Notices

AA Meeting topic..the patient monster...

Old 08-28-2016, 02:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

AA Meeting topic..the patient monster...

The moons lined up and I found time to hit a 5 pm meeting. I usually go a 11 am because of my work schedule.

About 15 people, only recognized 2.

Different format. Newcomers are a focus.

This meeting had more folks w relapse recently. They talked

Hearing all the stories was mostly compeling. Suicide was talked about a few times.

It is terrifying how some alcoholic relapsers get into a suicidal direction. Some drink themselves into a black out and do it....like Robin Williams.

My prayer is that i will alway roll the tape. I am not physically dependant any more.
I have been educated now on many of the facets of my addiction.

Still don't have a sponser to help me. I am looking. I don't want to pick just anyone. I am not resistant to AA. I will do whatever it takes to stay sober.

This booze problem is a monster.

One guy said it like this....the booze monster is patient.

He said it is like an enemy in waiting. He said it is not getting weaker either. It is staying strong....and just waiting.

Totally related to that. That is why we must never pick up again.

Since i don't talk much at meetings, i really appreciate this place to journal my thoughts about my addiction.

Thanks for the chance to post.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

In my experience, working the steps on a daily basis changes all that. I wouldn't know if the monster is getting stronger or not as it has been removed and no longer has any influence in my life. It no longer exists. Instead I have been placed in a position of neutrality, safe and protected.

The AA deal is about freedom from alcohol, complete freedom.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I like that analogy of the patient monster; however, I agree with Gottalife. Drinking as the problem has been removed from my life. Getting deeper into my AA program and my spiritual journey (I do a LOT of work on that) keep me in the solution, not the problem.

Listening to the "monster" is listening to the AV. It has nothing but nightmares and scary stories to tell, about the past and the future. Today, on the other hand, can be a fairytale of reality.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

yep a monster

that iconic celebrity relapsed after many years

a serious and fatal disease

humbling

Old 08-28-2016, 12:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cunning, baffling, powerful. Without help too much for us. One who has all power, God. We don't struggle in a position of neutrality, problem doesn't exist, staying in fit spiritual condition. I refuse to live in fear, feeding it...like drinking, not an option.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Alcohol has a lifetime to wait for our one moment of weakness. This is why a work an active program of recovery every single day so I will never have that moment of weakness
Old 08-28-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Work in Progress

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
The moons lined up and I found time to hit a 5 pm meeting. I usually go a 11 am because of my work schedule.

About 15 people, only recognized 2.

Different format. Newcomers are a focus.

This meeting had more folks w relapse recently. They talked

Hearing all the stories was mostly compeling. Suicide was talked about a few times.

It is terrifying how some alcoholic relapsers get into a suicidal direction. Some drink themselves into a black out and do it....like Robin Williams.

My prayer is that i will alway roll the tape. I am not physically dependant any more.
I have been educated now on many of the facets of my addiction.

Still don't have a sponser to help me. I am looking. I don't want to pick just anyone. I am not resistant to AA. I will do whatever it takes to stay sober.

This booze problem is a monster.

One guy said it like this....the booze monster is patient.

He said it is like an enemy in waiting. He said it is not getting weaker either. It is staying strong....and just waiting.

Totally related to that. That is why we must never pick up again.

Since i don't talk much at meetings, i really appreciate this place to journal my thoughts about my addiction.

Thanks for the chance to post.
I'm the same. It's hard for me to speak and go up to people because of my social anxiety. Hopefully it will get better for both of us!