Notices

Day 6...again!

Old 10-28-2016, 09:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6...again!

Well after a minor...well big hiccup a month ago I'm back and now on day six.

I was drinking about 8 pints and a bottle of wine a day for the last month (or since I last quit)...not good.

Doctor helped me out by giving me a taper valium dose again and its been two days since I stopped taking them.

Been to the gym today and feeling good.

Anxiety is still there a little bit, sleep still not good but the sweating at night has calmed down thankfully.

Missing my friends quite a lot as they are all heavy drinkers but they don't get any withdrawal (anxiety) at all. Split with my ex a few months ago so feeling a little down about that also.

Apart from that the cravings are hardly there this time which is different from previous times. Im slightly dreading Christmas as I know I will be tempted.

Hop
Old 10-28-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Off to a great start! I think it was pretty smart to have consulted a doctor before quitting or even tapering off. The time I went cold turkey on my own was not a great idea, plus the valium makes the transition to sobriety a little easier I bet.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by hopscotch123 View Post
Apart from that the cravings are hardly there this time which is different from previous times. Im slightly dreading Christmas as I know I will be tempted.
That is likely due to 'kindling' where our symptoms become worse with each relapse. For Christmas, are there things you can plan than won't involve alcohol, or social events you could miss because alcohol will be present? Maybe if you do some planning, it will ease your mind a bit.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hopscotch,

Welcome and well done on day 6.

There will be temptations not only at Christmas, but everywhere most of the time. The only way I found to truly beat them was to not allow myself to feel tempted anymore. I just don't drink. Not at Christmas, not at work dues, not at dinners, not ever.

Once you get your mind to the sober mind frame the rest will start falling into place.

We re here to help you along the way.

P
Old 10-28-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I try not to think that too far ahead. It detracts from the here and now, where my head should be, and just adds to the dread of the moment.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
That is likely due to 'kindling' where our symptoms become worse with each relapse. For Christmas, are there things you can plan than won't involve alcohol, or social events you could miss because alcohol will be present? Maybe if you do some planning, it will ease your mind a bit.
I have detoxed about four times now over the past year. I did 30 days in Jan then slipped up.

I don't get the shakes, nausea, lack of appetite etc, just bad anxiety, sleep and sweats which are all common side effects which I have had each time.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Hopscotch

Have you considered making a plan? That could be the ingredient that makes this time different to all the rest?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans-1.html
Old 10-28-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 6 is fantastic Hopscotch!! Keep it going!!
Old 10-29-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well its coming to the end of day 7.

Terrible sleep last night, didn't get to sleep till 5:30 which was annoying as hell.

Was invited to a halloween party earlier (for the third time!) but declined and just back from the gym.

Off to make supper then film and bed I think. Oh and Il have a browse on Tinder also haha