Notices

New to the site! Thanks!

Old 10-01-2016, 10:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the site! Thanks!

Hey everyone. I'm 20 years old and I've been an alcoholic since I was 18. I've been to AA, inpatient rehab facilities, and hospitals to no avail of having an intention to stop. This morning my mom told me she was worried about me because I can be dead at age 30 if I continue drinking and there's nothing she can do about it. This sparked something in me. I realize that alcohol is damaging my life. Well, I've known it has been but I try to ignore it. Every girl who has come close to me I end up pushing away. My parents are really, really supportive and I'm glad for that. I'm currently in college, commuting from home. They offer to pay for on campus housing if I can beat my addiction, and I still continue to drink. I'm mad at myself, but I guess not enough to put down the beer. My health is taking a toll, I sometimes have urine leakage, and I don't have the attention or sharpness of mind like I used to. I need to stop. I need to be committed this time. I guess, what do you do that first lonely night without using?
Old 10-01-2016, 10:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Keep posting on here is a great way to spend your new sober time!

Welcome to SR and congrats on the decision to look at making some important changes in your life I would suggest to keep posting, posting, posting. And come up with a solid plan for sobriety after your initial detox. (Please consider a medical detox if withdrawal symptoms are an issue at all for you ... coming off liquor can be very dangerous). And just because you have tried some things in the past, don't rule out trying them again. I did that for a long time, and didn't get well. I think willingness and having an open mind are crucial to recovery.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi FalconsFan...
Welcome to SR!! Glad you're here. That first night is tough, I know. I came here. And I read. A lot. And talked to people. It helped. I didn't feel so alone. A funny movie, too, and your favorite snacks, maybe?
Glad you are here.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Old 10-01-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

Old 10-01-2016, 12:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome and you can do this as many in your condition have sobered up and stayed sober. From reading your story, sounds like your mind, body and soul are wanting sobriety.

M-Bob
Old 10-01-2016, 12:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yesterday was my day1(again). I I emptied my home of all booze on Thur morning,but bought two pints of beer to "help" me cope with the coming off of a 5-7day vodka binge,with beer(s) mixed in. I was a complete wreck. Last night I spent my first night without,on here, reading the "friends and family of" section. I'll do the same tonight. It's eyeopening to see how your using affects the lives and emotions of your loved ones. Heartbreaking actually.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to SR FalconsFan

I am pleased that you understand the need to quit

You should try and draw up a plan that incudes non drinking activities for those times when you are most likely to want to drink, for most of us that is the evenings obviously. It could be something that you used to be interested in but stopped doing when the booze took over or it could be something new

At your age you will have to give serious thought to your social life as I am sure much of it will involve being where alcohol is served. Fortunately there are plenty of alternatives these days
Old 10-01-2016, 12:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the site. Please stay with us...we need each other.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
Yesterday was my day1(again). I I emptied my home of all booze on Thur morning,but bought two pints of beer to "help" me cope with the coming off of a 5-7day vodka binge,with beer(s) mixed in. I was a complete wreck. Last night I spent my first night without,on here, reading the "friends and family of" section. I'll do the same tonight. It's eyeopening to see how your using affects the lives and emotions of your loved ones. Heartbreaking actually.
Hi DontRemember,

Welcome - thanks for posting this!

I'm Snarly - day 11 and joined S/R this week.

Like you, this is not my first relapse. I've been doing this rodeo since my early twenties. I even managed to make my 9 year sober anniversary.

I see you've been a member for some time and have even done a fair
amount of posting.

Seems like you are no stranger to the forum and have most likely read stories that you can relate to.

Why not set up your own thread and post your story. Ask a few questions and let other members welcome you and provide some insight that may be valuable to YOU.

I did and it has become a safe haven for me - especially during my first few days. You've been there. Sure your going to go through a couple of rough days - we all have. But while you wait for your body to detox and heal you need to keep your mind busy.

My mind (AV - I remember thinking what does Audio Video have to do with sobriety!) was out of control. I was in bad shape! Shakes and uncontrolled fits of sweating and intense cold.

I hung around here and read while hoping someone would reach out to me. Members were quick to greet me and patiently listened to my rambles and gave me some great advice.. and of course no judgement.

New October class just opened... you could be one of the first members.

I joined September as well as October.

Here's one of my favorite quotes that I read countless times a day:

:It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get back up."
Vince Lombardi

Look forward to hearing you story.

Snarly
Old 10-01-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome FalconsFan nice to meet you
Old 10-01-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very glad to have you with us, FalconsFan. You are never alone.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome FalconFan

SR got me through that first night - and quite a few others besides
I know you'll find support here.

Apart from SR, whats your plan to stay sober this time?

D
Old 10-02-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum FalconsFan!!