Notices

Water retention

Old 10-28-2016, 03:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Water retention

Hi All,

I have finallly done it and quit drinking, I have a counselor and know I will succeed this time. I know no medical questions are allowed and don't think this is one. Anyway, I have gained 13 pounds of water since quitting, I even went to ER over it and was actually dehydrated. Will this water weight eventually go away? I am drinking water but can't stand this extra weight of water. Has anyone else had this and how long did it last. I am very depressed over it and really don't need any more sadness.

Thanks for any help or advice...beth
Old 10-28-2016, 04:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
2/2016

Hi, Beth,

Do you have an Internist? You know, a regular doctor? Everyone should have one. Find one in your area. Get a physical. You owe it to yourself.

I have lost 35 pounds from not drinking and controlling my carbs. That is about 9 months. I feel fantastic. Good luck.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was thinking the same thing as I have A LOT of water retention right now as well and it has been 2 weeks - but I have been eating more carbs to stave off the alcohol so that is part of the issue.

I have struggled with this water retention off and on the whole time I have been drinking. Years ago I gained 15 lbs virtually overnight - it eventually went away. The doctor told me to drink lots and lots of water.

If they did blood work at all in the ER, they would have found something if it was concerning.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a huge diuretic that makes your severely dehydrated. It's not uncommon to gain a bit of water weight after quitting, which is a good thing to get your levels back to normal.
If you feel bloated, then proper diet and exercise will level things off.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love your positive attitude carebear!
Old 10-28-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It takes some time, I'm only at 2 weeks again and I'm captain bloato still I think our bodies go through a lot of trauma inside when we drink,I know I've felt beat up inside after a bender,sore muscles, joints,etc so I just think it's leveling out now,all of my blood work is fine btw,stay off the poison and you'll be ok
Old 10-28-2016, 06:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
It takes some time, I'm only at 2 weeks again and I'm captain bloato still I think our bodies go through a lot of trauma inside when we drink,I know I've felt beat up inside after a bender,sore muscles, joints,etc so I just think it's leveling out now,all of my blood work is fine btw,stay off the poison and you'll be ok
Yep. I am very bloated still.

And OMG yes! I would wake up and my whole body would ache - muscles and joints - there were days I could barely move my hands my joints hurt so much. At least that has gotten way better.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for this post! I noticed in the past that I'd gain water weight if I stopped drinking. So in my twisted logic, I started again.....

This time, I am making an effort to stay off it. I hope it will help my body sort itself out! Great job all those who are keeping sober!