Notices

Sobriety is Key

Old 01-08-2017, 10:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety is Key

Okay everyone, here is my story. I started drinking around age 15, and enjoyed smoking weed more at the time, but understood that alcohol was going to be my KEY in life. Weed became a paranoia and alcohol seduced me more toward the age of 16. I met a group of drinking friends we named "the four horsemen" (based off the apocalypse 1887). Our "adventure" started in my junior year in summer of 2007 and ended quickly in summer of 08. That was a year that changed everything for my friend because he was an adult, but for me it changed nothing because I was a minor. My best friend sobered up (eventually), and I kept drinking (even on house arrest/probation), and drinking... and drinking. And now I'm scared to interact socially and have any job of the sort... I used to drink beer, but now I just want to drink a fifth of vodka a few times a week. Any advice? Thanks
Old 01-09-2017, 01:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Thedude

Coming here really was a gamechanger for me. Not only did I get great support help and understanding but I saw people being successfully sober.

That was a revelation to me - it could be done

Read around - post as much as you like. See what others are doing and look into the ways and methods that make sense to you.

I hope you'll find this place as fundamental to change as I did

Welcome

D
Old 01-09-2017, 02:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Dude,

Welcome.

My story can relate...I first drank booze at an early age...5 or 6 yo.

At that age I drank to get drunk. I didn't drink all the time though until about 17.

Once I had a job, I decided drinking at home was smart. It was cheaper and safe.

I decided to quit when I started having anxiety attacks and pancreas issues.

Quitting was a living hell. I thought I was going insane. The crave was strong.

I found SR. This place saved my life.

I am clean now. I am stronger, but there is no telling the long term damage I have done.

When I crave I remind myself I am an addict. Being clean feels amazing.

Hope my story helps.

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

hi dude

i joined aa and got sober during the bungee jumping fad in 1992

remember that?

aa is a big social club full of wild n crazy and some amazing people

check it out!

Old 01-09-2017, 11:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us and that you are ready to begin a sober life. I hope that you look around the site and see that many of us have succeeded and you can too.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us and that you are ready to begin a sober life. I hope that you look around the site and see that many of us have succeeded and you can too.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! This site helped me to get sober. Spend some time reading and posting. You should join the January 2017 class, you will have the support of others who also committed or recommitted to sobriety this month.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"Any advice? "

Keep reading, reading, reading here. From what I've seen, every story known to alcoholics is here, coupled with excellent advice. It's helped me tremendously.

And, you are still young. That's a blessing, so value it as such. Not as in "I've got plenty of time to keep doing this," but as in "If I get this straight NOW, I will have respected my present and future potential instead of having wasted years, decades, in alcohol and drugs."
Old 01-09-2017, 04:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Dude, welcome to SR, I hope you find it useful it has been for me. I found, the only way to make the fear stop was the to stop. All that time I thought the booze was helping me through my emotional crap, it wasn't I it was making it worse which then made me drink more. I hope you find your recovery soon because the amount you are drinking those demons must seem pretty huge and scary right now, but you can beat them.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks D1, it's pretty crazy you started drinking that young. I also started having anxiety attacks after binge drinking a few days in a row, but I came to realize it was more of a withdrawal from dehydration. I started drinking a glass of water for every vodka drink, or even beer, and found my solution. It was a poor solution that kept me drinking with less fear.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome dude! There are a lot of great people here and lots of support when you are ready to get sober. Are you ready to do this?
Old 01-10-2017, 03:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Dude. Welcome. Our orbits are similar, albeit seperated by a few years of age. But, it just shows me that my alcoholism is not discriminatory in who it picks. Age, race, gender? Equal opportunity destroyer. It does have one goal....bury me in misery and ultimately death (if not physically, emotionally for sure) if I continued to drink.

With that said, please do come check out the January newcomers class thread. Very supportive and we are all starting out on this journey and sharing a lot of the same struggles. The Dude Abides! (Random movie quote anyone?)

Be well. CW.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome.

"Any advice?"

Quit drinking, full stop. Some people will say to quit for a year, 90 days, 30 days, whatever and see how it works for you (the Big Book of AA talks about this- a certain population of "heavy drinkers" who aren't alcoholics can do this - most of us, and all of us alcoholics, simply cannot)....can you do it?

You sound like you're still trying to moderate, and make accommodations so you can drink. Most of us tried that and it worked for some degree....for only so long.

I'd echo what others have said, and read around here, and learn. See what you recognize in others' posts and think about what drinking is truly doing FOR your life.

Good luck.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This guy was young too:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...my-friend.html
Old 01-10-2017, 02:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Thedude!!
Old 01-10-2017, 03:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're so glad to have you with us, thedude. I tried controlling my drinking for years - but it was never possible. Using willpower to have ljust a fewl never worked. Once it was in my system, all bets were off. I hope you'll consider how much better your life would be without it. You can get free.