Notices

Sounds a bit like original sin

Old 08-19-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Darwinia, my usual disclaimer, I support anyone's right to choose any program to remain sober and be in recovery as long as it's working and they're happy about it.

My last time getting sober I got to that 4th step and had a lot of the same thoughts you're having right now and walked away. I am a good person, I give of myself, I don't have many enemies, the list goes on. That was me back then.

I've been in counseling on and off throughout my life. When I got sober on May 9th of this year I committed myself to do the steps no matter what thoughts were entering my brain.

So far, the step work that I've done has done far more for me than any amount of counseling that I ever took part in. I can't stress that enough. Will the same be true for you? I can't answer that.

The only thing I can say is that it's worth a shot. Why are you discussing shortcomings if you haven't even started step 4 yet? Right now you are looking at a puzzle laying in front of you on the table and you're trying to see what the picture is before you've even started. There's a reason that the steps are in the order that they are. You just have to trust.

I am just getting past turnarounds in the 4th step and I've never felt so free from all the crap in my life. I'm learning a lot about myself. I'm living a far better life than I ever have.

Again, I can't say you will end up with the same. Just offering the peace that I've found by just doing it rather than questioning.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Catch 22

Thank you for some valuable posts here. I believe that asking this question is part of an honest search for permanent recovery and a basis that will work for me. Surely that is why we all are here. To remain sober and in recovery.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Honesty is a good thing.

I smile when I see your posts on the steps. I see a lot of myself in them.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:01 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The steps are a suggested program of recovery.... They are not required. If you don't want to do the 4th step don't do it. personally I spent alot of time trying to find out the reason I drank, the reasons I behaved poorly, examining who I hurt and all that. What I really needed to do was first just stop drinking and never start again. After being sober a spell I could work on being a better human. But I needed to put the drink down first.