Notices

Propranolol?

Old 03-30-2018, 04:35 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am in the UK too, my husband takes Propranolol for heart problems and has done for many years.

He is a daily drinker.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

What are you taking it for? Sorry if you said that already.

It is for high blood pressure. I took it off label for anxiety but my blood pressure is already so low that is made me feel like I'm going to pass out. For me, unfortunately, there is no pharmacological solution to my anxiety. Exercise seems to be key...oh and no drinking

I've never heard of this drug being used to curb cravings. I believe you're thinking more of naltrexone. Antabuse doesn't directly effect cravings (in any kind of brain chemistry way) but does help 'psychologically' because the user will get very ill if they drink on it. I have heard good things about naltrexone however. Pretty sure I just slaughtered the spelling of those drugs

For me, I know ultimately I have to change my thinking. But if a drug helps short term and isn't mood altering or addictive, why not?
Old 03-30-2018, 06:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Propanolol has anti-anxiety properties by slowing the heart rate and reducing adrenaline. It's primarily used for blood pressure and for social anxiety. I have a prescription for when making presentations. It’s not something I’ve really heard prescribed for alcoholism but I suppose it could ease withdrawals a bit.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:16 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Gosh, I haven't posted on here in months and have just logged on (and my old post pops up! Clearly a 'sign', as I slipped off the wagon 5 days ago - sober since). My experience with Propranolol hasn't been great. Even after being sober for 4 months it resulted in tiredness, breathlessness, tears, upset, and lethargy. There was a gentleman on here who stated he just took it before meetings (so it can work for certain individuals). It can alter your breathing which is why I was taken off it, I now carry Diazepam (Valium) , as I cannot take Propranolol - I keep my Diazepam in my purse and just knowing it's there has helped my severe anxiety - I would speak to your health professional
Old 03-30-2018, 01:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm prescribed Propanol for both high blood pressure and anxiety. It's the lowest dose and I can take it 3 times a day. I see it as a great alternative to benzos which I took years ago. They don't really prescribe benzos anymore where I live in the US.
In my specific case its intent is to lower my heart rate, blood pressure and just calm some other overall symptoms if I'm freaking out. It won't shut off the brain though.
Definitely didn't make me forget about drinking.

If anybody winds up in this forum by way of a search, id say it's worth asking your doc about