 19, 2018 *One Day At A Time*

Thank you everyone for all your stories, guidance and insights. I had one beer and it took me about two hours to drink it. Done. Didn't even enjoy it. Which makes me very happy. I poured the last few sips out because it was **** warm and disgusting. This is proving to myself that my progress is coming along well because even my cravings aren't even really there.. When I said out of spite I meant more like... That would have been my thought process before but that's not the case now. 😎 Yay!
Old 01-17-2017, 08:01 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you stopped.

I hate to be a downer but....I think you should maybe consider this a lucky escape rather than some kind of proof you're growing out of your taste for beer K.?

The next few weeks are probably going to be pretty stressful - you will be tested again...

to get to somewhere better than where you are, you'll need a pretty good plan - one that doesn't allow for any drinking at all.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 01-17-2017, 08:01 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by K66 View Post
I had one beer and it took me about two hours to drink it. Done. Didn't even enjoy it.
I'm glad it was just one beer, K66, but be careful with this kind of thinking. It sounds like progress, but it is insidious, because it is not immediately apparent as the addiction itself, only in disguise.

What if you had enjoyed the beer? What then?

IT will probably come back and argue that beer might feel good at some point in the future.

Originally Posted by K66 View Post
This is proving to myself that my progress is coming along well because even my cravings aren't even really there..
What if they were there? What then?

Those cravings may return.

EDIT: Dee beat me to it, posted at about same time.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:46 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I lost a job that was very very important to me - both financially & as part of my identity almost two years ago.

That job loss propelled me into a series of events that saw me move from Alaska to New Orleans. I did drink. I did get sober. I did change. I did survive. I did grow in so many ways.

I like my life better now. I am happier, I have wonderful people in my life, I have an interesting job in which I think I do as much or more good as the one I lost.

Trust. Try. Throw yourself forward.
Something is waiting for you that you cannot even imagine today.
The universe flows, things change, & life is just one learning after another.
I send a strong hug. Keep your head high. Good can come of this event...
Old 01-17-2017, 09:14 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I've been right were you are exactly. It ended up being a blessing that I was let go. I currently have a job I love and making a lot more money with less stress. This was right after my last bender in May of last year. So you never know what is in store for you after one door closes.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:27 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I'm really sorry to hear you lost your job K66.

A little story from my past:
A ways back I wasnt doing so well at a job I had. I was let go basically for poor performance. At the time I had a couple of weeks sober and was almost in shock as I drove home. I of course thought about using but thankfully didnt. I was mostly living month to month and barely had enough money to last a couple of months. I spent a very stressful month looking for a new job, but found one. It turned out to be a very good change for me as the job was much better and I started it fairly fresh with 1.5 months sober. In the end me losing my original job turned out to be a very good change for my life. I'm sure things would've turned out for the much worse if I wound up using instead of staying sober while I looked for work.

I can't say the same will happen for you, but I am fairly certain your life won't get better if you use over this.

I wish you the best!
Old 01-17-2017, 09:33 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Just find another job right away. I work construction so lay offs are kind of part of the job since not every company has projects on the go year round. Here in Canada we have employment insurance so if I get laid off and can't find work right away I can go on EI. If worse comes to worse I go to a temp agency and work for minimum wage ($12.30 per hour). Haven't really had to since I usually find work within a week or 2 after being laid off.