Notices

All I know is drinking

Old 11-28-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MellowHeather View Post
Hey Truthseeker11.

Fantastic - fair play! I'm on Day 3 now and it's such a relief! If you're anything like me - there were likely lots of social things or personal projects that you just didn't bother doing because you were drinking instead. And plenty more that you just don't know about yet! Once you start looking forward to your new life rather than lamenting the thing (alcohol) that you already want to be rid of - you'll be able to keep on track!

I'd second AA if you have meetings near you. Both this forum and AA have been a huge help! We'd be in the same November group.

No harm going in to have a chat with your doctor as early on in the process as you can - just to ensure everything's being safely monitored. I didn't cop to do the at the beginning (although I'm sure I was told to!) - but it would be good for peace of mind.
Congrats on day 3! This is day 2 for me. There are a lot of personal projects I want and need to do, I just haven't been motivated. I'm hoping that will change with ongoing sobriety. I did attend AA a few years ago but I didn't feel it was for me. Felt a little uncomfortable with the regular one so I went to the women's group but there were only three of us, the host, myself and a woman visiting from out of state. I didn't go back. I feel like this forum would be a lot more helpful. I actually did quit drinking for a month in March on my own but the strange thing is I have no idea how I did it. I can't even remember how I pulled it off. I only know that prior to that, I had been on a one week bender with a guy I was dating. I visited him in another state. It was then I realized we weren't a match so I just drank my way through the week, ended up even having a nervous breakdown in front of him. I was a total mess from all the boozing. My liver started to hurt. I came home and said no more, and out of sheer fear for my health I quit for a month. I guess that's a good motivation but so bad that I let it get to that point. Knowing that I did quit for that month really helps me right now. I remember writing to my ex and telling him about my newfound sobriety, the ex that I've loved for four years, not the guy I visited and drank with for a week, and he wrote back and said it made him wish we were together again because it's something he really wanted to do as well. But my main motivation this time around is my daughters. They've been asking me to quit lately and I feel so selfish that I haven't tried very hard, but now I feel I can do this.

I don't have a doctor, I'm in Medicaid but haven't seen a doctor in a long time. I saw a naturopath last month and she prescribed a high dose folate and b complex that's for people who can't process regular vitamins. It's been helping so much with depression, anxiety and ADD which is turn makes quitting this time easier for sure. I've always avoided doctors and psychologists, they've never helped me. I really need a good counselor though.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NatVT View Post
Truth seeker11. Good for you. I'm going into day 3. I go hour by hour. I feel great sometimes like I'm really improving and I'll feel really anxious others. What I know is that this is the end for me. I was able to mask who I was for a long time. I'm hoping as I go to bed and pray I can sleep that I'll wake up tomorrow through day 3.

Keep posting. I am so happy I found this site.
Keep going Nat.....