Notices

90 days but still a mess

Old 07-14-2016, 10:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

90 days but still a mess

Hello everyone, while I thought I had not hit rock bottom, the last time I might have. I am getting my annual physical next week. So, its been 90 days but:
1. Night sweats are still present. I though they'd be all gone by now. Of course, they are much better but still bother me. Anyone, when did those disappear?
2. My body is itchy all over and that worries me, I thought 90 days should have been over.
3. My scalp was dry back in the day and now my hair gets oily in less than 2 days.

Brain fog, ridiculous anger, depression, inability to focus all present. Thoughts about going back to "controlled 1 drink a night 2/3 nights a week with the idea that red wine is best", which as we know cannot even be the case, and yes, I am aware of that. Binge sweets post, now trying to get them under control, so doing dark chocolate. Hair is falling like crazy and nails still bad (no + change). Weight loss is 0. Trying to move more, walk and gym. Walking non everyday is ok, gym was a disaster with a trainer and did not go back but will soon. Skin issues on and off but nothing too crazy although have warts that are not going away. Female infections were severe, both BV and yeast, after some crazy natural treatments and regular meds as of today its not as bad, but those come back so we never know.

The good: facial skin is better, body odor a bit better, a bit less bloated and a slight improvement with the stomach, but this is all. I expected more. Granted, I was not in too bad of a shape (post 8pm start, bottle to 2 wine), although at the last withdrawal I was freaking out that I may die at night and a good week was bad.

I am looking fwd to the annual physical and will let you know what the results will reveal. What worries me:
Scenario 1 (happened last time) - Liver check was in line, so no problem, continue prior behavior and encourage abuse.
Scenario 2 - things are bad. Have no liver pain, but spleen pain is present.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

do not drink man, your body and mind are slowly healing, do not romanticize the booze or think to drink in order to alleviate your symptoms, the discomfort is part of the healing process. Your body might be really itchy due to dehydration, have you been drinking enough water?

You will hate yourself if you throw away 3 months of sobriety, and you will hate the fact you will have to start back at day 1, and usually a relapse is enough to demoralize you from quitting again, for a while at least. I can tell you from personal experience, the mental discomfort is part of the healing process.

quitting a poison will only benefit you, there is no downside to quitting drinking. Period.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you're reaching out and sharing with us. Really well done on your progress so far.

In terms of your physical state, are you eating properly and doing exercise? Do you keep a food diary to make sure you are eating five portions of fruit and vegetables every day and not too much sugar, fat and caffeine? That will help your body to recover. Also, it sounds like you only went to the gym one time and then quit. It's not going have an impact unless you make it part of your routine.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Everyone is different but going back to drinking is not the answer. I don't remember exactly when night sweats stopped but the nightmares are still present and I'm a lil over a year sober. Everything your going through, including the brain fog, I went through. It does get better, I promise
Old 07-15-2016, 02:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Things will keep improving congratulations on 90 days

Have you seen a Dr recently ?
Old 07-15-2016, 05:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job on 90 days!

And, here's the thing - every body (I mean that separation in words) is different. It took me longer than 90 days for most symptoms to work their way through my body; I was very sick. Have you learned or read about PAWS? This is a great article -
https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/

I am nearing 5 mos. I struggled with sweets in a big way from about 70 days to 110. I am now running and have a much better handle on my sweet intake; otherwise my nutrition has been very good after the first five weeks of just getting myself to eat.

However much or long we were drinking, we did a lot of damage to our bodies. Facing whatever issues we have- by going to a dr- is scary but the best thing to do in order to know what we are dealing with. You WILL get better if you don't drink - it is hard to be patient, but I hear a lot of expectations and "I thought I would....[by now]" and that puts a lot of pressure on yourself. Staying sober is the most important thing- you are continuing to NOT put alcohol into your system.

Keep doing the right things- I almost always have a water bottle in hand or near by, I use sleep medicine (rx by dr) almost nightly, I do my recovery work....I want to live a healthy life and am gradually getting there. The choices I make in all areas are towards that end- doesn't mean I don't eat fries, get cranky or pissed off, have a bad night's sleep or whatever....but it has become more of the "normal ughs" of life than the terrible way I felt when drinking, or the getting through detox and all the bad symptoms.

Good luck!
Old 07-15-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang in there! It takes quite a while for the body to heal. One thought for you is to see the doctot now for concerning symptoms rather than wait for a physical. Medical advice sooner would be best for a couple of those things you mention. And btw, congrats on 3 months sober! You've done the really hard days, and now settle in for the long haul, which hopefully will be a smoother ride!
Old 07-15-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're seeing your doctor. Some of those symptoms could be something other than drinking related. The hair, skin and weight thing happened to me and I found I had thyroid issues. Not a big deal, easily treatable, and I wasn't drinking at the time (it was 25 years ago.)

I don't know how old you are, but mid-life issues might be in play for you as well. Pre menopause was confusing in mind and body for me.

Stay on the beam. Drinking again will make everything far far worse. All the rest of it is going to be okay with time. The emotional stuff was tough for me, too. It evened out with work on my issues and time. I didn't really feel like my old self until about the year mark - but things were getting better little by little all through that year. I posted a lot on this site and went to meetings every day for a few months, but there is always therapy or reading self-help or spiritual books - there is a way to peace and happiness for you; there is for all of us.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Man, I feel like I could have written your post. I'm only at 48 days but the anxiety, brain fog, agitation, depression, etc. are all VERY present. I'm working out regularly, eating well, drinking tons of water, taking medication and seeing a therapist, but it hardly seems to be putting a dent in this monster. I think I've really been this way for years now but the drinking and drugging just masked things, to some extent, which is why I probably felt so utterly compelled to constantly self medicate. It was like I was walking on a tightrope and the booze and pills were the only things keeping me (somewhat) balanced and walking. A very desperate situation, for sure.

I really, really hope that you begin to see some improvement here in the next few days/weeks, because if I'm still feeling this overwhelmed by 90 days I'm not sure what I'm going to do. But, for now, let's soldier on!
Old 07-15-2016, 09:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Catch 22

From "The Wire"...I feel you man. I am 61 days and battling. Crave sweets where before I did not. Hate social occasions. Yet, yet, I do feel emotionally more balanced and somehow this knowledge deep down that everything is better.