Notices

Well I'm back..... Hi!

Old 07-25-2016, 05:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi! I'm new (again) *waves*

So I'm new under this screen-name but I was here a few years ago and did over a year of recovery, but have been relapsing since then. I was asking for something in my life to help change me, and I got it in the form of a not so welcome apartment inspection. To their credit it was a mess (beer cans and boxes of cases everywhere). But they were nice enough to give me two weeks to clean up (which I did, they are coming tomorrow, I'm a little nervous about the inspection but it looks like I just moved in). The best part is that after having to clean up all of that mess and being so angry at myself for letting myself get that way, I never want to drink again. I was at a place where I didn't invite friends over because of my drinking, and while at the time it sounds like a wonderful idea to an alcoholic, no one should live their life that way at least I can't. So one day in now, every day is a new day. This is the first night I'm facing the "boredom" from not bring drunk, but I'm just doing what I otherwise would just having some water. I asked my friend who is very active in volunteering when I can help her out, so I am hoping to get involved with her to keep me busy. And I'll be interacting with each of you to keep me busy too. So it will all work out. Well thank you for reading and Hello! *waves* Excited to take this lifelong journey with all of you
Old 07-25-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome (back) ExDrinkingClub

I really recommend everyone read this link. A recovery plan - something I see as a little more than doing activities or alleviating boredom - is vital

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 07-25-2016, 06:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi & Welcome Back ExDrinkingCub
Old 07-25-2016, 07:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome back!
Old 07-25-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Exdrink,

Welcome back.

Being clean for a year is amazing.

They say it gets harder and harder to quit each time.

I started and stopped several times in my life and this last one, 14 months ago, was horrendous. I was freaking out.

Booze is a serious drug after a while.

Stay clean.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I merged your two threads here Ex

D
Old 07-26-2016, 01:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome (back) ExDrinkingClub

I really recommend everyone read this link. A recovery plan - something I see as a little more than doing activities or alleviating boredom - is vital

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
This is golden advice bud
Old 07-26-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the welcome back wishes. I'll look at making a plan tonight. Day 2 now and the sober sleep last night was not so pleasant. My anxiety was really getting the best of me laughing at the idea that I would try to go to bed sober. I eventually did manage to get some sleep. Still probably more than I would have drinking. But it was great to wake up this morning and start a work day sober. I was even in the office early!
Old 07-26-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Originally Posted by ExDrinkingCub View Post
Thanks everyone for the welcome back wishes. I'll look at making a plan tonight. Day 2 now and the sober sleep last night was not so pleasant. My anxiety was really getting the best of me laughing at the idea that I would try to go to bed sober. I eventually did manage to get some sleep. Still probably more than I would have drinking. But it was great to wake up this morning and start a work day sober. I was even in the office early!
1 hour of sober sleep is better then 12 drunken hours of sleep....rest easier knowing that...

I slept poorly for weeks, but waking up sober is one of the best things about being alcohol free...
Old 07-26-2016, 01:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks D122. I'm used to just passing out and not sleeping like a normal person. Do you have any tips for what worked for you? The quiet seems to bother my anxiety letting my brain run wild. Before I started drinking I did not need the TV or radio to fall asleep but maybe I should try it
Old 07-26-2016, 10:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
now's the time

Exercise helped me the most reliably. The first month is pretty hard for sleep... your brain chemicals are all out of whack. At least that was the case for me. But an hour or two of strenuous, fast paced yoga worked wonders for me. Barring that, cardio was also helpful if not quite as much.

Congratulations on your new start!!
Old 07-26-2016, 11:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome back.

Glad the apartment is done now. I bet it feels much better being there now. I remember how grotty my place used to get when I was active in my drinking, and the occasional mad panic when the landlord announced an inspection. He did once come over and just saw the garden (for an emergency as the neighbours had called him - they were his tenants as well). He was very shocked how bad that'd got, but was quite reasonable about it, but firm that it needed sorting, I was just SO relieved he'd not seen the inside of the house!!

Try not to worry overly. You've done what you can for now. If there are little bits they want more attention to they'll just say. If they wanted to evict you they'd have already gone down that route when it was at its worst.

Glad your back and determined to extract yourself from the unmanageability of active alcoholism.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Exdr,

I use breathing techniques to fall asleep. 478 is may favorite.

I sleep between 5 to 7 hours a night now. I really fight for my sleep by giving myself 8 hours in bed to get the 5 to 7.

In time my mind has settled down and sleep comes naturally.

The longer Ive tayed sober the more normal everything has become.

It takes months. Every day is easier and better.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Try this Ex

https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-to...thy-sleep-tips

Relaxation Techniques Home| UMMC Midtown Campus

Plus if you suffer from restless leg syndrome try drinking some Indian tonic water I drink the diet version as its no carbs bit of a horrible taste but does the job

Props to Dee74 for this advice & the relaxation link I'm bookmarking that just had trouble finding it

Old 07-27-2016, 05:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! You are right it feels so much better just to have a clean place and not have to worry about anything anymore. And now that I won't be a drunken pig mess about life it shouldn't be too hard to maintain! On to day three and things are looking up! Anxiety is still a beast but it's better than it was when I woke up hungover. Ready for another work day with the clear head. You are all so right 1 hour of sober sleep is better than any drunk. Love you guys!
Old 07-27-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome back.
It gets better as long as you don't drink!
Old 07-27-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome back!!!
Old 07-27-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks! I got the news that I passed the apartment inspection so all is well. What a relief off my shoulders. Ironically my addiction thought I should get a few drinks and celebrate but unfortunately for the addiction that's not going to happen. That's the stupidest idea ever. Sure let's drunk after I almost got kicked out of my place for it....what an amazing plan (eyeroll) day 3 was good. Super busy at work. Met a friend for dinner instead of blowing them off. Now hope to just relax and job search a little. Maybe watch the convention and then give myself eight hours of time in bed to try and sleep (good idea) thanks everyone!
Old 07-28-2016, 12:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Glad your inspection went well.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Day 4 in the books! Had some cravings today while I was stressed at work. But I used the metaphor I found here about "riding the waves" and it seemed to help. Just needed to refocus my brain a little. Sleep is still iffy and when it happens it comes with nightmares which wake me up frequently, but I'm sure that will improve.

Sobriety plan is coming along and I hope some of these don't sound silly to you, but they keep me busy and I'm not so worried about being alone and bored at home.

Short term (everyday)
- one item of housework. Laundry, pick up a room, run the dishwasher, or reorganize from the cluster of last week
- reading, whether it be here for a while, a book on the couch, or hopefully I'm going to join a Bible study here soon which will give me some "homework" to be accountable for
- job search - at least apply for jobs and hopefully get some interviews, build some self confidence and escape my lion of a boss
- make or at least eat dinner (I used to just drink it)
- enjoy a cumulative drama TV series where I can finally remember what happened last episode
- shower and sleep IN BED (not on the couch in front of the TV like we used to)
- pray: for myself, my friends and family, for the world: give thanks

- if cravings hit - read an article on SR, talk or text a friend about anything, reset and refocus

Short and Long Term
- invite friends over - keeps me accountable for keeping my place respectable, and not having alcohol
- have plans to do something external a few nights a week. See a friend, volunteer, go to a movie (if even alone) to get me out of the apartment
- consider going back to school if even just one class at a time (between attending lectures and being responsible, I get to learn something to)

As for the rest of the week, this is my last night here alone. Off to visit my immediate family this weekend where drinking was never an issue, just enjoy spending quality time. Literally live, laugh, and love.

Thanks again for all of your support everyone, I read a ton of messages all over the board and even though I don't respond I'm reading, listening, relating, learning, and taking this journey with you. We are not alone when we are together!