Notices

Liquor Delivery: Government Conspiracy?

Old 10-12-2016, 04:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Liquor Delivery: Government Conspiracy?

Oh wow. I was looking online because they recently allowed people to order liquor on the net in my province, and I was wondering what people were buying. My brand and bottle size is sold out at the warehouse. Smirnoff 750mL vodka in the plastic bottle (no clinking bottles and cheap). I no longer have a credit card, so I can't order anything online anyway, but I totally would have.

I swear this service was created for alcoholics. Normal people don't usually pay $12/order for home delivery unless they like something rare, or they're disabled, but the government isn't going to set up a whole system for a minority of people who make up their sales. Nope, they want to keep pathetic losers like me spending all my welfare money on booze until I finally drink myself to death and stop being a drain on the public health and welfare systems. Two birds with one stone.

Thoughts?
Old 10-12-2016, 05:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm appalled!

I would so definitely have ordered booze online if they'd had that service available when I used to drink!
Old 10-12-2016, 05:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, going to the liquor store was the single biggest hassle of my life. You have to be passably sober to buy alcohol, and I had to keep going back every week, which meant long walks, public transportation and withdrawal setting in every week. Can't even estimate how many times I felt like puking on the bus.

What a life.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never ordered booze online, but $12 for any kind of delivery is pretty darn cheap where I live.

D
Old 10-12-2016, 05:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

ps I wouldn't be trawling online liquor sites if you've quit. Just not a good thing to do.

D
Old 10-12-2016, 05:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

doesn't matter what the govt may want.
no one but me controls my actions. no one but me pours liquor down my throat.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sober style

I'm more worried about da liver than I am about delivery.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well there has been dial-a-bottle style liquor delivery in some provinces for years.
I think really bad alcoholics have their ways of getting what they need. I understand cab services and food delivery can at times facilitate booze pick up and delivery.
We find what we need.
I agree with Dee tho hun. I don't think looking up these sites are a good idea.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
ps I wouldn't be trawling online liquor sites if you've quit. Just not a good thing to do.

D
Hey Dee
I agree - I wouldn't either. However I believe Vulturine and I are in the same Province. It is everywhere - the government is touting it as this huge thing. It's on the radio, tv ads, magazines, and it sometimes comes up as the banner on the right side of my screen when I am online (yesterday it came up while I was attempting to read the Toronto Star newpaper online).
It's very hard to avoid. Liquor is a massive tax grab in Ontario and in Canada in general. The government controls all of it (can't buy it anywhere but in an LCBO (liquour licence control board Ontario). They make a fortune of their monopoly.
As a result, people like me and Vulturine had to show up at LCBO stores during our drinking days. The oddly good part of it for me and quitting is that it's NOT so readily available if you are not seeking it out. For me it would be two busses and a good walk. I too am disturbed that in an attempt to get Ontarians to pay more taxes (aka drink more) that they are offering this service. If I could buy it at anywhere it would have been much harder for me (I think) to quit.
It feels like a failsafe has come away. I think I'm strong enough to withstand it. But just wanted to explain why a lot of us here (my fellow AAers are talking about it at meetings and are equally sick of the ads) are upset by this development.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have wished that it wasn't so readily available around me. I have probably a dozen places really close by that sell it.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I'm appalled!

I would so definitely have ordered booze online if they'd had that service available when I used to drink!
Same here. Back in my drinking days...say last year, I would have definitely bought online. One of the more annoying things about dragging myself into the booze store twice a week was the silly cashiers would recognize me and want to be friendly. As I felt ashamed to be in there, it just heaped more embarrassment onto me. I would even try and shop at different stores just so the cashiers wouldn't see me too often. Anyways, if I could have had it delivered, I'd probably have bought vodka by the case instead of a pair of bottles per visit.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There were 3 or 4 maybe 5 different places within 1 mile of my house that I could go to get my drink of choice. Nowadays I drive by and smile thinking of how much money they are losing since I got sober! I plan to never line their pockets with anymore of my money!
I do know that wine can be purchased online by the case. Funny, I couldnt bring myself to buy multiple bottles of anything because my intention was to quit ' tomorrow' I knew if I bought it, Id drink it so never ever bought more one bottle, except that one time when Captain Morgan was on sale, well not being one to ever pass up a sale, I got two. Ha!
Anyway, My tomorrows added up to over two years and TOO much of my money!
Old 10-12-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wine delivery would've been disastrous for me, no doubt.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Cuts drink driving.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

True! It does.

I might've died before I got sober though. Seriously.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes the government certainly has the bottom dollar at heart and not the population's health and safety. While we don't have liquor delivery in this province, I read an article that absolutely appalls me and worries me for the future.

Full speed ahead: How liquor privatization could impact drinking and driving in Sask. | paNOW

It's great for them that they are going to make lots of tax dollars off of this. This is going to cost our health care industry which is already suffering from a lack of quality health providers, facilities, beds etc a huge burden, not to mention the impact it will have on communities.

I find it incredibly frustrating that the government is so backasswards regarding matters such as alcohol sales. Where they should be funneling money into education so we can get more doctors and nurses, mental health and addictions counselors out there, more money into building hospitals and facilities to treat these peoples, and into providing community initiatives to help curb the drug and alcohol problems we face in the provinces and in this country. Where I live, there is a huge drug epidemic and alcohol comes in close behind.

I wish we would move forward instead of backwards in addressing these societal issues. It costs us all a lot in the long run.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's not surprising in the least, we have moved into an era where pretty much anything can be delivered directly to your home in a very short time. Groceries, sporting equipment, you name it and Amazon or someone will have it at your door.

To me the supply of alcohol is not the problem, it's always readily available and having the delivery option really wouldn't have changed anything.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I hear you, Scott.

I dunno, though. The way I drank was to drink everything in the house as fast as I could drink it. If I could've stockpiled wine, I just really don't know if I'd be here today.

One way I 'managed' it was to buy two bottles at a time. I never bought more than two, strangely. I think partly because I knew no matter how many I collected, they'd all be gone in a short time.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I used to think about stock piling too. But I'm the same as you, I would plow through it pretty fast.
When I started buying the big bottles of vodka to economize and make sure I had my week's supply out on the farm, that was a quick descent into bad dependency. Always had to make sure I had a back up of beer or coolers in case I ran out due to weather.
I really don't think making it easier to access liquor will help anyone in the long run.
I feel for you guys in the US having to see it at every grocery store and gas station. I'd go nuts.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I don't look at that aisle, Delizadee. I just kinda look away to something else. Seems to do the trick. Not a problem anymore.