Notices

Has anyone used Naltrexone?

Old 07-28-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has anyone used Naltrexone?

A friend of mine has suggested I look into taking Naltexone, a drug that suppresses the desire to drink. I have done some research on the drug (non-addictive and can be stopped at any time), and it seems to have good reviews. Before thinking about this seriously I wondered if anyone on this sight has tried it or has knowledge of it.

I have no past drug use history - only alcohol , if that helps.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was prescribed this and took it for one month. I don't know if it did anything. I drank on it occasionally. I think I read that most people that drink on it don't drink as much as they normally would.... I suppose that is true for me, but I really don't think it had anything to do with the drug. I don't really have much to say about it... I have tried many different drugs for my "alcoholism" and don't feel like any of them did anything, personally.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I did, and didn't find it very effective.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I took the pill form for a few months and it helped quite a bit with cravings. It seemed to stop working after a while though and I eventually stopped taking it.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WiggleIn View Post
I was prescribed this and took it for one month. I don't know if it did anything. I drank on it occasionally. I think I read that most people that drink on it don't drink as much as they normally would.... I suppose that is true for me, but I really don't think it had anything to do with the drug.
My experience was similar. I didn't find it that beneficial; caveat, I wasn't really wanting to quit.

On the other hand, I still take Campral. It is an anti-craving med and it is just part of my routine - I have remarked often that I just don't crave alcohol (thank God) and am just now thinking about maybe THAT has been a big part of why! Also, for the first 90 days I took Antabuse. I had misused it in the past (drinking while on it, skipping doses - not a good idea at all) and this time, it was also just part of my routine. I think the mental barrier, when you are ready for it, along with the physical one, makes either/both work well for those who take them correctly.

If you have a good dr, discuss (or find a good dr!). Always the key.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

I did try it, and it did seem to "quit" working for me....that being said, I wasn't ready to quit, either. This time around I am taking Campral and it is working, however I also work a solid program in recovery with it. I do know of people who said Naltrexone worked for them, so try it and if it doesn't work for you just know there are other options. I'm with August252015 on this one, the mental and physical barriers have to be ready for sobriety for anything to work.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone for the input. I think I will discuss it with my Dr.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I took it a couple years back and drank right through it! But your mileage may vary...
Old 08-01-2016, 10:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey there, PM me and I'll provide some additional info. I'm not allowed to message you because I'm new and don't have 5 posts yet.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was on Campral for a while and it did help. I also wasn't in the right mental state though. I think once you get to a final point- this is it- it could help enormously. I finally got to that point when I went to rehab but had a lot of near misses prior to rehab and yes, Campral did take the edge off of cravings. I think it would be a good tool (that or naltrexone) as long as you have other tool in your tool box and back up support. It is NOT a magic pill by any means.