Notices

Are AA Survivor meetings geared towards anything specific?

Old 11-16-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Are AA Survivor meetings geared towards anything specific?

Do they mean survivors of alcoholism or survivors of whatever ails you along with alcoholism?
Old 11-16-2016, 10:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is a group that is dedicated to defaming AA. They have an issue with the 3rd step (Higher Power), and feel it is the gateway to cult-like thinking. It's for people who were members of AA but now feel badly about it in some way. They advocate for alternate treatment as well as for any regulated or state supported treatment facility to not direct addicts to AA, nor the courts to mandate AA for people in penalties/sentencing. Hope that helps.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I should be more specific, I found the meeting thru AA's find a meeting search, and it's called Saturday Morning Survivors. Sorry about that, and thanks for your time Irnldy��
Old 11-16-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry Lifechanges
I have only seen one AA group before that calls themselves Survivors. It was when I was visiting in Barbados. They were originally called St.Anthony's but when all four of their founding members passed they renamed themselves Survivors. I guess it has all kinds of connotations. But if you are seeing it within AA, my guess is that it is just a group name. The other one I described is a separate group with its own membership and meetings. You can ring your local intergroup and ask if that meeting would be appropriate for you.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's a little confusing. There are AA groups that have "survivors" in their name. I assume it refers to them surviving alcohol dependency, but that's a guess on my part. There is also a group called "AA Survivors" who have, you guessed it, survived AA. They don't like AA. If you found the group you are asking about through an AA meeting search, then it's one of the 12 step kind. Good luck.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

groups often come up with names unique to the group. i would presume Sunday Morning Survivors to be an AA meeting held on Sunday Morning..........we have a meeting here locally called Keeping It Simple Survivors. I think it's a common name for a group of people who have managed to SURVIVE addiction.......