Notices

My last attempt

Old 07-04-2016, 06:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you Hevyn. I have been reading here for months now. I find it very helpful. I tried to explain to my wife how powerful my AV is. How unbelievably persuasive it is. How it's always there chipping away at your determination. Convincing that for today one drink will be ok. I can tell she cannot understand . My friends here no exactly what I mean and I find strenght in that. I didn't drink today.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad your here & posting Matt. The people on this forum have been a huge source of encouragement & understanding. You are not alone in this!
Old 07-04-2016, 07:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
quat

Mattq2
"Either I drink or I don't " , I'm in that club too
Best thing I figured out was I Can choose 'don't' , and not only be ok with it or comfortable handling it ,but actually prefer it. My AV , different story that sob will never be happy about it , more good news though, I also learned I can give less than a crap about what It ' thinks'
Rooting for ya, you got this
Old 07-04-2016, 07:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It seems like to followup/aftercare program with a lot of rehab's is AA. You could just skip ahead and start going to AA meetings with a vengeance!
Old 07-04-2016, 08:07 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

Hi Mattq2, and welcome! I started my first ever intensive outpatient rehab almost three months ago and it has been a game changer for me. That being said, I was also ready to quit and "blessed" with the gift of desperation. I started IOP, seeing a psychiatrist to be medically stable on the correct meds and went back to AA all in the same week. I see a counselor at IOP once a week as well. I don't know about other IOP rehabs, but mine gradually will step you down once they feel (and you agree) that you are ready by reducing the amount of days you attend per week. Once completed, they also offer aftercare one evening a week for alumni. It has made all of the difference, I have never had more than 33 days of sobriety and I'm on day 85. The true thing that makes it work this time was I was ready and willing to do anything to be sober. Good luck to you, sober life has been SO much better than I imagined
Old 07-04-2016, 08:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Matt, welcome. I went to inpatient rehab and it was wonderful, but I stayed 7 weeks. Not AA or 12-step based, which is what I wanted. Glad you found a place to accommodate you. Good luck!
Old 07-05-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mattq2 View Post
Funny thing is joecree. Your probably the first person I have ever told that story too
Im glad you shared with me. I actually had a very good upbringing as both my parents were non drinkers. It was for that reason i didnt want to be a dead beat dad for my kids, as i felt i owe it to them. They are all under 9 and all i do is coach sports.. and tuck them into bed, etc..
The scary thing is i "sort of" thought to myself when they were grown up I could start drinking again... but now I hear your story and I think; WOW... that would be me too if I were to do that. Youve armed me with valuable information to take that ridiculoys thought out of my head. And for that I thank you.

Thank you for sharing.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I think you've got a great start by realizing you either drink, or you don't. I tried moderation for a long time - never worked. I finally realized my only options were to drink myself to a slow (or possibly not so slow) death, or quit. I chose quitting. I went to IOP, for 2 months, 3-hour sessions 3 times a week. then 4 months of 2-hour sessions once a week. I also started AA meetings at the same time, 2-3 meetings a week. I had a really good support system, too. All of these things combined gave me the tools to be sober for over year and a half now. Could not have done it on my own. No way. Tried that. Failed.

"Normies" can't understand why you can't just stop. Only people like us who have been where we were, slaves to alcohol, truly get it. You'll need to find people who understand to talk to about all of it. Their stories of how they got and stayed sober will inspire you.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JoeCree View Post
Im glad you shared with me. I actually had a very good upbringing as both my parents were non drinkers. It was for that reason i didnt want to be a dead beat dad for my kids, as i felt i owe it to them. They are all under 9 and all i do is coach sports.. and tuck them into bed, etc..
The scary thing is i "sort of" thought to myself when they were grown up I could start drinking again... but now I hear your story and I think; WOW... that would be me too if I were to do that. Youve armed me with valuable information to take that ridiculoys thought out of my head. And for that I thank you.

Thank you for sharing.
Joecree the responsibility to our kids is a powerful deterrent. I will warn you that once they started creating there own lives and that responsibility wasn't a daily hands on responsibility I found it easy to drink again. What the hell it had been seven years without a drop. No way I would end up back where I was. Well I did and even worse. Learn from the old guy
Old 07-06-2016, 07:12 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mattq2 View Post
Joecree the responsibility to our kids is a powerful deterrent. I will warn you that once they started creating there own lives and that responsibility wasn't a daily hands on responsibility I found it easy to drink again. What the hell it had been seven years without a drop. No way I would end up back where I was. Well I did and even worse. Learn from the old guy
Too true. Thats what scares me the most. I also run my own business and as you can relate the highs and lows really keep me on edge, couple that with the freedom to do what I want when I want can be a recipe for disaster.
But i heed your warning with regards to letting my guard down, especially when they become less dependent. Idle hands.... scary.