Notices

I'm crying, angry and i WANT a drink so bad

Old 01-01-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Whatever it takes - just for today.

Originally Posted by Kelly12390 View Post
Sorry for ranting, I hope I didn't come across a bratty... I will stay sober, I know my sister has better things to talk about than me.. I know I'm moany but my goodness I feel so low
Rant away Kelly. We are all here to listen and help you get through, minute by minute, day by day.

By posting here you did something brave, you realised you needed support and you asked for. It may not seem much but it is a huge step in your continued recovery.

'I alone can do it, but I cannot do it alone' AA quote.

Keep posting, around the clock if you need to. The support here is wonderful and I wouldn't have gotten as far as I have without it.

Sending you hugs and strength

xx Scruff
Old 01-01-2017, 05:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Kelly. What are some activities you enjoy that don't involve drinking? I quit drinking over six months ago, after a 20+ year binge, and it has helped immensely to have other things I enjoy doing to distract me from thoughts of drinking. I think you will find yourself in a very good place if you can quit now. I'd LOVE to have those years between 26 and 42 back. Lots of bad things happened related to my drinking including lots of bad choices I wouldn't have made sober. Right now your addictive voice will try to convince you that you should still drink. But I have never once in many years on this site heard anyone say they were glad they drank. It really helps to play the tape through - past the first couple drinks. What happens then? If you want to you should share the reasons you want to quit. That helps a lot too
Old 01-01-2017, 05:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kelly

I has major FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) until I realised that all I ever did when I went out was get smashed and embarrassing.

I built myself a new life, and committed myself to staying sober - not because I had to be, but because I wanted to be...and that made all the difference.

I love my life now - no more wishing I was someone else

D
Old 01-01-2017, 05:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Kelly,

Welcome to SR! You are so smart to stop drinking at 26, I wish I had done that. The beginning is hard, but so worth it.

What do you like to do? Now would be a great time to take a class, join a book club, sign up for a training team to run in a charity race, all great ways to meet people.

What are your plans for the evening? Find a good movie, take a bath, find a good book, go to the gym...

I promise it gets easier, I'm glad you are here.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey Kelly!

I know the feeling! I'm 28 and I quit drinking last year. I felt so isolated for a long time because all my friends went out all the time and I no longer could. It sucks. It's not fair. But believe me, you will be so much better off sober. I have just over a year sober and it was easily the BEST year of my life. Take it one day, one hour, one minute, at a time. The feeling will pass. When you wake up sober with a clear mind in the morning believe me you will be so happy you didn't go out with them! That's one thing I remind myself when I have FOMO and want to drink - just think of that good feeling you will have the next day without that hangover.

I journal a lot - and when I felt angry, sad, etc I wrote it all out. Didn't hold anything back. I remember crying so many nights sitting alone knowing others were out partying having a good time. But I'm so thankful for those nights - they made me stronger. This night will make you stronger as long as you don't give in to the urge to drink. Find a book, a movie, bath, write, etc. post on here, read through posts; you have to have realized now you are not alone and you aren't the only one who stays in on New Years.

We are here for you

-Leasha
Old 01-01-2017, 10:49 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Kelly: Obviously you feel very "shamed" by not being able to drink with your "friends" who, you think, "look down" on you for that. And, with enormous courage and determination, you seem to have resisted the temptation to give in to drinking. Good for you! The real you! (Not the old addictive voice which up to now has enslaved you). It's tough at the beginning. We've all been there. At first you may feel more comfortable if you distance yourself from your old friends. Find some other companions who, like you, don't drink. Then eventually I can guarantee that you will gradually feel more comfortable not drinking. It's going to take awhile but it will happen if you just hang in there and live one day at a time. I've been sober for a long time (over 20 years) and, even though I've got a lot of challenges in my life with getting old and my kids living far away, drinking never occurs to me. I've got a loving wife, a fine doctor and a loving dog. And the trees and sky in the winter sunlight are beautiful. Keep doing what you're doing and you will know happiness. I wish i had quit at your age. It would have avoided so much heartache. Keep posting. We're all with you!

Bill
Old 01-02-2017, 01:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Kelly - how are you doing today?
Old 01-02-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi Kelly - this will pass. It takes time, but it is perfectly possible to not miss out and be sober at the same time. Hang in there!

P