Notices

Listening to music is a trigger

Old 12-21-2016, 02:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

I actually find it the opposite way round. When I'm drinking I don't really listen to music. In fact I don't really do anything! When I'm sober I'm listening to music nearly all day. Even at work I've often got my headphones in. I listen to a lot of hip hop/ rap as well, which as you can imagine, contains lots of references to drinking. But it doesn't really bother me. I try to just see it as what it is. If half the rappers drank and took the amount of drugs they say they do, they certainly wouldn't be recording music!
Old 12-21-2016, 03:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Punk music is a trigger for me of when I lived in nyc and the nostalgia of going to see the bands in concert and drinking. Stumbling around in boots and coats with all my drunk "friends". I saw some great bands, but I can't listen to them anymore. Its a trigger and almost like a heartbreak for those "good memories" that I know probably would have been way better had I been sober and could remember 90% more of them!
Old 12-21-2016, 03:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Don't despair, once you're further out you find out that you enjoy things much more when sober. It makes sense that anything we associated directly with alcohol is going to be a trigger in the beginning.

If anything, you also may find yourself scratching your head as to why you liked to listen to certain music. It leaves you wondering how much enjoyment there was in the tune itself or was it the alcohol (or weed) leading you to love the tune?

Either way, seriously, your appreciation will come back. It may be different than what it was when you drank but it will return.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Same as sameoldsameold - was there from the start of it all in the 80's got into it the lot the same as you, whatever there was a buzz from but just never stopped / couldn't stop, problem being same as us all it getting worse with age not better - always been all or nothing - nothing is working so much better though and whilst I found it very hard to let go and walk away from everything I've ever known realised it was the only way I could make this work.

For me it's stay away from it all - going out to places i used to pubs etc is a thing of the past - not sure that's ever gonna change as i can't see any point for me in them anymore but you know what it doesn't bother me anymore either - realised what is important in my life and it's not a world of make believe (I thought it was all real) and escape.

sorry if this has completely gone off the original thread
Old 12-21-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I used to drink and have pity parties while listening to certain bands. Tool, Seether, and the Allman Brothers in particular. I quit listening to all of this when I went to try to get sober.

It took me about a year to start listening to any of it again.

At two years I went to a TOOL concert with a guy from AA. It was the most awesome show I have ever experienced. I never in my life dreamed that I would/could go to a show like that and enjoy it sober.

You just got to hang in there and give it time.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:14 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

It took me literally 3+ years before I was able to listen to music again. No music in the car, no music at home...nothing. NOW, I play music in the car and at home. I still haven't listened to live music yet like at a bar and I don't see that happening any time soon. I'm not ready for that yet even after four years.

Great thread!
Old 12-21-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Great topic..

I totally can relate to drinking and listening to music.

But I have begun to enjoy listening and playing music sober.

As other's have said,
I have branched out and listen to all kinds of different stuff too.

My absolute favorite band is Allman Brothers. I am pretty sure Greg Allman is sober and has been for quite some time. This is inspiration to me... Kinda like if he can do it I can do it sort of thing....

Anyways, let's all keep enjoying music and not letting our sobriety get in the way.

Music makes me high!
Old 12-21-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I have two sober shows under my belt so far. Much more enjoyable this way.