Notices

So Much Pain.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Hey Rah Rah -
Hope you are feeling better today.
It's a new day and full of wonderful possibilities!
Old 08-15-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rahrah View Post
WOW...sometimes you hear that one random thing that does it! And what you said....that's so helpful!

If I can look at all those years as a 'lesson', one giant lesson...perhaps then when that 'lesson' gets to be too painful with it's ceaseless reminders.. I can simply stop and say...."thanks 'lesson'...,I've had enough for today...I got this from here".

My brain needs to either 'over simplify' things or make them 'unfathomably complex'! I think your most excellent, yet simple piece of council is going to help me quite a bit! Thank you!
This is indeed excellent. My sponsor and I talked about just this yesterday- some things must be dealt with (faced) then put in an appropriate "compartment." They aren't gone- they did happen, were very real actions/decisions/etc, and cost us- but we have paid the price and can move on once we have honestly faced them. We are not meant to live in pain (note, in my first post, I said this is hard sometimes, not painful - good distinction there, Dee) and recovery is said (per the BB) to bring us a new freedom we have never had before.

Keep putting the devil in its place and its power continues to lessen. Like a heartbreak, our past evils will go to their proper place - in our history, not our present and our future.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I see pretty much all my drinking, my mother's drinking when
I was a child before that, as catalyst--an opportunity to grow and learn.

There is pain in many steps of the process, and I also had acute pain
"owning" my part when I first got sober--the waste of myself, the harm I caused.
To fully "feel" and let go of it has been a cyclical process for me.
Quite a bit in the beginning, backing off, and as I learn and grow,
going around again but "deeper" and letting go of older hurts, not all of which I caused.

Be patient, kind, and cultivate love for yourself as you go.
Self-love is something we drinkers are often quite short of,
yet it is essential to healing ourselves and really being able to love others
in a healthy way.

You are doing great work rahrah
Old 08-15-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

A hero of mine, the beloved Maya Angelou said it best 'I did then what I knew how to do. Now I know better, I do better'. So simple, yet so profound.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
A hero of mine, the beloved Maya Angelou said it best 'I did then what I knew how to do. Now I know better, I do better'. So simple, yet so profound.
I Love this lady , listened to some of her talks just last week and was moved .
Old 08-16-2016, 06:22 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Recoverer of Self

Thank you to all for the support...it helps to know I'm not the only one who has experienced the pain/grief or the only one who believes it to be cathartic (as long as it is processed for progress rather than wallowed in).
Old 08-16-2016, 08:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leviathan View Post
I understand these regrets very well. They almost buried me. At some point I realized I had payed my dues in the guilt department and that the only way to prove I had learned anything was to build a new life that was not a waste.

I try to look at it from different angles when it creeps back in. I tell it "you've already taught your lesson. I learned. Back off."

I remind myself I'm one of the LUCKY ones and I now have a responsibility to serve as an example that we can change directions and lead positive fulfilling lives in recovery.

I am also learning to look back at my younger, more foolish self with some compassion. I really wasn't having near as much fun as I would have told you. I really was lost and it unfortunately happens to smart, well-meaning people all the time.

The more kindness I can treat myself with, the more I can pass on. -a fact.

I can really relate to what you're feeling, rahrah. We'll get through, Im sure.

Delfin