Notices

Liquor Delivery: Government Conspiracy?

Old 10-12-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I can so relate to everything on here. When I was drinking a 40 daily, I'm pretty sure I was driving drunk to the liquor store several times a week. Not even legal limit drunk, like whatever messed up version of drunk I was with such a high tolerance. Good thing my car was gone before I could kill myself I guess.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

its an available service in UK to order alcohol if you want it with almost anything else from the big supermarkets . I don't see how it makes any difference to ones sobriety whether its available online or round the corner grocery off-licence store if you want drink you'l get it .
Old 10-12-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

If that service was here when I was drinking, I may never have come down again! Half the time I only stopped drinking because the buses to the nearest 24 hour booze shop had stopped running and I ran out of drink enough to sober up a bit and have second thoughts about getting more.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

In answering the title question, no it's not a conspiracy. Even in the non criminal definition a conspiracy is an agreement between at least two parties to mislead with the intent to gain an advantage. In this situation, who is conspiring and who are they conspiring against? Is it a method to raise more revenue? Possibly, but I don't know and, quite frankly, neither does anyone else although I'm quite sure the lawmakers didn't agree to this because they thought it would be revenue negative. Are the makers of alcoholic products in favor of this? Probably, but there's no inherent downside for them.

I will submit that it makes obtaining alcohol easier, but as long as the delivery restrictions are the same as when stores are open I don't see this resulting in a significant increase in alcohol sales, especially with the $12 delivery fee.

So, no conspiracy and I really think that unless I'm not aware of some facts this is pretty much a non issue.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It doesn't seem to bother me much anymore either. I meant during the drinking days. It was a big ordeal for me to go liquor shopping with kids. Seeing it in the grocery store I would have likely gone downhill way faster.
I had to plan plan plan to get my booze. It was never a leisurely jaunt to the store to get what I wanted. Timing it all out too to go to places where no one would recognize me but the cashiers (we've been down this discussion road before though.

I agree.. no conspiracy. Just like the article I posted said. More ways to get more money to liquor distributors and more tax dollars to the government.
Glad I'm not dealing with that anymore. Just have to worry about all the drunk drivers on the road now (in my province). And yeah. At least liquor delivery cuts down on drunk driving.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:06 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Drunks account for the majority (around 50%) of alcohol sales anyway though, right? This just increases the profit margin.

I agree, not a conspiracy. Just all about the currency.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I will politely disagree with an above poster. Many of us in my province are accustomed to this archaic way of getting alcohol. Even in the digital age, Ontario managed to keep a monopoly on all alcohol sold, while charging a hefty levy on it - as well as cigarettes - though you can buy those at the corner store.
While I agree that no matter what, I was going to get alchohol, I disagree that having easier access to it should make no difference. To someone like me who is in a strong place in her sobriety, it should make no difference.
To someone teetering on the edge, it may make a whole lot of difference.
Understanding our differences - even those by country is key here.
I know that most of you live/work etc in countries where you are surrounded by alcohol. That is what you are accustomed to so you would see what we are going through as quite normal. To us it is quite the opposite.
I'll tell you an even older Ontario alcohol story - before the pretty LCBO stores were allowed to open.
Used to be, you had to go to a depot, give your order (with a limit on it) as well as your ID. Then you would go to a waiting area until called.
So yes, we have moved with the times. Just not at the same rate as others.
And again, I repeat - I am an alcoholic, and was a frequent guest at our LCBO. But even the thought of walking in there sickens me. That I can walk around just about everywhere else without facing it does give me some comfort. Online -ok. I worry about what's next. I don't want to see it at the corner milk store. I don't want to avert my eyes at the grocery store, and currently I don't have to= these are all still safe spaces for us in Ontario.
I hope that clears up at least my feelings on the issue. And please remember, what seems little to some, can be life altering for someone else. Peace from irnldy
Old 10-12-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
In answering the title question, no it's not a conspiracy.
I try to make the titles of my posts rhyme or be "interesting" since I mostly post ******** no one cares about. My bad.

Fun fact: I found one of my just-in-case bottles today. Not enough to get messed, just enough to get to the liquor store. :P I'm so messed.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by vulturine View Post
Fun fact: I found one of my just-in-case bottles today. Not enough to get messed, just enough to get to the liquor store. :P I'm so messed.
I hope you dumped it out?
Old 10-12-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Vultrine, look at it in a more positive light; you initiated a conversation that folks were able to amicably discuss their viewpoints.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:16 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I try to make the titles of my posts rhyme or be "interesting" since I mostly post ******** no one cares about. My bad.
Vultrine, look at it in a more positive light; you initiated a conversation that folks were able to amicably discuss their viewpoints.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

That actually wasn't a sarcastic comment. I'm not like that because I know how messages can be interpreted on the net. I posted about how much I hate my damn futon not too long ago.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
I hear you, Scott.

I dunno, though. The way I drank was to drink everything in the house as fast as I could drink it. If I could've stockpiled wine, I just really don't know if I'd be here today.

One way I 'managed' it was to buy two bottles at a time. I never bought more than two, strangely. I think partly because I knew no matter how many I collected, they'd all be gone in a short time.
You describing me to a T !
Just as a side note, it always blew me away when I saw someone who had a 'stocked' wine cellar. Left me completely dumb founded, like....Yo, how do you do that???
Ha.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:28 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

^^

Yeah, the stocked wine holders and cellars ... mystifying.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

That actually wasn't a sarcastic comment. I'm not like that because I know how messages can be interpreted on the net. I posted about how much I hate my damn futon not too long ago.
I like your threads! I think they are funny and I like reading everyones different viewpoints.

You remind me of one of my sons, your personality on the web.
Hes creative, funny and has a quirky sense of humor. Seems like you do too- I love that!
Old 10-12-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

It's a great title and has been a thoughtful discussion. Well done, Vulturine. You should post more often.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

To add to the conversation, and I know I'm an anomaly on SR, in my basement I have a couple cases of wine, a fully stocked wet bar, and a refrigerator with a couple of cases of beer. For me it's not an issue, but to be clear I'm not advocating anyone follow in my steps. As those who know me will attest, we entertain a lot.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

To add to the conversation, and I know I'm an anomaly on SR, in my basement I have a couple cases of wine, a fully stocked wet bar, and a refrigerator with a couple of cases of beer. For me it's not an issue, but to be clear I'm not advocating anyone follow in my steps. As those who know me will attest, we entertain a lot.
I question why you would even bring it up then, especially in the newcomers forum?
Old 10-12-2016, 12:17 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I had an old friend who was in long term recovery, like 20 years or so, He also had alcohol in his home and had no problem even mixing cocktails for others who visited who drank. Like you said rare but certainly possibl for some.

Myself, I have a basement that has a furnace that clanks and bangs, a washing machine that I have to kick to bring it back on balance, a brand spanking new dryer and several dust bunnies that roll around when a breeze comes through Haha! Needless to say I have no alcohol there nor anywhere else in my house. Ill most likely never be able to handle alcohol that way again. I only have 70 + days sober so I wont be testing it out anytime soon...
Old 10-12-2016, 12:26 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thoughts?
Probably the liquor lobbyists who are very free with their monies spread throughout the pockets of government officials, helps to get bills and measures such as these passed. Works the same way in the US.

When I was bucking heads with some government officials many years ago I received a call from the Associated Press telling me that a congress man had just received a large donation from the opposing side for his charity. I wasn't surprised.

M-Bob