Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Other people are busy getting along with their lives, whilst I drink

Notices

Other people are busy getting along with their lives, whilst I drink

Old 08-09-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Do your best

So is today a day 1 ? if it is congrats but don't keep walking down a dead end road trust me look at all of us saying it 'our lives got better when we stopped drinking & put in the work to recover'

Your choice but I swear it's worth it if I was getting a bad deal outta sobriety do you think I'd stay sober would all the rest ?

Rooting for you M
Old 08-09-2016, 10:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Prinzessin, the relationship side of things is also a worry. Atm iam currently entering a new relationship. And she only drinks socially once a week, two or 3 wines. And obviously she doesn't know the root of my alcohoI problem. Though I have touched based with her and told her openly from the start that iam noticing a dependency to alcohol and iam learning to control. She laughed it off and said I will be fine (not believing what I know about myself) and we left the conversation at that.

Now I know ppl will say that I shouldn't date until I am in top of this etc , but let's be realistic. God knows when I will be on top of it, and we all gotta live.

Iam actually embarrassed to always be hinting for a drink , after dinner, after a night out, after our movie.
My last relationship was with an alcoholic. We drank ourselves silly every night, I ended it because our passion was drinking . I was constantly worried about our problem, but she was fine with her drinking problem and didn't want to slow or stop.

But yes Soberwolf , btw thanks for always replying to my posts . Day 1 has passed. I will definitely report back with a day count.I In the future . I don't want to have another whiny post, but sometimes they are needed.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:28 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Recommit to Sobriety and make a point of tackling that 1 Month milestone with an enhanced plan.

You can do this, there is nothing to loose but everything to gain!!
Old 08-09-2016, 12:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

so you are entering into a new relationship by LYING about who you really are...........so that you can maintain your other PRIMARY relationship, to whom you are ever faithful, ALCOHOL.

you said you've had short stints of sobriety....a week or two, a month once....and you probably sat there expecting everything to be ALL BETTER.

sobriety, hell LIFE, doesn't work that way. WE have to do the hard work, WE have to be the change agents in our lives, WE have to let go of all our EXCUSES to sit and do nothing but drink if we want to have that kind of life we keep hoping will just show up on our doorstep.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Originally Posted by Madruski View Post
Berry, iam coming to the conclusion that there is no inbetween. I either drink for life or I don't.
Option 2 sounds alot more appealing
All or nothing thinking is detrimental. Success at anything in life requires the grey in between the shades of black and white. Do you really believe that it is one or the other?
Old 08-09-2016, 01:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lightning Bug View Post
All or nothing thinking is detrimental. Success at anything in life requires the grey in between the shades of black and white. Do you really believe that it is one or the other?
With alcohol and alcoholics it does tend to be all or nothing LB. What are you suggesting? Further attempts at moderation?
Old 08-09-2016, 01:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
With alcohol and alcoholics it does tend to be all or nothing LB. What are you suggesting? Further attempts at moderating?
Me suggest moderation? Never. He is saying that he either drinks or never drinks again. But if he gives up now then the grey area of "tried" will never happen again.

I admit my point sounded better in my head! Lol.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:40 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Madruski View Post
I am aware that I have posted before about this, but i dont see it as negative, I see it as a good reflection to see where iam currently at.

I know it's not nice to hear complaining, but I don't complain or vent in person so this place let's me do that.

And unfortunately I am still at the same place, also unfortunately iam getting older but not wiser .Action is needed. But I do actually see myself living a sober life. I do believe in myself because regardless of my alcohoI issue,

I have achieved some challenging life goals that I set myself that at one point seemed unreachable. Persistence is key.
I don't think anyone was suggesting that it was negative for you to post again on the same thing, or that your post itself was negative - it was simply that you've gotten good advice on previous occasions so it might be good to revisit those threads again.

I thought I was destined to drink too - 'you'd drink too, if you had a life like me...' - but it turns out that was wrong.

What I was really destined for was to get sober

You're 25 - you have every chance of pulling out of this dive with little or no lasting ill effects and living a long and happy life

I was 40 when I quit - those 15 years from 25-40 lasted a century and I lost many things dear to me - jobs, relationships, my self respect, and my health.

You have a chance to be smarter than me and pick the wiser road.
Think of it not as losing your old life but gaining a new - vastly better - one.

A good recovery plan is a great first step?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 08-10-2016, 10:31 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Anvillhead- I think you missed me saying that I told her right from the start, and in fact I have told her a few times, but as a non alcoholic she does not understand . And iam not gonna start convincing her.

She tells me "you count days? Its like you think you are an alcoholic" 😂 I just say " we all have our methods"

I'll let time do that, and let her be the judge. I mean iam not a lost for life drunk, iam still a responsible non violent reliable person. But just have a tendency to drink alot.

Dee - thanks again for the reply, it's good to come here to just discuss everything.

Moderate drinking doesn't work for me , otherwise I wouldnt be an alcoholic. I'd say most would agree with that.