Notices

AA meetings

Old 11-15-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA meetings

I've been wanting to attend a few but, am now court ordered to do so.. Tell me where to start and what meetings(closed,recovery group,ect.) mean?.. I'm clueless on this. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There are so many different meeting types that it would be tough to summarize in a short space. If you google "AA in [your location]" it should direct you to a schedule of meetings. Generally each meeting will have a code by the name (e.g. "C" for closed, "NS" for non-smoking, etc.). The schedule should have some explanation for what each code means.

Closed means that it is open to alcoholics or people that think they may have a problem with alcohol. Open means that anyone can come to the meeting (e.g. a family member that is supporting you could go or a student that needs to sit through a certain number of meetings for their counseling degree could go).

When I first came in I went to "OD" (open discussion) meetings. Larger meetings will break into smaller groups and they may have a beginners table that sticks around the first three steps. Those tables were the most helpful for me when I first came in the rooms.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here's a link that should help you:

Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 11-15-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

hi dontremember (cool username)

aa has helped me stay sober today

you should have no problem finding one in your area

Old 11-15-2016, 01:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks again,folks!
Old 11-15-2016, 03:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

DontRemember- I am a devoted AA-er and I hope it will prove to be a great place for you to get sober, if you are an alcoholic.

Just a couple of notes related to the actual "being at a meeting" part. Lots of people get nervous or worried about whether you have to talk- you don't. An Open Discussion meeting is great for this because (assuming they are run properly) you can simply sit and listen if you want to. There will likely be readings of the 12 Steps and the Promises, and intro and closing prayers- usually the Serenity Prayer and/or Lord's Prayer. Many people aren't comfortable with this at first- you do not have to pray out loud if you aren't comfortable.

AA is a safe place to go and it is common to see folks who have to go (paper signing happens a lot!) so don't feel weird about that.

You don't say why you have to go now, or what made you consider going before being ordered to, but it sounds like you've got concerns over what drinking has done to your life. Good luck and hope to see you around! You can also find support on here specific to AA under the 12 Step and Alcoholism headings; you may also want to look at the Class of November under Newcomers Daily Support Threads if you are deciding to quit.

Take care.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
DontRemember- I am a devoted AA-er and I hope it will prove to be a great place for you to get sober, if you are an alcoholic.

Just a couple of notes related to the actual "being at a meeting" part. Lots of people get nervous or worried about whether you have to talk- you don't. An Open Discussion meeting is great for this because (assuming they are run properly) you can simply sit and listen if you want to. There will likely be readings of the 12 Steps and the Promises, and intro and closing prayers- usually the Serenity Prayer and/or Lord's Prayer. Many people aren't comfortable with this at first- you do not have to pray out loud if you aren't comfortable.

AA is a safe place to go and it is common to see folks who have to go (paper signing happens a lot!) so don't feel weird about that.

You don't say why you have to go now, or what made you consider going before being ordered to, but it sounds like you've got concerns over what drinking has done to your life. Good luck and hope to see you around! You can also find support on here specific to AA under the 12 Step and Alcoholism headings; you may also want to look at the Class of November under Newcomers Daily Support Threads if you are deciding to quit.

Take care.
Thanks for the words of wisdom. So, I can just show up to an open meeting correct? No appointment or anything? I've found a place a few miles from my home that has a morning open meeting tomorrow and plan to attend. As to what caused me to be court ordered: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-out-jail.html
I had been on here in the past, before the accident, trying to 'clean up' and didn't have a solid plan. All the excuses in the book! Toxic relationship that revolved around bars/gambling(This has ended). Drinking at client meetings. It's football time,have a drink! All excuses.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi DR!

It's fine to just show up for an open meeting. Have a couple dollar bills in your pocket for the collection hat to cover meeting expenses. They often will ask for newcomers to identify themselves, and you can say as little as "Hello, I am an alcoholic" or include your first name.

Although to me this seems out of character with AA's "Anonymous" identity, you will probably find the meeting leader is willing to sign an attendance sheet with your name on it. It is important to keep a record of meetings if you are court-ordered.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Hi DR!

It's fine to just show up for an open meeting. Have a couple dollar bills in your pocket for the collection hat to cover meeting expenses. They often will ask for newcomers to identify themselves, and you can say as little as "Hello, I am an alcoholic" or include your first name.

Although to me this seems out of character with AA's "Anonymous" identity, you will probably find the meeting leader is willing to sign an attendance sheet with your name on it. It is important to keep a record of meetings if you are court-ordered.
This brings me to my next question.. My attorney said "just have a piece of paper and they'll sign and date it".. Is this a specific piece of paper or just like a log book that I bring with me?
Old 11-16-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

The attendance sheets I am familiar with were provided by a probation officer, but it's nothing complicated. Those I have seen have the person's name at the top and spaces for meeting date, meeting name, and signature of meeting secretary.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

^^This is the norm around these parts, too. Here's what I found when I googled AA meeting attendance log-
https://www.google.com/search?q=aa+m...HXQ4AewQsAQIIQ

Also, some group leaders will ask if there is any at their first ever AA meeting, visiting from another group or city, or such who wants to introduce themselves. Just remember, you do not have to say anything or even introduce yourself, and if you feel like you're expected to say something (I really dislike that kind of thing in meetings but have seen it happen) then it is OK to say "pass" politely. I am an outgoing person and it took me a long time before I spoke up at a meeting! Newcomers are supposed to be welcomed not made to feel uncomfortable; this might mean that folks will approach you and say hello after or see if you want to talk. All depends on who's at that particular meeting.

Since it sounds like you will have to attend some number of meetings, I might suggest you try different ones- I didn't like the Womens' meetings at first, now I have one in particular I sometimes go to, Speaker Meetings would be a leader intro then one individual telling their story, and perhaps after you learn a little bit (because they are a lot of info, and more in depth into the program) a Step meeting (each meeting focuses on one of the steps, usually one day a week in a revolving sequence 1-12) or a 12 (Step) & 12 (Traditions) would be good. If you find one open meeting you are ok with and just go there, that's cool, too.

Good luck! You will do fine.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
The attendance sheets I am familiar with were provided by a probation officer, but it's nothing complicated. Those I have seen have the person's name at the top and spaces for meeting date, meeting name, and signature of meeting secretary.
I didn't receive anything like that.. I didn't even get a probation officer. They just said to stay out of trouble until all my obligations are met. I'll probably just draw up something with my name case number,ect..Then just see what they say. I'll look around online and see if I can find a template actually.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
^^This is the norm around these parts, too. Here's what I found when I googled AA meeting attendance log-
https://www.google.com/search?q=aa+m...HXQ4AewQsAQIIQ

Also, some group leaders will ask if there is any at their first ever AA meeting, visiting from another group or city, or such who wants to introduce themselves. Just remember, you do not have to say anything or even introduce yourself, and if you feel like you're expected to say something (I really dislike that kind of thing in meetings but have seen it happen) then it is OK to say "pass" politely. I am an outgoing person and it took me a long time before I spoke up at a meeting! Newcomers are supposed to be welcomed not made to feel uncomfortable; this might mean that folks will approach you and say hello after or see if you want to talk. All depends on who's at that particular meeting.

Since it sounds like you will have to attend some number of meetings, I might suggest you try different ones- I didn't like the Womens' meetings at first, now I have one in particular I sometimes go to, Speaker Meetings would be a leader intro then one individual telling their story, and perhaps after you learn a little bit (because they are a lot of info, and more in depth into the program) a Step meeting (each meeting focuses on one of the steps, usually one day a week in a revolving sequence 1-12) or a 12 (Step) & 12 (Traditions) would be good. If you find one open meeting you are ok with and just go there, that's cool, too.

Good luck! You will do fine.
Thanks! Here's the one's schedule, I plan on checking out tomorrow morning, as it's close to my house and I will be losing my DL soon.
Sunday: 9:30AM - Literature Study
Monday: 9:30AM - Big Book Study
Tuesday: 9:30AM - Open Discussion
Wednesday: 9:30AM - Open Discussion
Thursday: 9:30AM - Open Discussion
Friday: 9:30AM - Open Discussion
Saturday: 9:30AM - Open Discussion
Old 11-16-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

If you are new, don't bother putting money in the basket; meetings are self-supporting.

Go with an open mind and listen to what is said and watch what people do......
Old 11-16-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
If you are new, don't bother putting money in the basket; meetings are self-supporting.

Go with an open mind and listen to what is said and watch what people do......
I'll probably toss a $5 in it.. I'm the type that'll give a homeless person asking for "spare change".. $5. But, yes.. I'm a very observant person by nature and will give it all of my attention. Thanks!
Old 11-16-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

I suggest letting go of ego, like mentioned, you are new, AA doesn't need the newcomer's money. Read Language of the Heart to find the exact Grapevine article to quote from
Old 11-16-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post

now court ordered to do so.. Tell me where to start and what meetings(closed,recovery group,ect.) mean?..
I have been there a few times.
Main thing -- don't disappoint the judge.
Closed meetings usually don't sign court slips.
Good luck -- best used when sober.
M-Bob
Old 11-16-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You are blessed to have a daily meeting that is close to your house. I found the daily meetings (as opposed to groups that meet once per week) the most helpful in very early recovery. In those meetings I was able to get to know people much quicker, and start building meaningful relationships.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post

I'll probably toss a $5 in it..
Not a good idea for most put in one dollar.
Two dollars into the basket shouldn't catch an eye.
Five dollars may give the impression that you are trying to be a big shot.

Killing the EGO is opposite of being a big shot.

You'll get it -- relax.

M-Bob
Old 11-16-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
Not a good idea for most put in one dollar.
Two dollars into the basket shouldn't catch an eye.
Five dollars may give the impression that you are trying to be a big shot.

Killing the EGO is opposite of being a big shot.

You'll get it -- relax.

M-Bob
Gotcha! I just so happen to $3 in my wallet. Hardly carry cash anymore.