Notices

It took 10 years but wife finally had enuff!!!

Old 07-09-2016, 09:28 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

8-10 beers per day is quite a lot mate...compared to what normal drinkers have in a night. You seemed to indicate that you don't think it's a lot and that you're keeping your drinking under control but perhaps it's having a greater affect on you than you realize. Whatever chance you may think you have of reconciling shrinks with every sip you take
Old 07-09-2016, 09:43 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

"It's too late now. I've had about 15 beers today."

That sounds like it's progressing to me. It will only get worse. Stop today.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:32 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

Originally Posted by MB8 View Post
It's too late now. I've had about 15 beers today. Tomoro will have to be day 1. I'm so envious of those who get long term sobriety. I can get 1,2,5, even 9 months, but I always know I will drink eventually. I will pass a person drinking a beer, when I'm sober, and think wow I am really missing out. When sober, I actually wait for something really bad to happen because that is my excuse to drink. I know, it's awful. Especially when I have an amazing family. Thanks to all of u
You clearly have no interest in stopping. The pain isn't bad enough for you yet. When you get to the point it is go to a meeting and find someone there to help by letting them help you.

Actually, you mentioned you were in the military. I would have to believe you can get to a VA hospital and get some help there for free. That will help you get your mind clear and then meetings will help you from there.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:37 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
quat

mb8
Do you have a plan for today?
Old 07-10-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
MB8

Yes. I will not pick up. Going to church now to try and pray about it. First time to church since I can remember. Talked to my wife this morning. I think she has about had it but I won't give up. That old saying " you don't know what you got till its gone ". That couldn't be further from the truth. Thanks again to all for the support.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:53 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
quat

"I will not pick up" , that is a good plan , ultimately the best . its probably going to be rough, but definitely doable , so plan to revert to that first plan as many times as needed and stick to the plan.
Rootin for ya, and maybe look for a tattoo parlor near the church and have that inked on hand, just kidding, but you could use a sharpie and put it on your palm,
a slightly silly act, but an action toward sticking to the plan nonetheless and those are all good actions, the paln sticking to kind I mean.
I mentioned sticking to the plan , yeah ?
Old 07-10-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
quat

To add to the above and hopefully not to be taken melodramatically, but you could write your kid's names on your palms , to viualize/symbolize putting the beer between you and them , stick to the plan. Seriously, rooting for you .
Old 07-10-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

Yes. I will not pick up. Going to church now to try and pray about it. First time to church since I can remember. Talked to my wife this morning. I think she has about had it but I won't give up. That old saying " you don't know what you got till its gone ". That couldn't be further from the truth. Thanks again to all for the support.
Prayer without action will get you no where. You have yet to mention taking any sort of action. Saying you aren't going to drink is not an action. It's like having an ear infection and praying it will go away but you don't go to the doctor to get medicine. When you are truly ready to stop please go to and AA meeting and get the medicine you need to save your life.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:53 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Keep doing the next right thing. Not just today, but tomorrow and the next day and next December, too.

If I can do it, you can do it.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:04 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I guess it really doesn't matter at this point, but I'll throw my two cents in. Relationships and money don't factor into the equation of true addiction. They might be ancillary factors, but addiction at its core is pretty straight forward. You sound like a smart guy, I hope you'll figure it out in time. Its "cliche" but I came to the conclusion, its not worth it.
That's exactly how I felt about the alcholic in my life "she just wasn't worth it anymore"
Old 07-10-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
MB8

On my way to a meeting. After all these years I have finally hit rock bottom. Quite sure I've lost my family. I guess it doesn't matter the size of your house, the money you make, or the possessions you have. It just doesn't discriminate. Thnx for all the support.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Goodluck MB8 let us know how the meeting goes.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
MB8

Thnx so much.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

stay humble, stay willing.....
Old 07-10-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

MB - please check in later & let us know how you are. You can turn this around.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
MB8

Meeting was tough. I couldn't really relate to anyone. Some of the material hit home and helped. It was mostly younger kids talking about jail and drugs and I just can't relate to that. In no way am I looking down on anyone, I just can't relate. Glad I went though. Hopefully it's the first step to sobriety. Thank you.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

It sounds like those young people are on the verge of losing everything. You may have more in common with them than you think.

I'll defer to members of our community who are part of AA to offer counsel on meetings. One thing I do know from friends who are in AA is that they have kept going to different meetings until they find the ones where they're comfortable. Please don't make your "I just can't relate" reaction a reason not to seek help. I think you've already exhausted the reasons that you cannot seek help.

Life is hard when we hit the wall and realize we're alcoholics. There are a lot of us here to support you and remind you that we rebuilt our lives. You can rebuild your life, too, MB8. It's going to take time and effort, but you can do this.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
EndGame

Quite sure I've lost my family. I guess it doesn't matter the size of your house, the money you make, or the possessions you have.
Don't confuse the trappings of success with having led a successful life. Two very different things. The former only takes money, while the latter requires a level of integrity, sensitivity and awareness that terrifies many people who are outwardly successful. There are plenty of wealthy people in the world who've destroyed their own lives and made miserable the lives of others.

A big house, expensive clothes, an exceptional salary, country club membership, and a nice ride are much more important to the people who don't have them.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:43 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Maybe try a different meeting next time, MB? I'm glad you went too.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:58 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
It sounds like those young people are on the verge of losing everything. You may have more in common with them than you think.
Truth.

I had a chip on my shoulder the size of Alaska when I first started going to NA meetings. I had nothing in common with "those people"...except that I had everything in common with them where it counted. "Those people" saved my life.