Notices

Failure again

Old 01-12-2017, 06:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Failure again

Well I joined this forum on 2nd August 2016. I have desperately tried to stop drinking but get a few days or a couple of weeks (at best) and I'm back on the wine.

I managed 6 days sober from new year then caved in last weekend and been drinking since. At work yesterday I'm positive I was still drunk from necking 3 bottles of wine the previous day and I didn't start work till 1pm. I started to get withdrawals towards evening shaking so bad I couldn't write. How embarrassing but it still didn't stop me from calling on the way home for another couple of bottles.

Back on day 1 again. I felt great after a few days sober last week then like a fool drank Saturday evening. I'm joining the weekend forum and need to post in the January class.

I'm 50 this year and the drinking is getting worse. I need to stay stopped am seriously getting concerned about my health and what I'm doing to it. We don't know what is going on inside our bodies sometimes until it's too late 😔
Old 01-12-2017, 06:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

True. Those withdrawals keep getting worse too.

Have you read the Kindling thing?

Link:

https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicati...22-1/25-34.pdf
Old 01-12-2017, 06:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

What's been prompting the return to drinking?
Old 01-12-2017, 06:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
True. Those withdrawals keep getting worse too.

Have you read the Kindling thing?

Link:

https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicati...22-1/25-34.pdf
I know they just get worse. I am taking diazepam today to try and help with them.
Ive not read it but I will thanks
Old 01-12-2017, 07:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
What's been prompting the return to drinking?
I think I fool myself into believing I can be a social drinker. My husband had a couple of glasses of wine Saturday night and I thought I will just have a glass. I never bought wine but there was some in the garage from Christmas so outside I go fetch in a couple of bottles and virtually polished them off. The one bottle I hid so I could have a "secret" top up. It's madness.
He will only have a drink Saturday and possibly Sunday but not much.
I know I can never drink again I'm just fooling myself
Old 01-12-2017, 07:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think the hardest thing for us to let go of is the belief and hope that we can drink like normal people.
But....once we do let go of it, life becomes simpler and better.
You do not have to be defined by drinking. Peace.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

always the hope the next time will be different, when the evidence shows us the other hundreds of times it wasn't.But we still believe this time is going to be different. Especially when you have a period of time sober, its like we think its al gone away as we haven't had anything. I think what people are saying is true and I need to fully believe it an accept 'we are alcoholics, and we will never drink like other people,we cannot drink'. After all the hell we have all been through I really am believing the people that are saying once we accept it, it gets easier and better. The fight to moderate is too damn exhausting anyway isn't it? Have one drink and spend the next however long wondering how you can get another, because one is never enough.Its so tiring, I think to break free we have to accept the truth of it. And the fact we are here, is saying we are either so very nearly at that point and on the right track.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad youre back, Pinky. I fell off a few days ago too and came back. Youre not alone.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Pinky,

Glad you are back. I learned after way too many Day Ones that I couldn't control my drinking. I would tell myself that I would just have one, that I could moderate, but that never worked. I have been sober a little over a year and life has been much easier.

You can do this, think about what you need to add to your toolbox.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
I think the hardest thing for us to let go of is the belief and hope that we can drink like normal people.
But....once we do let go of it, life becomes simpler and better.
You do not have to be defined by drinking. Peace.
Yes I am going to keep telling myself this. Thank you
Old 01-12-2017, 09:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kel08 View Post
always the hope the next time will be different, when the evidence shows us the other hundreds of times it wasn't.But we still believe this time is going to be different. Especially when you have a period of time sober, its like we think its al gone away as we haven't had anything. I think what people are saying is true and I need to fully believe it an accept 'we are alcoholics, and we will never drink like other people,we cannot drink'. After all the hell we have all been through I really am believing the people that are saying once we accept it, it gets easier and better. The fight to moderate is too damn exhausting anyway isn't it? Have one drink and spend the next however long wondering how you can get another, because one is never enough.Its so tiring, I think to break free we have to accept the truth of it. And the fact we are here, is saying we are either so very nearly at that point and on the right track.
So true I know I can't drink again I need to stop fooling myself. And no one drink is never enough never will be. Thank you
Old 01-12-2017, 09:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluedog97 View Post
Glad youre back, Pinky. I fell off a few days ago too and came back. Youre not alone.
Thank you we can support each other?
Old 01-12-2017, 09:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Hi Pinky,

Glad you are back. I learned after way too many Day Ones that I couldn't control my drinking. I would tell myself that I would just have one, that I could moderate, but that never worked. I have been sober a little over a year and life has been much easier.

You can do this, think about what you need to add to your toolbox.
Hi delilah
Yes I'm fed up of day ones and I know I can't moderate.
Well done on 1 year you must be so proud.
I am thinking about what to add. Maybe write a daily journal. Tried that before and it helped. Thank you
Old 01-12-2017, 09:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's hard to stop drinking what you like, if it's still around the house. Any chance your husband would agree to not drink, or at least not drink wine, till you're " over the hump"?

Accepting we can't drink, is tough, especially as wine is every where. I can tell you from my experience of being a wine drinker....4 1/2 years sober, I don't miss it a bit! I'm so much more in control of my health and happiness, sober
Old 01-12-2017, 09:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Acceptance makes quitting a little bit easier. Being an alcoholic is a lot of damn work. When we finally break the cycle and accept that our lives our going to change (for the better), I believe it helps us move forward.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
AA Member

hi pinky glad youre here

Old 01-12-2017, 10:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Recovering

Pinky. Whatever happens, stay with us. One of my biggest mistakes was not coming back here after a relapse (or waiting nearly one year). So well done on coming straight back here - you've more sense than me.

Don't give up giving up.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pondlady View Post
It's hard to stop drinking what you like, if it's still around the house. Any chance your husband would agree to not drink, or at least not drink wine, till you're " over the hump"?

Accepting we can't drink, is tough, especially as wine is every where. I can tell you from my experience of being a wine drinker....4 1/2 years sober, I don't miss it a bit! I'm so much more in control of my health and happiness, sober
I feel a bit mean as he works long hours 6 days a week and likes to maybe have 1 or 2 glasses. He won't finish the bottle half is left on the side calling me 😔 so I am going to ask him not to have any or at least in front of me
Well done 4 1/2 years ☺
Old 01-12-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Acceptance makes quitting a little bit easier. Being an alcoholic is a lot of damn work. When we finally break the cycle and accept that our lives our going to change (for the better), I believe it helps us move forward.
Thank you I am determined to break the cycle
Old 01-12-2017, 01:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by january161992 View Post
hi pinky glad youre here

Hi January
I keep coming back not going to let this beat me