Notices

intervention

Old 11-08-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

intervention

So I've been sober for a week today... But I'm watching intervention and i can't stop crying. Its like I relate to every story and the feelings/emotions are just to real. Also, I feel an overwhelming love for my family and we're having such a good day so I'm so confused!! Am I this crazy drunk or am I this happy housewife? Ugh why isn't it getting any easier?
Old 11-08-2016, 06:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Winn,

It gets better by the moment.

If you are hungry, tired, lonely, etc..sick too...you will feel worse for that moment/day...

But, when you get better..it feels way better.

I am at 18 months clean and I still feel not perfect.

I feel great most of the time, but not perfect all of the time.

It is those times when I feel discouraged.

Being sober is how we were designed. Trust that there is a better place sober.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A week in, your chemistry is just starting to reset, so it's totally normal to feel really raw. Not easy, I know!! I've been clean for yrs & that show can put me on edge still.

Just hang in there, call someone sober if you have that sort of network, or keep posting here until you feel better.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are probably feeling confused because you feel conflicted by your new sober, happy drama free life yet the tug of wanting to drink because you are an alcoholic. The longer you stay sober the less tug you will feel by your alcoholic nature.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Emotions run pretty high in the first few weeks Winniegirl.

I'd focus on the good things, and maybe not watch Intervention for a while if it makes you feel too raw?

D
Old 11-09-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

I used to watch Intervention in my first months, and get a lot emotional too. Nowadays I can't stand it because it makes me feel depressed and sorry for them. You are on the right path winniegirl, these first few weeks can be difficult but you can do it!
Old 11-09-2016, 06:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Early sobriety is a real emotional roller coaster.

I couldn't watch anything that was emotional unless it was a comedy in early days. I couldn't even listen to rock music or watch the news. It gets better, give it a little time. For me, it took about a month to stop crying just about every time I talked about or thought about alcohol.

I think that was the part of me that really knew deep down that recovery was going to be a major healing event.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Early days are the most difficult, winniegirl. Agree with Dee the Wise. Maybe leave intervention off for now?
Old 11-09-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There are tons of other videos and what not to follow with a more positive message if it's making too much of an impact on you. Addiction is hell, but there are countless stories of people that have overcome their demons to now live in peace. I watch hours of AA speaker videos and other sobriety channels and I find them very helpful.