Notices

thinking about moving

Old 08-10-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

thinking about moving

Not now of course but in a year to a year in a half so I can save some money for it,I'm barely sober after another relapse and I really feel like my job,environment is a contributing factor in why I relapse,I've had decent stretches of sobriety but I just can't get past this feeling of being overwhelmed by where I live,Las Vegas,the people, the weather, the memories, etc,its like every weekend when we drive to another part of town a bad memory is triggered causing me distress,plus having to pull myself up by the bootstraps daily to go to a salon I hate,custumors who are rude,I've thought of changing jobs but I can do a different job in a safer place, is,working at a gas station, Walmart, I'm done doing haircutting unless however I am in a different place any input?
Old 08-10-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Oh man, I think anyone could be triggered living in Vegas!
Old 08-10-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ya i think its just the atmosphere living in vegas. I always wanted to visit but i dont think i would ever want to live there. I would love to move out of my city to theres some nice parts but ive lived here my whole life and i am just sick of it. I would love to move somewhere different. It would seem like a fresh start a whole new life. This really has me thinking it would be great to save enough money move away into a house somewhere new in a good area with great schools for my son.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm thinking the same as you are, I have a 3 year old grandson and I do not want him raised here! I raised my kids here thinking they'd be ok and for the most part they are ok buthave dealt with substance abuse, my daughter recalled seeing her classmate behind the school smoking weed in 5th grade😠 not blaming the city by any means but other parents here work odd hours and can't really be there you know? My kids have dabbled in it too,I know its because I was living in Utah before I moved here for hubs' job and after 2 years at 32 fell into alcohol abuse a year after starting at the same salon I'm at now,I'm researching renewing or transferring my.license right now
Old 08-10-2016, 05:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi winslow

I get the job thing and living in Vegas. If you think change will help that's your call. You still have a year or so to work on things tho

The opposite side of the coin is I got sober in the same house where I had my worst excesses.

I also stayed a drunk through 3 or 4 previous house moves.

My point is if we do it right and develop those sober muscles, we could stay sober anywhere - even living in a brewery

Just my .02.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You have every right to move if you hate where you are. But someone posted today about a recent move they made. Love where they are, love the new stress free job, totally happy with the relocation.

But the person still drinks.

There's a saying, "No matter where you go, there you are." Do you see how that could apply to drinking?
Old 08-10-2016, 07:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I appreciate everything everyone has said,I'm not blaming the city, my choice is only mine to make as regards to drinking, however my family hate this place, I'm starting to really hate it here,I.can only be me,this place is toxic, every inch, my hubs and kids even say.,.I'm over it
Old 08-10-2016, 09:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

Have you been to AA? This very thing is laid out in the Big Book. Moving won't fix your problem if your an alcoholic. Good luck though if that's the route you go.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
Not now of course but in a year to a year in a half so I can save some money for it,I'm barely sober after another relapse and I really feel like my job,environment is a contributing factor in why I relapse,I've had decent stretches of sobriety but I just can't get past this feeling of being overwhelmed by where I live,Las Vegas,the people, the weather, the memories, etc,its like every weekend when we drive to another part of town a bad memory is triggered causing me distress,plus having to pull myself up by the bootstraps daily to go to a salon I hate,custumors who are rude,I've thought of changing jobs but I can do a different job in a safer place, is,working at a gas station, Walmart, I'm done doing haircutting unless however I am in a different place any input?
It is sometimes recommended by some CD counselors that an addict change cities...NOT to "run away" but because they've tried so many times to stay sober and keep running up against people and places that are triggers. One example I can think of is a teenager being treated who was from Alaska. And I've never been to Alaska but have heard from good sources that drug abuse is very high per capita. But in this particular case, the peer pressure element was a big issue. Factor in less sunlight affecting serotonin levels and there you have it; for anyone PRONE ... I honestly haven't researched how EFFECTIVE changing locations is as far as success rates, etc.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

I like Ds advice