Notices

The start of my journey

Old 10-09-2016, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The start of my journey

Hey everyone,

Today I am starting my journey of a life without alcohol. I do not drink everyday but over the period of a year when I drank I amassed some debt which I am still paying off. I just lose all control and don't know when to call it a day. I feel the only way to turn my life around is to have a life without alcohol. It has ruined my credit score, relationships with girlfriends and family.

Any tips or comments are appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you've made the decision to stop drinking.

Do you have a plan in mind to make this work for you?
Old 10-09-2016, 01:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you, BillyBoulders. You'll find great advice & encouragement here.

I found that my behavior was unpredictable when alcohol was in my system. I never knew where it would take me. It was so much safer to get free of it and stop all together. You can do it.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Me too!!!🖐🖐alcohol has ruined alot for me, I just can't stop once I start! Day 1 for both of us..good luck!!
Old 10-09-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm glad you've made the decision to stop drinking.

Do you have a plan in mind to make this work for you?
Hi Anna,

I've just decided to see less of certain people and avoid certain situations. I've been reading a lot online tonight for different ideas.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Glad to meet you, BillyBoulders. You'll find great advice & encouragement here.

I found that my behavior was unpredictable when alcohol was in my system. I never knew where it would take me. It was so much safer to get free of it and stop all together. You can do it.
Glad to meet you Hevyn.

I am the same and sadly as I am getting older it's only getting worse instead of better. Thanks for the kind words.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In order to stop drinking for good, you must want to be sober more than you want to drink. I hope we can help you get to that point and keep going.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loulou1981 View Post
Me too!!!🖐🖐alcohol has ruined alot for me, I just can't stop once I start! Day 1 for both of us..good luck!!
Hey Loulou,

Yeah I have that problem too. Turning in to a person that I don't like. Good luck to you too!
Old 10-09-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
In order to stop drinking for good, you must want to be sober more than you want to drink. I hope we can help you get to that point and keep going.
I hope so too. I would really like to appreciate the benefits of a sober life and be able to use my time productively. Thank you
Old 10-09-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Billy boulders welcome and happy you found SR, I am almost 30 days sober, firstly when I quit I stopped going out to pub (never drank at home) and told my drinking buddies I was finished with the liquor. I drew a line in the sand and let them know that it was affecting my health and marriage etc. I didn't receive many calls, like I was no longer in the club, that made me happy, well they didn't want to bother me as they too busy getting drunk and now have refocused my energy on my family, work, health, and feel so much better and not trying to "wing it" in work.... dying with a hangover (especially Mondays) and waiting to get finished work to get to pub for a cure, so the cycle continued. Also I found I have more money especially helpful since a week later I gave up the cigs also so allot more cash and presents for Christmas, and catching up on bills that need to be paid, I wish you all the best Billy Boulder and plenty of help here on SR
Old 10-09-2016, 02:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

BB, welcome to SR. Participating in this site has helped me tremendously. In the beginning, avoiding people, places and things that I associated with drinking was helpful - but also tricky since I primarily drank alone and at home! There was no alcohol in my house the first few months and I did not go to restaurants without someone who knew my history. I also planned out my free time so that I was busy so avoid boredom that might lead to drinking.
Let us know how you are doing.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Billy. I'd suggest getting a plan that involves adding things into your daily life rather than just taking things away. Dee's thread about making a plan is a good un.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans-1.html

Your name remind me of something someone said to me last night at AA that rang true for me. "It's not the boulders in the path of our recovery journey that trip us up, we tend to see those coming and manage to walk round those. It's those little pebbles that wrong foot us." So, look out for the pebbles Billy boulders.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB
Old 10-10-2016, 11:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum BillyBoulders!!
Old 10-10-2016, 02:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by carlingford View Post
Welcome Billy boulders welcome and happy you found SR, I am almost 30 days sober, firstly when I quit I stopped going out to pub (never drank at home) and told my drinking buddies I was finished with the liquor. I drew a line in the sand and let them know that it was affecting my health and marriage etc. I didn't receive many calls, like I was no longer in the club, that made me happy, well they didn't want to bother me as they too busy getting drunk and now have refocused my energy on my family, work, health, and feel so much better and not trying to "wing it" in work.... dying with a hangover (especially Mondays) and waiting to get finished work to get to pub for a cure, so the cycle continued. Also I found I have more money especially helpful since a week later I gave up the cigs also so allot more cash and presents for Christmas, and catching up on bills that need to be paid, I wish you all the best Billy Boulder and plenty of help here on SR
Hey carlingford,

We sound very much alike especially for the situations. Although I'm not married all my previous relationships have suffered and I had began to make mistakes at work too. Thank you for your kind words and wish you the best of luck with your journey too.

Best wishes!
Old 10-10-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FLCamper View Post
BB, welcome to SR. Participating in this site has helped me tremendously. In the beginning, avoiding people, places and things that I associated with drinking was helpful - but also tricky since I primarily drank alone and at home! There was no alcohol in my house the first few months and I did not go to restaurants without someone who knew my history. I also planned out my free time so that I was busy so avoid boredom that might lead to drinking.
Let us know how you are doing.
Hey FLcamper,

Great advice about planning my spare time. I am currently looking at martial arts (as it's something I used to love) as well as running as it helps me focus and feel better. It's great just getting messages of positivity from people such as yourself!

Thank you!
Old 10-10-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Welcome Billy. I'd suggest getting a plan that involves adding things into your daily life rather than just taking things away. Dee's thread about making a plan is a good un.

Your name remind me of something someone said to me last night at AA that rang true for me. "It's not the boulders in the path of our recovery journey that trip us up, we tend to see those coming and manage to walk round those. It's those little pebbles that wrong foot us." So, look out for the pebbles Billy boulders.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB
Hey Berrybean,

Thank you for your advice. I will watch out for those pebbles. Hope you are well.

Thank you
Old 10-10-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleKnight View Post
Welcome to the Forum BillyBoulders!!
Thank you PurpleKnight! Hope you are well!
Old 10-10-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Billy

If you read the link berrybean posted that should set you up with the makings of a good recovery plan

D
Old 10-11-2016, 12:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome Billy

If you read the link berrybean posted that should set you up with the makings of a good recovery plan

D
Hey Dee,

Thanks for the advice! Hope you are well