Notices

Great quote as to why a plan is so important

Old 08-29-2016, 06:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Great quote as to why a plan is so important

We solemnly promise ourselves we are done. We stay sober. Then........the craving hits. We walk away from here and from anything else that we've done to support ourselves (if anything) to remain sober.

You'll see a lot of posts here on how important it is to have a plan in place. Ahead of time. This morning I saw a perfect quote that speaks directly to this point.

"If you fail to prepare, you're prepared to fail." Mark Spitz

Nothing could be further from the truth. Don't wait for the craving to occur, know ahead of time what your course of action is and no matter what your brain is telling you, FOLLOW IT.

It's the only way you're going to succeed. No excuses.

You CAN do this, you really can.

What is your plan?
Old 08-29-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very true LB!! Sometimes those we can be sailing along in sobriety and cravings hit and BAM. Day one... Again... BTDT many times. One thing I've learned is that cravings WILL hit. They will. We don't always know why or when. But if we KNOW they're coming we can prepare to deal with them.

I mistakenly thought early on in sobriety - ok I am DONE! And I MEANT it until.... the cravings hit and yet another day one. It took me a while to figure this out. Heck, I had a whole separate thread on cravings alone with a ton of good info in it. Even after that I STILL had another day one.

Thank you for this reminder. Keeping sobriety is tough stuff. If it weren't, we all wouldn't be here. We would all get it right on the first attempt.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

That line should not have been "Nothing could be further from the truth".

I meant to say "truer words could not be spoken when it comes to a plan".

Tis' Monday.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What is your plan?

ive been sober a few years now, but early on, and even today, I keep in mind that
in the amount of time it takes a drink to get from my lips to my stomach
my past will become my future.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

my plan in the beginning was AA meetings getting a sponser and attending group therapy for 4 days a week it didn't solve the cravings initially so acceptance & sheer willpower got me through the early days things like journalling through a craving really helped as did phoning my sponser or another trusted friend

My plan today is pretty simple as it was in the beginning except I've built upon it I accept that I can't drink safely socially or responsibly & I now come to SR as my main source of sobriety & I just want to thank you for your rousing thread

PS I also love reading that has helped heaps reading up on recovery & embracing my spiritual side

Playing the tape through cravings is a big tip

I didn't know about SR until I left AA after 14 months this place has made me better in so many aspects of my life & continues to do so