Notices

For the ladies, how are you looking now

Old 09-29-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For the ladies, how are you looking now

Was wondering if any ladies feel that their looks, hair, weight etc have benefited greatly from sobriety. Shallow subject, I know but I am still interested.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Absolutely! My skin looks so much clearer, my hair is shinier and I no longer require consistent use of eye drops for bloodshot eyes! It gets better with each and every sober day!
Old 09-29-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep. Nearly everyone I see tells me I look better than ever. I am going on 8 mos sober now, and people I have seen for the first time since quitting usually say immediately how wonderful I look, especially my face. I definitely look better at 40 than I did last year, or for most of the last couple of years of my 30s.

Overall, I feel pretty many more days than not - my skin is rosier, and I know my body is hydrated because my skin is soft. I look healthy weight wise though I'd like to lose about five pounds (I needed to gain when I quit and have focused on being healthy not skinny like I did when I lived on vodka). My hair had thinned and it has filled out some. And I smile, a LOT.

All of my "levels" from liver to iron are normal and that has to help, too.

Best of all, I feel good most of the time.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was looking great, but back on day 5, so a few days to go to get it back yet..
Old 09-29-2016, 06:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was bloated, my skin was thinning, hair was falling out, eyes were dull and the whites were yellowed.

Now I am thinner, healthier, look good, feel good, hair is curly and shiny and thick...I am 16 months in. People do not recognize me because of how much I have changed.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hair thicker, skin better, nails grow, eyes brighter.

I did gain weight (at six months in) but it doesnt matter because I feel so much better in my own head.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hear often (4.5 months out) that I look really good. In some ways I feel it, too. My hair is healthier/growing more than it has in years, my skin is clearer, eyes are brighter.
I have been slagging on the gym and not drinking enough water the last few weeks so my body feels a little squishier, but I have/had been noticing a difference more in my shape. Weight hasn't really changed, but there is less sitting around the middle and I have more flat belly days than when I was drinking (I really didn't have any anymore before I quit). Things feel distributed better, if that makes sense!
Old 09-29-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Lolly,

I will have nine months sober in two days, and I am much healthier both physically and mentally! I have lost. 42 pounds (I started Weight Watchers at the same time), I no longer have a puffy red face, and do not need drops for my eyes in the morning.

Looking better is one of the many benefits of sobriety!
Old 09-29-2016, 08:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ahem! I've never conformed to rules so, ever the contrarian, I'm gate crashing your "lady-thread"!

You don't think men too, care about the affects of alcoholic drinking? ;-)

Beer Belly - Gone, I have a youthful 28" waist back again
Bags Under Eyes - Non - Existent
Blotchy Skin - Skin as clear and smooth as a baby's arse.
Mouth Ulcers & smelly breath - Gone
Blood Shot Eyes - Eyes as bright as 100w light bulbs

Everyone I know has said I look like a different person & my children haven't told me "you look tired dad" for many a month.

Happy days........., and sorry for crasing in, I'll get my coat! :-)
Old 09-29-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AA Member

i will add that if it werent for you beautiful ladies i wouldnt be sober

no really

i didnt come to aa to get sober ...

i originally went to aa to hear the funny stories and look at the girls!

i was a young man then

true story

now happily married 21 years

Old 09-29-2016, 08:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

60 days + sober I have noticed these changes:

I have lost several pounds so far a few more to go. Cutting out several thousand empty calories a week is helping tremendously! Plus Im moving my azz more, have alot more energy now!

I have had psorasis for many years but it was HORRIBLE when I was drinking heavy. It has completely cleared up without the use of steroids or other medications. I use coconut oil daily on my skin and scalp.

I didnt take care of my self very well in regards to seeing the doctor/dds on a regular basis. Since getting sober I have had a full doctor workup, have upcoming appointments for dentist and to get my eyes checked. Showing my self some love by taking care of my body feels great and now I have the extra money to do some of these important things.

Staying hydrated via water, tea and etc. I was SO dehydrated when I was drinking and if I did get thirsty I reached for coffee or alcohol! Eating healthier, no drunken binges on high fat/salt/sugar! Im contemplating returning to a vegetarian lifestyle ( I felt super good back when I didnt eat meat)

Eyes and hair are shiny and bright. Even skin is looking clearer. I have broken blood vessels on my cheeks but they dont seem as pronounced or red, seem to be fading?

No bruises, scratches, bumps,burns etc! At least if I do have any I know where they came from haha! I used to look myself over constantly wondering, how the hell did I get that bruise? I always had burns on my wrists and arms from cooking in the oven when drunk and inevitably touching the inside of the oven! OUCH!

My nails are stronger and I can paint my own now!! I had constant shakes when drinking, couldnt paint my finger or toe nails. Even my hair stylist mentioned, ' why is your head shaking so much'? I love the fact that I can do my own self care without the embaressment and frustration of shaking!

Thanks for the question, so good for me to write out my own personal benefits!
Old 09-29-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great posts from everyone. You all seem so happy, healthy and georgeous without the dreaded booze. Sorry January, didnt mean to exclude you guys. Glad the beer belly has gone, not a good look on either sex. Thank you, all.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Like a rocking supermodel! Lol. I am 6 feet tall so there is the only thing I have in common with them.

Seriously though, hair and nails are nicer now, skin is tighter, lost ten pounds so I am right where I am supposed to be. Most important thing is that I feel good about myself. That is nice.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

At 14 months choices are different. I'm improving my mind body and soul because they're all one. Staying positive, changing attitude. I eat healthy so I've lost the weight I always wanted to. I'm starting to do yoga for strength and toning, face is thinner, bags gone, skin a healthy color, hair thicker, gray but that's okay. Little interest in makeup. There are so many things that I'm just not interested in anymore and have no meaning. It's all good.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I still look old but that's probably because I'm old! LOL

Seriously though, I am taking better care of myself, in general, and that should translate into a better overall appearance over time. I think if I quit smoking that would make a BIG difference. One thing at a time.

At 2 1/2 weeks, no puffy eyes, clearer eyes and face redness is less apparent. Putting on a little weight at the waist line but I can live with it.

Ooona
I have had psorasis for many years but it was HORRIBLE when I was drinking heavy. It has completely cleared up without the use of steroids or other medications. I use coconut oil daily on my skin and scalp.
Yep!!! Drinking, stress and lack of sleep. I've been using essential oils for the past several months with fantastic results. (I've been doing the on and off drinking thing since May.)
Old 09-29-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Love all the posts... I know it's not going to be happen, but I think it would be SUPER interesting to see before and after pics.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I lost weight at first but gained it back. :-( Still struggling with my sweet tooth!

My face is no longer bloated, though. My hair used to be dull and dry and now looks healthy again. My eyes -- well, I have blepharitis so they're still kinda bloodshot, dang it.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've been sober 9 months and I've seen lots of change. I've lost weight and am no longer bloated, my rosacea went away, my skin is clear and my eyes are bright. I'm also taking care of myself, doing yoga, meditation and cycling, keeping on a healthy vegetarian diet and taking supplements. I didn't use to care if I lived or not. Now I really care.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tufty13 View Post
Ahem! I've never conformed to rules so, ever the contrarian, I'm gate crashing your "lady-thread"!

You don't think men too, care about the affects of alcoholic drinking? ;-)

Beer Belly - Gone, I have a youthful 28" waist back again
Bags Under Eyes - Non - Existent
Blotchy Skin - Skin as clear and smooth as a baby's arse.
Mouth Ulcers & smelly breath - Gone
Blood Shot Eyes - Eyes as bright as 100w light bulbs

Everyone I know has said I look like a different person & my children haven't told me "you look tired dad" for many a month.

Happy days........., and sorry for crasing in, I'll get my coat! :-)
So you had bags under your eyes and they are gone now ?
How long have you been sober ?