Notices

Minute One ...Again

Old 01-07-2017, 06:29 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

One of the rules here is that we don't engage in debate about recovery methods and it's one of the many reasons this board has been so helpful to me...in the end, the only path to sobriety is the one that works for you.

That said, real life support can make things lots easier, with meetings, support groups, or therapy.

If you do some research online, there are several approaches you might want to investigate. For me, being a physiologist at heart, researching the biochemical effects of alcohol addiction has been a life-changer. There are so many emotional and societal issues that are entangled with our drinking....but at the core, alcohol is a highly addictive, toxic substance that hijacks our brains ability to feel good without alcohol on a molecular level. The addiction- and disease-causing potential of alcohol is something that is ignored by the beverage industry, the restaurant industry, and many others because alcohol is tremendously profitable. It's very much like tobacco in the mid-1900s...at one point, it was touted as being healthy to smoke. Sound familiar?

(Hops down off soapbox.) Point is, I'm done being their sucker. That and this board are the reasons I have been sober for over a year.

You can do this.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sobriety is something I've managed to do but not maintain. I've eaten nothing since this bender began and really just trying to see my way out. Long term recovery seems in the distant future.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaye1313 View Post
I'm not a believer in the lack of agency model. I got myself into this, I'll get myself out. To believe you are powerless is to give up responsibility for how you got here. I don't do that.
Hi Jaye, welcome to SR. I felt/feel the same way you do (quoted above). I was able to leverage this site and challenge myself to a life of sobriety. After a few false starts, I have made it 14-15 months now and its one of the smarter decisions I've made in my life.

I think what others are saying is that IF you are not able to slay the beast on your own, there is no shame in seeking help. I agree with that. I've vowed publicly and to my wife that if I ever fell off, I would enter rehab. Sobriety is that important to me, and its that awesome.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jaye

I don't think you need to sign a lifetime contract for a particular recovery method in order to stop drinking.

I didn't want to live that way a second longer so I just stopped, and with the help of the community here I stayed, stopped.

Thats what worked for me.

There's plenty of opportunity to work out what works for you, but I think you need to aim to be sober first to really figure that out.

D