Notices

Strange feelings.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
I have just been to hospital and told I need to drink until I can get a detox. I still feel awful but just don't know what to do now except drink.
I opened my heart out to Dr and sat there in tears as I told him my struggle for help.
Still hallucinating and very confused
I would try calling samaritans. Or start calling detox facilities. Perhaps a different doctor even? Drinking as much as you are drinking will not end well. You could try AA meetings around you as well, they will know of detox facilities in the area if nothing else.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can;t understand how if you told them you were hallucinating and confused they just sent you home with instructions to drink more.

I know the NHS has it's problems but that doesn't seem right to me either.

Do you have a prior history at this hospital Kaily?

Do you have a GP - there might be a little less stretched for resources and a little more empathetic?

D
Old 11-14-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

But keep being told not to abruptly stop by my counselor
The key word here is "abruptly", which means don't go from 750mL of vodka a day straight to zero, for example, but rather, to reduce gradually.

You had a couple of days sober recently, remember?

I have just been to hospital and told I need to drink until I can get a detox. I still feel awful but just don't know what to do now except drink.
They are not saying that you should drink insane amounts of alcohol every single day. They are simply taking the safest path for themselves from a liability standpoint, by not endorsing cold turkey quitting.

I don't usually recommend AA, but if you need to hang out at AA meetings for a week to get some days together, that might be worth considering at this point. Your experience is probably common to the locals.

I opened my heart out to Dr and sat there in tears as I told him my struggle for help.
There is no medical cure for your alcohol addiction, so your doctor has no cure to provide. The only thing doctors can do is to substitute the alcohol with drugs similar to alcohol and then slowly taper your dosage down to zero, while monitoring your vital signs.

The only remedy is sustained abstinence from alcohol.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Kaily- keep drinking while hallucinating? Alarm bells, unsafe for you and perhaps others. I agree with Dee- you need support. Does your local hospital have any resources/networks you can tap into? Keep sharing. CPJ
Old 11-14-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I can;t understand how if you told them you were hallucinating and confused they just sent you home with instructions to drink more.

I know the NHS has it's problems but that doesn't seem right to me either.

Do you have a prior history at this hospital Kaily?

Do you have a GP - there might be a little less stretched for resources and a little more empathetic?

D
No I don't have any history at the hospital, just normal stuff over many years. It took a lot of desperation for me to go there today.
The Doctor was kind, didn't seem to be judging me but advised what he advised.
Made me feel more hopless than ever.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:31 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

No I don't have any history at the hospital, just normal stuff over many years. It took a lot of desperation for me to go there today.
The Doctor was kind, didn't seem to be judging me but advised what he advised.
Made me feel more hopless than ever.

What did they say? How are you feeling?

I hope you feel better.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:55 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nowsthetime View Post
What did they say? How are you feeling?

I hope you feel better.
He told me to keep drinking!

I am not feeling great at all
Old 11-14-2016, 07:27 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would make getting into detox a priority Kaily.

D
Old 11-14-2016, 07:53 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Kaily, I have experience something similar to what you are describing, it is important you go back to the hospital or get to your GP.
...if you get to the hospital tell them you are not going home, that you are scared for your health...insist, explain your symptoms and insist on their medical support.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:57 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

^& thats what I would do.

D
Old 11-14-2016, 08:27 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I agree, just don't stop abruptly. That's dangerous as much as continuing on the way you are is.
Can you get into your GP asap and ask if you can do a home detox?
That is what I asked for and that is what I did because I couldn't get in to anywhere either the last time I tried.
Take care Kaily, I hope you can find the proper help soon. Hang in there.
Do you have anyone to call in case things get dicey or who could just stay with you to help you through this?

DON'T STOP CALLING OR SHOWING UP. That's the important thing. You have to be persistent. Be the squeaky wheel. I know it's hard when you feel that ill. But if you need to call 5 times a day then do it.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:41 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

The drug and alcohol centre or my GP won't give me a home detox as I live alone.
I think they would prefer me to die quietly without them feeling bad as they have followed their guidelines without any flexibility for the individual.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:32 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Do you have an AA meeting you can go to, or a phone advice service, a church you can reach out to?
Old 11-15-2016, 04:29 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
AA member

Kaily,if you really want to be sober you have to do some work yourself,nobody can do it for you.

Have you tried phoning around rehabs?some of them can get NHS funding.There are several charities that work with Alcoholics,look in your local area for them,they all have websites.

Call your local AA helpline,get to a meeting and get immediate help.

There are a lot of ways you can help yourself,the thing you can't do is carry on drinking.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:38 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hi K:

I'm sorry that people aren't being more helpful so it's time for wuou to help yourself. I feel your AV is using what they have told you to manipulate the situation. Step out of yourself and try to view yourself from that perspective.

We are our best advocates and this is a fight for your life. Don't give up and don't let AV win.

You are not alone and this will pass!!!
Old 11-15-2016, 04:58 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

The drug and alcohol centre or my GP won't give me a home detox as I live alone.
I think they would prefer me to die quietly without them feeling bad as they have followed their guidelines without any flexibility for the individual.
Kaily, I was in the exact same situation. I went to my local alcohol centre and they would not give me the meds because I had no one who would come to the centre with me and sign off on them and they don't give them directly to the alcoholic. I tried going there and meeting with the psychologist, who would see me for like 10 minutes and then give me these stupid books to read at home. I just felt so hopeless and kept screaming out "see I am TRYING TO FIND HELP AND NO ONE WILL HELP ME" But in the end I had to do something more drastic for myself. I was fortunate that I had the financial ability to go for the private room option at the rehab centre therefore the waitlist was shortened as there were not as many people on that list. You have said you do not have the financial ability to pay out of pocket for a private rehab or pay for the private room option. So what CAN you do? It is iso easy to stay in this cycle of self pity and scream out "I am trying" I know because I have personally been there. I did the exact same.
It is clear now, you have limited options for outside help from the alcohol centre. What CAN you depend on? For sure you can go to AA. It is free, in your area probably there is a meeting multiple times a day.
You CAN take the suggestion of your counsellor and with all of your might try to wean down. You CAN refuse to buy yourself another bottle of vodka. You CAN quit cold turkey with you phone in your hand, ready to call for an ambulance and the very first sing that things are not going well. You CAN quit by posting on here 24 hours a day. You CAN do this. Come on Kaily, we believe in you.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:41 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nowsthetime View Post
Hi K:

I'm sorry that people aren't being more helpful so it's time for wuou to help yourself. I feel your AV is using what they have told you to manipulate the situation. Step out of yourself and try to view yourself from that perspective.

We are our best advocates and this is a fight for your life. Don't give up and don't let AV win.

You are not alone and this will pass!!!

YES!!!! I was hoping someone would say this.

Kaily, our AV will use annnnnything to keep us drinking. I see a lot of it talking to you in your posts. I know for me, I certainly didn't feel I deserved medical help and kept killing myself instead, for a long time. When I finally accepted help, it was gladly given.

I too get disgusted with the things our Brit friends say about dr advice. That aside - what you've been told clearly isn't working. So what will? The reality is you are sick, scared, and still drinking. What are the choices? The first is to stop drinking. I went cold turkey from a major vodka habit; many will suggest this is a terrible idea.

What can you do, today? Stop drinking. Throw out the alcohol. Don't go buy more. Go to an AA meeting or to a library or sit in the ER waiting room. This is the point in time that sucks. Truthfully. The pain and the sickness are real, and they will keep getting worse if you keep drinking. If you stop, everything will get better.

Please find a way to put yourself in front of drs and stay there til they help you.

Prayers for you.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Kaily, when you first posted in the November class and explained how much you were drinking my first thought was how much I hope her withdrawal won't be bad. I didn't mention that in my response. I only said to see a doctor if things got bad. I guess things got bad.

You've got to get yourself out of this and stay out. I've been thinking about you these past days, unsure of how I could help. I'd say taper but that is not easy and I know it's frowned upon here (for good reason). My prayers are with you. The world needs you, and needs you sober.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 48heath View Post
Kaily,if you really want to be sober you have to do some work yourself,nobody can do it for you.

Have you tried phoning around rehabs?some of them can get NHS funding.There are several charities that work with Alcoholics,look in your local area for them,they all have websites.

Call your local AA helpline,get to a meeting and get immediate help.

There are a lot of ways you can help yourself,the thing you can't do is carry on drinking.
I am trying to help myself.
I stopped drinking, felt ill went to hospital asked for help
See an alcohol counsellor
Started attending Smart meetings as AA not for me
Went to Alcohol /Drug centre for 6 months, only stopped because wouldn't detox me home alone.
Spend hours on this website just reading and learning
See my GP at least once a month.

I do feel slightly upset that you feel I am not making an effort
Old 11-15-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pelagic263 View Post
Kaily, when you first posted in the November class and explained how much you were drinking my first thought was how much I hope her withdrawal won't be bad. I didn't mention that in my response. I only said to see a doctor if things got bad. I guess things got bad.

You've got to get yourself out of this and stay out. I've been thinking about you these past days, unsure of how I could help. I'd say taper but that is not easy and I know it's frowned upon here (for good reason). My prayers are with you. The world needs you, and needs you sober.
Thank you thats really kind and just what I needed to hear.