Notices

AA meetings

Old 11-16-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Re the money....my personal approach was to start giving a dollar once I became enough of a regular face in a meeting; now I give one at every meeting I go to be I am a devoted member of AA as a whole (so I give when at groups other than my regular ones). I feel like people are guests for awhile, sort of like " the coffee's on us for now, see how you like it." When you get to the keep coming back part, give.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The traditional word of wisdom to a newbie is to make 90 meetings in 90 days. You have already located a meeting each day at 9:30, so you could do that. An hour a day (plus travel time) might seem like a lot, but that is likely less time than you spent with your drinking if you are like most of us. It is good to shop around for a meeting that seems comfortable to you, but once you find onem it is good to start going to one meeting on a regular basis. You will get to know the people there and they will get to know you. Of course it will seem awkward at first, but you will quickly find that the people in that meeting have all gone through about the same thing that you have and will help you if they can. Just be open and listen a lot to what the others have to say. They will have more in common with you than you expect. Stay with it. It worked for me, and millions of others. Good luck!
Old 11-20-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi,Everyone! I made it to 3 meetings so far, plan on attending again tomorrow morning and as often as possible. It's actually a nice start to my day! Haven't had a beer/drink in a few days. My exgf invited me out to a bar for the football games today and to stay overnight with her,which I declined. I have no doubt I would have been able to not drink. She then calls me at 1pm(pst) completely TRASHED!! So glad I didn't put myself in that position again,like I did a couple weeks ago, when she got plastered while I was drinking water and went crazy on me! She's an angry drunk when around me,guessing built up resentment? Whatever..Not my circus! Thanks for all the advice!
Old 11-20-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Will your gf want to stay with you if, you no longer drink?
Old 11-20-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
Will your gf want to stay with you if, you no longer drink?
I broke up with her in August. I don't really care, to be honest. Just hearing her slurred words made me sick to my stomach. I was trying to get off of the phone and the "I wuuuush juuur wurrr hurrr wuffffsss meeess"..yuk! Once off the phone I sent her a text asking her to please stop drinking and not to drive and let me know when she's home. That I'd hate to see her dealing with what I did/am dealing with(DUI). . She texted when she was home and i'm sure is passed out on her couch.. Oh how I miss those "fun" Sunday afternoons of watching her sleep the day away! Sorry for the rant.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I took the liberty of glancing at a few of your old posts. It would appear alcohol over the past few years you've been on here has been a source of trouble for you.

I hope, this all works out for you.

For you to remain drinking, it tends to keep getting worse and we keep lowering our standards justifying our actions
Old 11-20-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
I took the liberty of glancing at a few of your old posts. It would appear alcohol over the past few years you've been on here has been a source of trouble for you.

I hope, this all works out for you.

For you to remain drinking, it tends to keep getting worse and we keep lowering our standards justifying our actions
I agree! It's not doing me any favors,that's for sure!