Notices

Criminally-Ineligible for LIFE

Old 07-15-2016, 03:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
This is news to me and I live in a border state with Canada. Do you need to show a license if you take a train in? Would a passport work?
I am only assuming but if you have to go through customs that's where the issue will occur. If you're on a plane or a train and aren't deboarding and just continuing on somewhere else it may not be an issue.

I certainly wouldn't leave it to chance. We vacationed last year in Buffalo and were going to go to Niagara Falls but our friends said it was better to go to the Canadian side. We were looking into getting passports and maybe going next year. I guess that's off.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear of you being banned. They take DUI's pretty seriously up here. Its usually an automatic 12 month license suspension for your first offence. On the other hand, the legal drinking age here is 19, while I believe in the US, it is 21.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
FreeOwl, first, great attitude. No way around it, only through it. This too shall pass but not without a PITA to go through.

I did check, couchloc, the US does not judge apparently. Having a DUI will not stop you from entering.

Here's a good one for you. I had mentioned that my DUI is very freakish. It's continuing to get more freakish as time passes. I may never end up being charged with anything at all in court. However, due to it being on my driving record I still will go through the same. How is that fair? What happened to innocent until proven guilty? I can't even tell you my story and who knows when I will be able to. It's all a waiting game. However, since I refused the test I am suspended for 6 months and then get a provisional license for three months for work then get my full license back.

Thankfully, I will never have to deal with this again but to know that for the next 10 years it could be a crap shoot trying to enter, they may let me in, they may not, is a bit unsettling. This means that I will almost be retired before I'm free and clear. That's an unnerving thought.

Oh well, I'm alive and I am sober for good. That's the big positive.

Yes, if its on your DMV record that's all that matters. My DUI (had 2, only charged with one) was actually removed from my criminal record. My DUI attorney told me that I'd need a letter from the consulate to enter Canada for 10 years following the time it was marked on my DMV record. I think as we move toward de-criminalizing a lot of addiction related crime and move instead toward treatment, so will Canada. Eventually they WILL realize that often (not always) these crimes are secondary to addiction, which CAN be treated and overcome...and stigmatizing it is much like slapping around someone else with a mental/physical issue who is doing his/her best.

I guess George W. Bush, Dick Cheney...half of Hollywood films there and has DUI's...aren't welcome?

I don't think it is right. I take responsibility for the crime I committed. I did my time with the interlock device, IOP, probation, fines...the end result is mostly good. I know what I need to do to remain sober. I still have problems, but I'm guessing I'm less likely to drive drunk or commit a crime in Canada these days than many tourists they let in their country freely, or heck, their own citizens. Apologies in advance for rubbing anyone the wrong way. I think it is discrimination. I get it if it is a recent charge or you've done nothing to remedy the underlying issue.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm also in the criminally ineligible club. I wish there was some way they they would be more lenient if a court in the US could vouch for you, saying that you paid your fines, did your time (if any), took all the classes, etc. I would think after a certain amount of time, say, 5 years, even for more than one DUI, if you haven't re-offended, you could be let in. I know I'm never drinking and driving again, which, as Ponies said, is more than they can say for other tourists or their own citizens.

I'm not sure I will go through the "rehabilitation" process. There are lots of other places in the world to go.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Wait, so am I reading this correct that 1 DUI is 10 years no entry, 2 is never without jumping through hoops?

Wow.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I think with 1 there's a way to get in behappy but it's what I would refer to as ransom. It's called a temporary resident permit or something like that. It's $200 Canadian and non refundable. So you're essentially paying them off to cross the border.

Just like MLD I can think of many other places I'd rather go.