Notices

Me time and date night ideas

Old 10-16-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Me time and date night ideas

This popped up in another thread, but I figured I'd make a whole new thread about it.

So what do you sober folks do for "me time"? And how about date night?

My me time is thrift store shopping, used book shopping, bubble baths, time lying in the room resting my mind with the door locked and headphones on, reading, and gym sessions. But maybe you guys have things that I should try, so don't be shy now.

Date night tho is a little tricky beyond dinner and a movie. I'd love to have a few more ideas for that one.

Thanks and happy Sober Sunday
Old 10-16-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA Member

yea i take my wife thrift store shopping frequently

she likes it

when shes happy im happy

oh and an hour of hard cardio (almost) everyday to help burn off those resentments

resentments ... my #1 offender

Old 10-16-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I love to hike/walk, read, volunteer for my kids activities, massages and pedicures are the occasional treat.

My husband and I will go for walks together often.

We don't find a ton of time for date nights, a lot more often we do things with the kids. Dinner is always a good option. We also will go to the movies, and have the kids see a movie at the same time. They go to the kid movie, and we see something for grown ups!
Old 10-16-2016, 12:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
EndGame

I learned in sobriety that I don't always need to be doing something, working on something, fixing something, or improving something, that making time for myself, time to do nothing in particular, was not only important, but necessary.

There are no gold medals for burning yourself out early in life.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

bowling?
Old 10-16-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Date night for October might be a local haunted house. We have a great one that has a corn maze. We also have a haunted forest....love it.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ooh good thread..I like baking, reading, gym & of course spending quality time with my boys.
Date night (had 1 last night as kids were at grandma's) had a long candlelit bubble bath followed by dinner & no booze!!!

I also enjoy going to the cinema & catching up with my girlfriend's over a good cuppa!!!
Old 10-16-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nothing better than going to my local coffee shop on a Sunday morning and sitting with a newspaper for a few hours, especially as it's now autumn here, walking and enjoying the crisp morning air is something I never did on weekends when I was nursing a hangover.

I spend a lot of time now experimenting with different green and white teas, that's now one of the things I look forward to each week, as I relax in the evenings after work.

Then there's sport, I watch probably far too much, but learning to enjoy it for sport itself rather than the accompanied drinking was an eye opener, being able to remember every highlight has been a new experience!!
Old 10-16-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Playing music, reading books, or riding on my scooter is good me time

D
Old 10-16-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Woah I forgot all about playing music!! I need to go get my banjo repaired... haven't touched it in about 3 years.

Checking out seasonal/local events is something I hadn't thought of either. LOL for once no risk of being degenerates at the museum

Thanks folks keep em coming
Old 10-16-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
sober style

That's so awesome. I defy anyone to feel bad while playing the banjo!
Old 10-16-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Speaking of music, I started taking drum lessons.....I'm also trying to get back into the habit of drawing & taking some painting classes....getting the creative flow going again!
Old 10-17-2016, 03:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purplrks3647 View Post
Speaking of music, I started taking drum lessons.....I'm also trying to get back into the habit of drawing & taking some painting classes....getting the creative flow going again!
Yeah thats what Im talkin about!

hard to be creative when your drunk or hungover!

looking into taking a stained glass class or some sort of fun art class, one that feels like being a child again, one where I dont critique my supposed lack of creativity!

husband and I are going to take a middle eastern cooking class since we both love to cook and eat
Old 10-17-2016, 06:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good post.

Me time....
I spend a couple of hours in the morning on my devotional/recovery work and that is my favorite time of the day. Some of it is "shared" (ie, emails and texts with my bf as we do our individual program work and things like a shared reading plan on a Bible app).
I retreat by myself at home- watch the shows I like on Netflix/etc or recordings.
Pedicures. Must do every two weeks tops- on my feet ALL the time for work.
Naps. I fit them in quite often- now (almost 8mo sober) they are often just the 30 min kind, though sometimes over an hour if it's after a long day or on a day off.
I write on my blog- like others said, being sober has brought back (and even created greater) creativity.

Date time....we are really trying to do things in Atlanta that are just waiting out there, and that we missed when drinking. Him, because it was work-and-kids -drinking and me because it was work-dates-restaurants-drinking. Last weekend we went to a concert at an Atlanta institution, and saw a group (not a band) different than something we'd usually even listen to. We've done the Aquarium and dinner...plans for other fun sober stuff as we go along. We do things like shop for my new phone together, normal life stuff. I also cook dinner for us sometimes and we both enjoy just being at my place - or his, sometimes, when his 14 yr old is not with him- doing whatever. We also walk my dog together sometimes.

Whatever I am doing, by myself or with anyone else, life is better sober in every way.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
That's so awesome. I defy anyone to feel bad while playing the banjo!
I've included playing a km down the river of the canoe rental place in my bucket list....

I like how many people mentioned cooking. We've been doing a lot of that. It use to be a big hobby of mine till I got too f'ed to do anything right. It's been nice to see boxes of produce pass through the house again!

The Aquarium.... we have one of those! Good call.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bulgakova View Post
This popped up in another thread, but I figured I'd make a whole new thread about it.

So what do you sober folks do for "me time"? And how about date night?

My me time is thrift store shopping, used book shopping, bubble baths, time lying in the room resting my mind with the door locked and headphones on, reading, and gym sessions. But maybe you guys have things that I should try, so don't be shy now.

Date night tho is a little tricky beyond dinner and a movie. I'd love to have a few more ideas for that one.

Thanks and happy Sober Sunday
For me, my me time is a sauna, I love it, also binge watching zombie shows and movies, ive turned insomnia into me time. Date nights, my wife and I started dancing lessons, we also did picnics at local park, long walks with just us and the dogs, we just recently started doing a in house date night were we answer questions for a book called book of questions, that book has started some really fun conservation. We have also found bowling, curling and other games to be fun.
Stay strong,
Mick