Notices

New to Recovery

Old 06-25-2016, 11:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Just wondered what it was about AA that means you're set against giving it a go. Often it's the spiritual side of things that puts people off, but you're already praying so presumably it's not that. I'm only wondering by the way, not arguing that you should go. I'm a nosy-parker.

Also, why not share your plan so far on here. There might be things people could suggest to add in. I got some great advice from folk on here when getting my plan together.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I guess sometimes I find AA overwhelming, I can't possibly be an ideal AA member, and it seems like if i'm not, i'm destined to relapse.
Also, I'm shy, and there has been times i've found it clique-like, like i'm the awkward teenager in high school, and finding it hard to break into a group. Maybe I'll give it a go again.

My sober plan - well i've kept it simple. Wake up and come on SR. Repeat to myself that I will be sober today, and I don't need a drink.
Brush, shower, clean up. Make breakfast and have some tea.
SR again. Get some groceries and options for healthy meals.
Visit my nieces. Come home. Take a run on the treadmill with some good music. Visit SR throughout day. Go to bed.
I also spoke to a good friend of mine, who gave up smoking with some hypnotherapy sessions and workbooks and reading. I'm going to look into that. Not that it will cure my addiction, but it will give me a boost of confidence in the sense that "i WANT to quit" - hence I will make the right choices as opposed to "I NEED to quit but i'm scared" and then making a bad choice.
I hope i'm making sense!
Old 06-26-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Maybe try some different meetings to the ones you've been to before if they were cliquey. Although once you've been a bit more and have got to know some of the people, then it's not so bad. You haven't even got to speak if you don't want to.

If the program itself might help but the meetings seem too much to think about, you can always use the speaker recordings and literature at home anyway. I use this site for speaker recordings (all free)... 5500+ AA Speakers & Tapes - Organized & Mobile-Friendly!

The Big Book is free for anyone to read on pdf from the website. The little Living Sober book is pretty useful as well. I have my AA literature on my kindle so I can read it on trains and places without everyone knowing what I'm reading.

The ideal candidate for AA is just someone who wants to get sober. Some people will seem very confident and chatty, but then , some of them have been there for years and years, and they do know people well. However, we've all been the new person, and remember what that is like. It's an amazing resource and support network, and completely free. My HP wasn't massively helpful, so I'm really grateful that AA was there for me. It's also meant that I now have sober friends who want to do sober activities with me. And that's a first!! All my old friends were lushes, just like me. I made sure of that.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

PS Might be worth reading some of the links on this thread that Dee put up a while back. It might help add some things to your plan. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

I tend to think of my plan like a risk assessment, treating the HALT (Hungry Angry Lonely Tired ) triggers, and slippery places, people and events as the risks and thinking how I can avoid those things, or minimise the risk. Plus of course, I have my 12-step program and the work around that on a daily and weekly basis.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congratulations on choosing a better way of life in recovery, KPForever. I look forward to getting to know you better.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:02 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hello all,

Day 3 has begun. It's beautiful morning. The sun is shining. I woke up sober.

Friday night, I left work at lunch, went to the nearby restaurant, and had lunch with 3 9 ounce glasses of wine. Then I went back to work and kind of like took off. Went home and drank some more and fell asleep.

So my supervisor was very worried. I called later and said I wasn't doing well, and he was like we'll talk on Monday. I wasn't responsible at all. At least I should have informed someone I was leaving.

So it is what it is. All the result of my actions. I'm nervous and anxious to go into work. I'm going to say I wasn't feeling well, and i wasn't myself.
My work doesn't deserve a drunk employee - but a big part of my plan and the reason for my plan is NOT drinking.
I'm going to the restaurant and telling them not to serve me alcohol if I ever do go there. Just as a precaution.
I don't even know if they will fire me or not.
I'll just have to move a long and do the next right thing. At least i'm sober.