Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Even Jesus slipped several times before getting nailed to his cross....

Notices

Old 10-10-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

But eventually he got there. No more slips, I'm on the cross.

It's true about HALT......

The journey of a thousand miles........for it is a journey, there is no destination.

Alcohol is toxic and that one drink lights the fuse......it may not go bang straight away but it burns and it will explode. The collateral damage is too high a price to pay for.....what? a twenty minute buzz followed by 72 hours or madness. That's all that needs to be said.

The past is the past.

Onwards and upwards.

To the sober life.

Book reading: Alcoholism to recovery: I'll stop tomorrow
Podcast: Recovery Elevator, Alcohol Mastery, Smart Recovery, AA beyond belief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBanU-AHMqg

Last edited by Nalanda; 10-10-2016 at 06:38 AM. Reason: To instead of too.....unforgivable
Old 10-10-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Im not happy that you feel nailed to that cross but Im sure happy you are posting here to get the support you need and deserve!

Are you considering any sort of formal treatment program or face to face support to help as well?
Old 10-10-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Perhaps sobering up will lead to you being less crucified in a way as well though?
Old 10-10-2016, 09:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

Jesus also turned water into wine, that's definitely alcoholic behavior

Good luck on your journey Nalanda!
Old 10-10-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Speaking of the crucifixion ... In Matthew chapter 27, verse 34 (and in the parallel verse in Mark), the gospel states that the soldiers gave Jesus "wine mixed with gall, but he refused to drink it." In those days it was custom for a condemned person to be given a "stupefying drink", an "intoxicating liquor", to dull the senses and ease the pain during the crucifixion process. But Jesus, knowing that he was about to endure hours of suffering and torture on the cross before "giving up his spirit", "refused to drink it," choosing instead to remain fully conscious as he lived out his remaining hours. I do not know if you are a Christian, but I often draw strength from this verse when life's difficulties make me want to return to my old addiction.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ooona View Post
Im not happy that you feel nailed to that cross but Im sure happy you are posting here to get the support you need and deserve!

Are you considering any sort of formal treatment program or face to face support to help as well?
I don't really feel nailed to the cross....

I think I was feeling a bit "guilty" or "bad" or "tired" from the previous binge and it was a comment I made to my gf, who is a Jesus fan.

I feel comfortable with the sobriety decision....it's a question of energy and avoiding more mishaps and creating peace of mind...

When I envisage the next few months......the Christmas period.....I see two choices.......drinking......and a potential mess and loss and who knows what......(I don't see moderation)

or sober and peaceful.....waking up fresh with energy like a cat and having peace of mind........

I choose the later.

Face to face? There ain't much choice
Old 10-10-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah that feeling of being comfortable with the decision is paramount I think. We have to come to terms with and prepare for battle so to speak.

That will be awesome to spent the holidays in a more peaceful and serene way however, the real question is what is your plan NOW? Christmas and the holidays are a ways down the road and can and will be a fantastic time for you and gf if you start to work on a good solid foundation now ya know?

Keep posting here and let us help you built it!
Old 10-10-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
Speaking of the crucifixion ... In Matthew chapter 27, verse 34 (and in the parallel verse in Mark), the gospel states that the soldiers gave Jesus "wine mixed with gall, but he refused to drink it." In those days it was custom for a condemned person to be given a "stupefying drink", an "intoxicating liquor", to dull the senses and ease the pain during the crucifixion process. But Jesus, knowing that he was about to endure hours of suffering and torture on the cross before "giving up his spirit", "refused to drink it," choosing instead to remain fully conscious as he lived out his remaining hours. I do not know if you are a Christian, but I often draw strength from this verse when life's difficulties make me want to return to my old addiction.
I like it.

But I think I prefer Buddha

The Four Noble Truths speaks volumes about addiction
Old 10-10-2016, 04:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ooona View Post
Yeah that feeling of being comfortable with the decision is paramount I think. We have to come to terms with and prepare for battle so to speak.

That will be awesome to spent the holidays in a more peaceful and serene way however, the real question is what is your plan NOW? Christmas and the holidays are a ways down the road and can and will be a fantastic time for you and gf if you start to work on a good solid foundation now ya know?

Keep posting here and let us help you built it!
Plan?

Work, train, eat, rest, save, read, sleep,

Possibly Monk Mode and concentrate on happiness and success goals and build a wall with high perimeter walls in which there are built doors but with the door handle on the inside for which I alone hold the key...

A cow eats and shites. everything else is not his business

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RrS7P6UTKA
Old 10-10-2016, 04:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can do this Nalanda!!

For me some solid regular support was needed in my plan, that's what kept me focused on the task at hand, gave me a second opinion on things when my addiction was trying to sell me all the good reasons why I should drink again!!
Old 10-10-2016, 05:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Really bad analogy, just sayin.......

There are many paths - glad your seeking yours. Welcome
Old 10-11-2016, 02:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

This thread has more than run its course.

Closed.

Dee
SR
Old 10-11-2016, 02:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
This thread has more than run its course.

Closed.

Dee
SR
Why? I see you have not really closed it actually, Dee... I personally think that Nalanda's ideas and comments can not only be interesting but also helpful to certain kinds of people, and while perhaps triggering to some, also quite thought provoking.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aellyce View Post
Why? I see you have not really closed it actually, Dee... I personally think that Nalanda's ideas and comments can not only be interesting but also helpful to certain kinds of people, and while perhaps triggering to some, also quite thought provoking.
Some responses have been deleted that you may not have read. Its starting to go into an argumentative realm.

Its one thing to disagree, its quite another to be disrespectful and abusive towards other posters.

Im glad its been closed.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I forgot to close it.
My apologies.

I have nothing against robust discussion - even passionate disagreement - so long as things remain civil.

This thread was not moving in that direction.

As was noted, some posts have been removed under rule 4

4. No Flaming: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums.

No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun of, or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.
Dee
SR