Notices

Strange feelings.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Kaily, I attempted tapering with beer, as suggested by a doctor and outlined on the HAMS site. But everytime I reached the equivalent of 50% of my usual daily consumption (same as yours) I'd ramp back up.

On the final taper, I'd reached 50% less alcohol for a few days, knew that I couldn't go lower and that I'd increase back up - when I stopped, after reading a post to me on this site. The post saved my life and I've stayed stopped. Just reducing was damage limitation and it worked, for me. I was never going to be able to taper down to a couple of beers, then to zero on the final day, as recommended.

August, I'm glad you survived. I fully appreciate where your heart is and wish I'd read a post like yours much earlier.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Kaily, I'm very glad to see that you are still working at finding a solution to your withdrawal concerns. As an American, I have no experience with the system in which you are seeking help. But I do have some suggestions that may be helpful. I have limited experience with AA, but would it be possible to call their number to try to find a support person to help in an at home detox? If you could find someone who would be willing to go to your GP's office with you to vouch for you having supervision during an outpatient detox, you might get more support from the doctor. Even if you can get someone, or a few people, to take turns spending time with you to make sure that you are safe and your pets are taken care of, just for a few days, it could be a solution for you. I sincerely hope that you can find the help that you need to overcome this challenge.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:41 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

August the words " For me, I chose an unknown amount of risk over a certain death by drinking. Please reread that last sentence." are almost identical to what I said to my dr this morning, yet still she says drink. She thinks that I went into severe withdrawals Monday when I ended up in hospital and that I am in danger if I go cold turkey, much as I think that is the only option.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:53 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Oh my, Kaily, I didn't realise you suffered severe withdrawals. By reducing to half the daily consumption I avoided those, but then everyone is different.

I just don't know what to say. I wish I lived near you, I'd certainly help. I used to be an AA member and although I appreciate certain tenets of AA it didn't stop me drinking again. However, I believe SweatyHands idea is a great one, they could help you stop drinking.

Last edited by Fusion; 11-17-2016 at 09:08 AM. Reason: To add
Old 11-17-2016, 09:47 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Kaily - the doctor has advised you to taper, and it seems reckless to not follow medical advice in this situation.

I never tried tapering alcohol, but I have tried tapering off of other drugs many times on my own. It wasn't something I could do on my own despite how hard I tried. I would echo what others have already said. If you can get some people to sit with you during the process it might help.

There are some concrete actions you can take to get some people to help you with the at home detox. I would suggest calling someone from your SMART meeting and explaining the situation to them. If they can't help call the next person on the list. If no one at the SMART meetings can help then you can go to AA. At AA you can share your story to the group and I have to believe that someone will be willing to help you. If not, go to another meeting and do the same thing. If that doesn't work the go to a third meeting and try the same thing, etc. Eventually, you will find people that will be willing to help you with an at home detox.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:55 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi Kaily, I hope you are OK
Old 11-22-2016, 09:55 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hi Kaily,

Just checking in to see how you are. Just read through your whole thread. I don't know what they have in the UK but in the US we have something called a 5150 for when a person is a danger to them self or others. It comes with a 72 hour hold. I would think they could do something like this for you and help you through the withdrawals and then hook you up with supports through either IOP or inpatient.

Stay on top of them, be your own advocate.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:52 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Checking in Kaily,

I am so sorry you are going though this and just flabbergasted at the system there. Tapering? Switching to beer? This is ridiculous. A true alcoholic knows that this is insane advice. I have several friends in the UK and they definitely have a love/hate relationship with the NHS....

You have got to get your way out of this, one way or another. And you can. I like the idea of getting to AA or SMART and asking for help. Someone to come with you to the doctor to get the detox meds, a few people to come look after your pets, house, etc.

And then Kaily, when you are on the other side of this, which you will be, I believe in you, would you consider standing up to this nonsense and fighting for other alcoholics in your shoes? Can you start documenting everything you have done to seek help and the way you feel? Maybe there is somewhere you can go to present this to show how the system is broken and this tapering stuff doesn't work, waiting is a game of life or death.
I feel for you, I wish I were closer, I'm come in a heartbeat to help you.
I am sending you a PM, please check it.