Notices

Appearance changes

Old 09-30-2016, 10:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
K66
Sober Date March 19, 2018 *One Day At A Time*

Appearance changes

How long does it take to start looking like your old self again... my skins so dry and patchy it looks bumpy..chest flushes... redness in my one eye which is new... red dry bumps on my arms and legs... pale grey is completion kinda brownish spots on my forhead and cheeks. ... I'm only 30 and this has all been happening since the beginning of summer changing progressively as I continued to drink... just ending day 1..
Old 09-30-2016, 11:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There are a few threads about this, here is a recent one: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...oking-now.html

It seems many people will have a noticeable improvement in their appearance within two to three weeks.
Best wishes.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

For me it was noticeably better after a month or two I am eating right & cutting the bad stuff out which has further improved my appearance

Seeing a dr helped me a lot too

Good job finishing up day 1 K66
Old 10-01-2016, 02:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have always started seeing a difference after quitting within days, starting with puffiness in my face. Then the longer I stay quit it just slowly improves I think.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It would be interesting to find effective ways to speed that process up. besides a clean diet and some sort of sports. I could imagine lots of water and omega 3 supplementation would help.

Anyone any recommendations or experiences?
Old 10-01-2016, 05:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I found out I was severely deficient in vitamins, especially B vitamins. I ramped up my supplements, started doing green smoothies, tons of water flavored with cucumber, ginger, lemon, lime, whatever I felt like @ the time. And tons of sleep. I noticed an improvement quickly in the way that I looked and felt. I still don't feel like superwoman, but I am working on consistently eating better, sleeping better and drinking more water. The bloat, redness, tired eyes that were a part of who I was daily are gone - except for the tired eyes. I am still tired. Lol. That won't change anytime soon though.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I was deeply toxified from drinking for 25 years str8. My skin and eyes showed it. Oily skin and red eyes all the time.

Now clean 17 months, when i see my more clear skin and bright white eyes....i look magnificent. Close up in the mirror i look amazing.

When i was a drunk i remember thinking, thank God i don't have to look at myself all day.

Sobriety forever is the first answer to all of our problems.

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by K66 View Post
How long does it take to start looking like your old self again... my skins so dry and patchy it looks bumpy..chest flushes... redness in my one eye which is new... red dry bumps on my arms and legs... pale grey is completion kinda brownish spots on my forhead and cheeks. ... I'm only 30 and this has all been happening since the beginning of summer changing progressively as I continued to drink... just ending day 1..
Hi K66,

Welcome! Congratulations on Day 1! Really? Wow.

I'm Snarly and I am new here as well. Today is Day 11 for me.

I think it's great that are able to come on here and post. All I could was explore the forum and read members stories. I found I could relate with them and some of them made me want to learn more.

It wasn't until day 6 that I was able to make my first post. I had some questions and I put them down same as you did regarding your health and appearance.

Members were quick to welcome and even thanked me for posting!
I could barely think straight. My body had finally forced me to commit to getting sober. I was shaking with fits of sweating and intense cold. Did you go through this?

I posted A LOT. More like I rambled a lot. Members were (and continue to be) kind and patient. They provided some great advice and "listened" patiently while I rambled.

By day 10 my head was clearing and the shakes and hot/cold flashes were finally over. I even attended my first ever online Meeting in the Chat room.

Please stick around and post away. Read and say thanks and ask questions when something interests you.

Someone also told me to look for a class. I joined the September class.
I know they just set up the new October class.

You are going to be one of the senior members of your class! How cool is that. I joined September this week so I might join your class as well.

Good luck,

Snarly (thats me getting virtually whacked cause booze = bad stuff WILL happen1)

ps I have had so much fun with the smilies... perfect for my fuzzy brain
Old 10-01-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah alcoholism is a real killer on your looks.

Sooo here's my experience. 30 days I should start to see improvement. I take Biotin and B12 (great for skin, nails and hair ) but see your dr before taking supplements. Exfoliation helps all the icky dry skin issues, pure coconut oil on the skin (very pure), Bio oil helps the brown spots...truly helps fade them. The skin on my neck and chest are super sensitive so I use aloe vera there and that really helps. Exercise, Exercise, Exercise. The sweating really helps speed up the process, for me anyway. Lots of water. Clean diet. Sleep, lots of it.

If your dr clears you for supplements I find the B vits really help speed up the process. The older ya are, the longer it takes. 10 years ago I saw changes in only a few days. Now at 51, it takes at least 2-3 weeks. Oh and I'm probably drinking a lot more when I do drink. There's THAT!