Notices

33 hours in........ How to get to 34?

Old 09-18-2016, 12:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

33 hours in........ How to get to 34?

Hi there. I am 33 hours sober (with the help of scripts from my GP). I recently decided that I need to get my mental health in order. I suffer from panic disorder and OCD. I have been self medicating with beer for just under 4 years now. I am on a night shift right now, sitting in an office, with nothing to do but let my mind race off into the dark places it will now that it doesn't have alcohol to keep it at bay. I am COMMITTED to my self to quit. I got a new prescription to help with my mental health and all of the information given to me for it says not to drink while taking it. Well, doesn't that sound easy! If only I hadn't been drinking 8-howevermany drinks a night to do what these meds are supposed to. Any way, because of my MH issues I will not start taking these until I am at least 48 hours sober. I am so anxious right now thought that I am thinking about scrapping the whole idea! not really though, I need to do this. I have a genetic component to addiction that I'd rather not carry on any further into my life. I just want to know that I will see the side of sobriety that can lead me on a much better path then the beer would. Any one with stories of how they made it through there first few days would be so helpful. I am so anxious about what I might run into as far as discomfort. I have come this far though, I have to push through. I just need A LOT of reassurance.

Thanks much and lots of love!
Old 09-18-2016, 12:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome

I'm not a Dr... but 33 hours in, wouldn't your BAC be 0.0?

I understand if you're obsessing and worried tho.

Maybe phone your Dr as soon as you can in the morning for his/her assessment?

the short answer to your thread title is minute by minute if you have to - keep busy - things will get easier promise

Withdrawal is different for just about everyone. Generally, I felt like a had a flu for a few days.

D
Old 09-18-2016, 12:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Lifeandhope ~ welcome.

I remember my first night clearly, exactly as you described, mind racing everywhere....but I hear your determination. You can do this.

I stayed here....I read posts, and I found the chat room. I went in and talked to fellow members here, and they helped me....got me through. When I didn't have to be anywhere else, I was there....every day for two weeks. The wonderful people helped me to get stronger.

If you can stay logged on through your shift, you will have someone with you all of the time.

Grab a bottle of water, and try to stay hydrated. And eat something if you can.

Sending huge hugs.

Suze ♥
Old 09-18-2016, 12:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi lifeandhope.

I'm another member from Aus. There's a few of us around, so even in the middle of your night you'll find someone to chat to if you reach out. People here are genuine, compassionate, not judgemental and generous with their knowledge. Make use of them!

I'm only four months sober, so my very early days are fresh memories. I escaped into books. I read here. Discomfort is temporary and you can get through it. You're stronger than you think you are.

Welcome to SR.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Lifeandhope. Welcome.

It does get better...keeping busy and when you're not busy...come here, as Suze says, look around the forums, there are many people who know just what you're going through.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee, yes, I am sure I am fine to start, but you're right about the obsession. I also don't want to have one more thing to make me anxious. And I am taking it minute by minute. I have my 'getting sober' journal with me as well. Documenting all of the feelings so (hopefully) I can look back at it and will never want to to this part again!
Old 09-18-2016, 12:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Lifeandhope

Keep posting, you can do this.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all! It's such a comfort knowing that there are real people going through the same real things I am right now!
I am doing my best to keep busy! I am happy to have come here. I just have to tell myself that what to come is the way life is supposed to be. Not sitting at home, drinking the hours away. What time I have wasted.

Did any one else feel a little 'manic' in the begining? I don't know if it was that or if I just had to be doing something but I rearranged my bedroom today for 6 hours!! at least it was productive
Old 09-18-2016, 01:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was too sick in the first few days to be manic.

It took me a little while to find my sea legs, maybe 4 or 5 days....it can be different for everyone. So nope, no rearranging of furniture first off...but it's pretty impressive.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lifeandhope View Post
Did any one else feel a little 'manic' in the begining? I don't know if it was that or if I just had to be doing something but I rearranged my bedroom today for 6 hours!! at least it was productive
Hah yes! I bet I have the tidiest and most organised garage for miles around. Its good to keep distracted with things like this in the early weeks. It gets easier.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What's the saying Venuscat? Idle hands are the devils plaything? More like the beer cans plaything for me I just have to be doing something. I did notice though that the hours don't go by as quickly as they did two days ago! I always thought i never had enough time? maybe now I can take back those empty hours and construct something worthwhile.

Thanks again!
Old 09-18-2016, 01:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Time is one of the great gifts of sobriety.

Days were always just 'lost' for me before; there were never enough hours. And I always felt like I was in a muddle. Hungover but trying to function. Blech. Really not fun.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

it's funny how many times i can remember my self saying
"well, this was a non-day, i'll make something count tomorrow'
I never did of course. But now it seams possible.
I am very much looking forward to my next paycheck. I wont have to cringe at my alcohol allotment! I'll put that away for something nice! or waste it on movies or something

Side Note: is there an etiquette page here. I have been reading other's posts but I don't want to be rude butting in if that's not how it works.

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2016, 01:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Here are some SR guidelines Lifeandhope.

Policies, Rules & Posting Tips - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 09-18-2016, 01:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

And some other links you might like:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-166-a.html
Old 09-18-2016, 02:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks! two more hours to kill at work so I will be reading up! and I am now on hour 35 and 1/2!! It's a little silly how proud of myself I am. It has been a LONG LONG journey. Oh dear, I'm tearing up!
Old 09-18-2016, 02:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Catch 22

Sometimes you just have to grin and bear it. There is some redemption in suffering.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lifeandhope View Post
thanks! Two more hours to kill at work so i will be reading up! And i am now on hour 35 and 1/2!! It's a little silly how proud of myself i am. It has been a long long journey. Oh dear, i'm tearing up!
It is not silly!!
Old 09-18-2016, 02:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lifeandhope View Post
it's funny how many times i can remember my self saying
"well, this was a non-day, i'll make something count tomorrow'
I never did of course. But now it seams possible.
I am very much looking forward to my next paycheck. I wont have to cringe at my alcohol allotment! I'll put that away for something nice! or waste it on movies or something

Side Note: is there an etiquette page here. I have been reading other's posts but I don't want to be rude butting in if that's not how it works.

Thanks!
You can absolutely respond to other people and post in their threads to support them, ask questions or whatever Lifeandhope

D
Old 09-18-2016, 04:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you well done on today Lifenhope