Notices

All I know is drinking

Old 11-27-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

All I know is drinking

Since I was in my teens. 42 now and the only time I didn't drink nearly everyday was during my two pregnancies. It all got worse seven years ago when my marriage began to fall apart.

Today is my first of sobriety. I attribute that to several things but before I get into that, I just want to say thank you to everyone in this forum. Last night I stayed up late reading some of your stories, and the compassionate responses and I felt inspired to do this, even though it's scary AF because I don't even know who I'm going to turn out to be once I'm sober. I've used alcohol as a crutch, a lover and best friend, drug, escape, so many things. Even despite my strength today, I already ask myself how I'm going to live without it.

But it's gotten so bad. I'm don't embarrass myself much anymore out in public. I did go through those days, but mostly I drink alone in my room,
sometimes getting drunk enough to email my ex boyfriend or post something not me on social media. I do a lot of ruminating during these drinking alone sessions. It's terrible. Like a form of self punishment for what I don't know, but clearly I don't like myself and that's why I drink.

My kids go to their dads in weekends. I live with a relative and for quite some time I've learned to hide the evidence of my drinking binges. When he's not looking I will grab a pitcher of water and some snacks and go upstairs where I live, he will not see me again all night as he lives downstairs. He won't know what I'm up to. Then I take the bottles in a plastic bag and wait till he's gone to take them to my car, then eventually I drop them off somewhere. I can't risk him seeing them in the trash bin outside.

Thursday and Friday, each day I drank 10-11 drinks, mostly wine, but Friday stared with five shots of vodka after lunchtime. I had an empty stomach though. I would always do my shots first then eat. Hits you harder as you all know. Saturday I woke up disgusted with myself. Not hungover but just not happy with the red, bloated face looking back at me. People say I'm pretty but they don't know all the makeup I use to cover this face after binge drinking. I see photos of me during my pregnancies and for about a year after, I'm glowing, peaches and cream complexion, and here I am looking like bloody hell all at my own hands because I am weak and because I don't know what it is to even LIKE myself.

I've always been sickly, low energy, could never figure out why, but over time I hated how I wasn't productive enough, not good enough, smart enough, clever enough, couldn't hold down a job for lack of energy. Saw doctors and tests generally came back normal although I was always in the lower range with vitamins. Have suffered from IBS all my life, childhood asthma, hospitalized with pneumonia countless times a child. Outgrew most of it by teen years but never did feel well. I know that it all became a vicious cycle. Drinking to feel better, get more serotonin and energy but only making myself weaker long term, and unable to learn to like myself.

By the grace of God, 42 years later, I finally figured out one huge piece of the puzzle. I have a genetic deficiency/mutation called MTHFR where my body doesn't process folic properly unless it's in a special form that's been methylated. I did ancestry testing through 23 and me, and found out I could run the data through a certain website and find out if I have any of these mutations. A naturopath prescribed me something called Enlyte which is like Deplin but it has all the cofactors Iike B12, magnesium, etc. I was skeptical when I started taking it two weeks ago but it has been life changing.

I haven't felt this well in ages. Like many of you, I suffer panic attacks. This has helped prevent any anxious feelings from manifesting into full blown panic attacks. Mine were so bad I could barely drive on the interstate. Often I would pull over to a gas station have to chug a beer in my car, the short trip into the gas station and paying always felt like an eternity, would I make it to buy the beer and get out to my car, or would I pass out on the floor? I've had to tell grocery clerks I need to sit down on the ground for a minute because I felt so faint. Heart racing, pounding. Awful.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that this has helped me tremendously with that issue and my energy, sleeping better too, feeling way less depressed, but my problem now is that I've ramped up my drinking in response to this huge energy surge, it's like I don't know what to do with myself or this new person emerging, so I do what I've always done when I can't deal with something - drink.

That said, I think staying up late reading this site last night helped me be stronger today and I know I'm not going to drink today. I'm going to make it 24 hours! I also heard from my ex boyfriend and he said he was only drinking a couple beers a week now. He was a huge drinker. Somehow that encouraged me too. Our best times involved alcohol sadly. I guess that's why we didn't work. But maybe there could be hope for us without the booze.

Anyway, I'm really excited to do this, and scared that I won't be able to. How am I going to find things fun when I've used alcohol for fun my whole adult life? Will I become a bore. Will I still hate myself just be sober with no self esteem. Will I tell myself that the change isn't worth it and go back to drinking? I have two girls I want to do this for too, but at times the stress of parenting them has had me sneaking out for wine. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't know HOW to do this for real. One day is great but what about tomorrow when they're here again and fighting and I get stressed out, or when I get invited to a concert or pub and everyone's got a drink in their hand and I'm awkward and maybe even bored? I guess I have so many questions and concerns. I'm glad to be here, thanks for reading this.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome truthseeker

For twenty years, my adult life, I only knew how to drink too.

Fortunately adult minds are pretty adaptible and I soon learned how to live a sober life, with the help and support of this community.

I came here an all day everyday drinker. I'd been that way for several years.

In the new year I'll celebrate a decade clean and sober.

Anything is possible

D
Old 11-27-2016, 04:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Once your mind clears up, you will be shocked at just how many different things you'll become interested in. At first you'll feel bored about not having anything to do with the extra time that was wasted on drinking.
This happened to me for a while. But now I keep up with all things that need to be improved in my life. Or at least I try.lol
But most importantly, you'll get back your joy.
You'll notice that relationships with people will improve. You will have more patience. So glad you decided to take the journey on the road of sobriety.
It is well worth it.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Truthseeker11 View Post
Since I was in my teens. 42 now and the only time I didn't drink nearly everyday was during my two pregnancies. It all got worse seven years ago when my marriage began to fall apart.

Today is my first of sobriety. I attribute that to several things but before I get into that, I just want to say thank you to everyone in this forum. Last night I stayed up late reading some of your stories, and the compassionate responses and I felt inspired to do this, even though it's scary AF because I don't even know who I'm going to turn out to be once I'm sober. I've used alcohol as a crutch, a lover and best friend, drug, escape, so many things. Even despite my strength today, I already ask myself how I'm going to live without it.

But it's gotten so bad. I'm don't embarrass myself much anymore out in public. I did go through those days, but mostly I drink alone in my room,
sometimes getting drunk enough to email my ex boyfriend or post something not me on social media. I do a lot of ruminating during these drinking alone sessions. It's terrible. Like a form of self punishment for what I don't know, but clearly I don't like myself and that's why I drink.

My kids go to their dads in weekends. I live with a relative and for quite some time I've learned to hide the evidence of my drinking binges. When he's not looking I will grab a pitcher of water and some snacks and go upstairs where I live, he will not see me again all night as he lives downstairs. He won't know what I'm up to. Then I take the bottles in a plastic bag and wait till he's gone to take them to my car, then eventually I drop them off somewhere. I can't risk him seeing them in the trash bin outside.

Thursday and Friday, each day I drank 10-11 drinks, mostly wine, but Friday stared with five shots of vodka after lunchtime. I had an empty stomach though. I would always do my shots first then eat. Hits you harder as you all know. Saturday I woke up disgusted with myself. Not hungover but just not happy with the red, bloated face looking back at me. People say I'm pretty but they don't know all the makeup I use to cover this face after binge drinking. I see photos of me during my pregnancies and for about a year after, I'm glowing, peaches and cream complexion, and here I am looking like bloody hell all at my own hands because I am weak and because I don't know what it is to even LIKE myself.

I've always been sickly, low energy, could never figure out why, but over time I hated how I wasn't productive enough, not good enough, smart enough, clever enough, couldn't hold down a job for lack of energy. Saw doctors and tests generally came back normal although I was always in the lower range with vitamins. Have suffered from IBS all my life, childhood asthma, hospitalized with pneumonia countless times a child. Outgrew most of it by teen years but never did feel well. I know that it all became a vicious cycle. Drinking to feel better, get more serotonin and energy but only making myself weaker long term, and unable to learn to like myself.

By the grace of God, 42 years later, I finally figured out one huge piece of the puzzle. I have a genetic deficiency/mutation called MTHFR where my body doesn't process folic properly unless it's in a special form that's been methylated. I did ancestry testing through 23 and me, and found out I could run the data through a certain website and find out if I have any of these mutations. A naturopath prescribed me something called Enlyte which is like Deplin but it has all the cofactors Iike B12, magnesium, etc. I was skeptical when I started taking it two weeks ago but it has been life changing.

I haven't felt this well in ages. Like many of you, I suffer panic attacks. This has helped prevent any anxious feelings from manifesting into full blown panic attacks. Mine were so bad I could barely drive on the interstate. Often I would pull over to a gas station have to chug a beer in my car, the short trip into the gas station and paying always felt like an eternity, would I make it to buy the beer and get out to my car, or would I pass out on the floor? I've had to tell grocery clerks I need to sit down on the ground for a minute because I felt so faint. Heart racing, pounding. Awful.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that this has helped me tremendously with that issue and my energy, sleeping better too, feeling way less depressed, but my problem now is that I've ramped up my drinking in response to this huge energy surge, it's like I don't know what to do with myself or this new person emerging, so I do what I've always done when I can't deal with something - drink.

That said, I think staying up late reading this site last night helped me be stronger today and I know I'm not going to drink today. I'm going to make it 24 hours! I also heard from my ex boyfriend and he said he was only drinking a couple beers a week now. He was a huge drinker. Somehow that encouraged me too. Our best times involved alcohol sadly. I guess that's why we didn't work. But maybe there could be hope for us without the booze.

Anyway, I'm really excited to do this, and scared that I won't be able to. How am I going to find things fun when I've used alcohol for fun my whole adult life? Will I become a bore. Will I still hate myself just be sober with no self esteem. Will I tell myself that the change isn't worth it and go back to drinking? I have two girls I want to do this for too, but at times the stress of parenting them has had me sneaking out for wine. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't know HOW to do this for real. One day is great but what about tomorrow when they're here again and fighting and I get stressed out, or when I get invited to a concert or pub and everyone's got a drink in their hand and I'm awkward and maybe even bored? I guess I have so many questions and concerns. I'm glad to be here, thanks for reading this.
Truth seeker11. Good for you. I'm going into day 3. I go hour by hour. I feel great sometimes like I'm really improving and I'll feel really anxious others. What I know is that this is the end for me. I was able to mask who I was for a long time. I'm hoping as I go to bed and pray I can sleep that I'll wake up tomorrow through day 3.

Keep posting. I am so happy I found this site.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I feel like this community is really going to help me do this. Just now I felt a little shaky and really craved a beer from the store. For a second I thought abiut getting one, my rationale this time being that it's better to taper off than quit cold turkey. But it's that way of thinking that has kept me drinking for decades. I was thinking maybe I should go get some ice cream instead. Maybe it's just the sugar my body is trying to replace. The ritual is pretty engrained in me too. It's dark, it's evening before dinner time, it just FEELS like a drink should be in my hand. My AV can and will tell me anything to convince me "just one is fine".
Old 11-27-2016, 05:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep reading, posting, sharing. I have insomnia even with meds. I stay up and read these forums and listen to people who are or have been there.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah,hang out on here and read for a while.
Worked for me and today is 1220 days for me.
And I was a black out drinker nearly every night.
I did it, and so can you.

Oh, look into joining the class that matches your sobriety date.
They're found in the Newcomer Daily Support forums.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by resolute50 View Post
Yeah,hang out on here and read for a while.
Worked for me and today is 1220 days for me.
And I was a black out drinker nearly every night.
I did it, and so can you.
That's amazing resolute50. For me I hope day 3 is better than day 2. Not that's been terrible, but I can't wait to turn the corner finally.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know that it all became a vicious cycle. Drinking to feel better...

I haven't felt this well in ages...but my problem now is that I've ramped up my drinking in response to this huge energy surge...
Do you see the disconnect between these two statements in your life story? Once upon a time, you felt bad, and you drank to feel better.

Now, you feel well, but you drink because you feel good. Good or bad, you drink. It doesn't matter either way how you feel. Can you see this?

More importantly, can you see how this affects what you have to do to get out from under this addiction?

That is, if you drink regardless of how you feel.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I feel like this community is really going to help me do this. Just now I felt a little shaky and really craved a beer from the store. For a second I thought abiut getting one, my rationale this time being that it's better to taper off than quit cold turkey. But it's that way of thinking that has kept me drinking for decades. I was thinking maybe I should go get some ice cream instead. Maybe it's just the sugar my body is trying to replace. The ritual is pretty engrained in me too. It's dark, it's evening before dinner time, it just FEELS like a drink should be in my hand. My AV can and will tell me anything to convince me "just one is fine".
You're doing great. I felt completely empty without a drink those first few days. I didn't even know what time passing in the evening felt like anymore. It does get easier. Way easier.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Truthseeker,

Just want to welcome you to the forum as well. I am also a working mom, I have three kids, and staying sober during their pregnancies was the longest sober period I had since about 14 or 15.

I will have 11 days sober this Thursday, and owe it to this site. Looking forward to seeing you on here.

❤️ Delilah
Old 11-27-2016, 08:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
sober style

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Hi Truthseeker,

Just want to welcome you to the forum as well. I am also a working mom, I have three kids, and staying sober during their pregnancies was the longest sober period I had since about 14 or 15.

I will have 11 days sober this Thursday, and owe it to this site. Looking forward to seeing you on here.

❤️ Delilah
I think you meant months there, Delilah!
Old 11-27-2016, 09:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. I'd only known drinking as well. No kids of my own, but my lovely lady friends at AA all say how much more emotionally present they're able to be for their girls now that their not just desperate to hoik them off to bed each night so they can have a proper drink, and aren't crabby and stressed all the time due to either the after effects of drinking or preoccupied with some aspect of their lives that alcohol has made unmanageable (honestly - once we stop drinking we are able to see just how much it did affect adversely - relationships, friendships, careers, health, finances, interest in Life, loss of hobbies, and just the sheer amount of time and energy - physical and emotional - that goes into our drinking habits).

Have you considered AA at all, or something similar. I love the fact that I now have a little network of lively sober ladies who I can meet up with or call. It makes a big difference. Especially at weekends.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Truthseeker11.

Fantastic - fair play! I'm on Day 3 now and it's such a relief! If you're anything like me - there were likely lots of social things or personal projects that you just didn't bother doing because you were drinking instead. And plenty more that you just don't know about yet! Once you start looking forward to your new life rather than lamenting the thing (alcohol) that you already want to be rid of - you'll be able to keep on track!

I'd second AA if you have meetings near you. Both this forum and AA have been a huge help! We'd be in the same November group.

No harm going in to have a chat with your doctor as early on in the process as you can - just to ensure everything's being safely monitored. I didn't cop to do the at the beginning (although I'm sure I was told to!) - but it would be good for peace of mind.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
Do you see the disconnect between these two statements in your life story? Once upon a time, you felt bad, and you drank to feel better.

Now, you feel well, but you drink because you feel good. Good or bad, you drink. It doesn't matter either way how you feel. Can you see this?

More importantly, can you see how this affects what you have to do to get out from under this addiction?

That is, if you drink regardless of how you feel.
I do see the disconnect, and it scares me, but now I'm feeling like the drinking even after I felt so much better was just force of habit and boredom. I'm proud to say I got past the brief beer craving last night and I didn't even take any Benedryl which I've done in the past when I haven't drank. It's like I didn't believe I could sleep if I didn't. I tucked my kids into bed, crawled into bed completely substance free and read SR for a while, got sleepy naturally and slept six hours without waking. I woke at 5 am with lots of energy and a much more positive outlook. My skin even looks nicer already. My last heavy drinking was on Friday. I would say the high dose folate is really helping me to stay away from drinking for the low energy reasons, and this forum is helping me to stay away for the emotional reasons.

I guess what I'm saying is, feeling better physically wasn't enough to get me there, but then Saturday night I rediscovered SR and it was here that I found the inner strength to really commit to sobriety. I know I'm going to have my struggles of course. The big thing for me will be getting a job. That will help so much with my self esteem and keeping busy so I don't think about drinking. Now that I'm feeling well again, I'm going to pursue that goal, but I also realize I need counseling because honestly I'm already feeling terrible looking back in all the years I lost drinking and being depressed. You'd think that finding a cure for your depression would make you happy right? But it's sort of turned me upside down too. I feel guilt and shame for how I treated myself all those years. Maybe this is the beginning of loving myself? I have to forgive myself, that's going to be a little hard.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

How am I going to find things fun when I've used alcohol for fun my whole adult life?
Fun things? You said "...mostly I drink alone in my room"

That kind of fun?

You'll find plenty of fun things to do sober. But you will also find you will have to let go of a lot of things you called "fun" mainly because alcohol was involved. So when you get the call to go out, to a concert, the pub...

Say no thanks.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Hi and welcome. I'd only known drinking as well. No kids of my own, but my lovely lady friends at AA all say how much more emotionally present they're able to be for their girls now that their not just desperate to hoik them off to bed each night so they can have a proper drink, and aren't crabby and stressed all the time due to either the after effects of drinking or preoccupied with some aspect of their lives that alcohol has made unmanageable (honestly - once we stop drinking we are able to see just how much it did affect adversely - relationships, friendships, careers, health, finances, interest in Life, loss of hobbies, and just the sheer amount of time and energy - physical and emotional - that goes into our drinking habits).

Have you considered AA at all, or something similar. I love the fact that I now have a little network of lively sober ladies who I can meet up with or call. It makes a big difference. Especially at weekends.
That's great, I really hope I can be a better parent now too. It seemed everything I did was just going through the motions and there was no joy in anything. I really look forward to feeling joy again and laughing spontaneously. And you are very right that drinking affects so many aspects of our lives. I think we have to address what caused us to drink in the first place though. I know sobriety alone isn't the magic pill for inner peace, but it's an absolute necessity, can't heal if we are still drinking.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

You are absolutely right. Stopping drinking is essential, but it's just the first step. I know I had to deal with all the painful issues that had kept me numbing my mind. It's difficult, but so worth it.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Fun things? You said "...mostly I drink alone in my room"

That kind of fun?

You'll find plenty of fun things to do sober. But you will also find you will have to let go of a lot of things you called "fun" mainly because alcohol was involved. So when you get the call to go out, to a concert, the pub...

Say no thanks.
No, drinking alone wasn't fun at all. I would say it was an escape but not fun. I go to a pub trivia once or twice a week and I usually have 2-3 drinks there. My trivia partner doesn't drink so that will make it easier for me. My concern is that I really went to the trivia just to be able to drink and now I will find it boring. Same with concerts. Sad I know. I also went on a river rafting trip last summer with a group of people, several of whom drank from morning till night and I had an amazing time but so much if it was spent buzzed, I even have to look back on that and ask if it would have been half as fun without the drinking. I mean, really that's sad. I saw bald eagles, a wolverine, the most majestic wilderness, traveled from 8k feet down to 3k feet and traversed so many gorgeous landscapes, and yet, I'm not sure I could have enjoyed it sober. That's what scares me so much. Like my brain is broken and without booze I will be anhedonic.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Truthseeker
Dee is right keep coming here and reading....if you feel you might want a drink come here first don't stray.....you can do this don't be afraid of the new person you will become embrass her.....