Notices

The only way out is through

Old 11-06-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The only way out is through

There is no quick fix. There is no alcoholic beverage which will take the unease away. There is no magic potion which will erase the past or undo the hurt I've caused to myself or others.
The ONLY solution is to sit with the muck for a bit and then choose to keep going forward. The only way out of this mess I've made, is to crawl/ walk/ run through it.
Feeling low and stressed today, but I have 11 sober days under my belt and soon enough it will be 12, 13, 14...
Old 11-06-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Agreed. One day at a time. Congrats on stating sober today!!
Old 11-06-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The hardest thing ever, once I stopped drinking, was to sit with something that was troubling to me. Prior to sobriety I would zoom for the bottle. Does it get easier? I guess so. You're right, though, noneever. The only way out is through. Congratulations on 11 days. See you on the other side.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, that's so true. Realizing this is a big step towards recovery. You know what you have to do, and now you can begin working on it. You will come out the other side a better person.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Early in sobriety I read this - of course I had, continue to make amends where possible. But I found this helpful;

“Chronic remorse, as all the moralists are agreed, is a most undesirable sentiment. If you have behaved badly, repent, make what amends you can and address yourself to the task of behaving better next time. On no account brood over your wrongdoing. Rolling in the muck is not the best way of getting clean.”

― Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
Old 11-06-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 11 days. Yep...can't go over it, or under it, only through it.

Ya know I had some pretty bad news last week. Scary news. Uncertain news. All the stuff I dont do well with. Well what do I do? I of course start to catastrophize/awfulize. I panic. I get angry.....this all happened within 30 seconds after the phone call. Well being that I'm trying to change, I stop myself. Ok. I can't control this. There is nothing more I can do in this moment. I have an apt Monday but even then I won't get much more info for maybe a week. So, I can freak out, panic, stress, blame the world, whine, throw a pity party and maybe drink. Or I can let it go. Trust that it won't be too bad. Thy will be done. I chose the latter. And the cool part? I am truly not as scared. Ok what's my friggin point? The past and future do not exist. All that matters is what we do right here and now. Sorry for the ramble......
Old 11-06-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very helpful thread nonever. All that you said is true.

In my early days of trying to quit I became terrified as the memories surfaced. As the others have said - we can't sabotage ourselves by allowing the regrets & remorse to overtake us as we're trying to get well. At times we have to let the fear & feelings wash over us for a bit - then resolve to rise above it all & walk on. You're doing great.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noneever View Post
There is no quick fix. There is no alcoholic beverage which will take the unease away. There is no magic potion which will erase the past or undo the hurt I've caused to myself or others.
The ONLY solution is to sit with the muck for a bit and then choose to keep going forward. The only way out of this mess I've made, is to crawl/ walk/ run through it.
Feeling low and stressed today, but I have 11 sober days under my belt and soon enough it will be 12, 13, 14...
You are absolutely on the right track. Now knowing it isn't going to be easy, you need to come up with a plan to make it through when it gets hard.

It will be all the more rewarding because it was hard.