Notices

Intro and Straight Into It

Old 06-25-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Intro and Straight Into It

Hello all - last Sunday night, I took what I hoped would be my last drink for a long time. Alcohol has been a problem in my life for about 25 years, which represents my entire adult life and some years before that too.

I had about 3 months off drinking roughly 15 years ago, but since then, I have consumed alcohol on most days that I have been physically able to, often to excess.

Over the last 12 months or so, I have been gradually working my way down from 12-14 cans of cider most nights to 6-8 cans, with about one 'blow-out' per week on average. However, I know that that is still too much, so I thought I should try to have a prolonged break from the dreaded drink.

In short - every night has felt like a week, without alcohol, and I don't think I will get through tonight without a drink (well, several). How do people get past this phase?
Old 06-25-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A mindset has a lot to do with it. You get through it by deciding this is what you want for yourself. If you treat alcohol like a long-lost lover it will be hard to abstain. It isn't a good friend but a lying bastard and you have to treat it as such. It doesn't add anything good to your life but hinders any chance at having a normal one.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have you tried AA or some other meeting based support group? Nothing changes if nothing changes.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for your replies. I don't know if my mindset is strong enough at the moment, but I suppose that is how most addicts feel before they succeed.

I haven't tried AA for many years, but I found it hard to relate to when I went to one meeting 15 years ago, and I am very quiet in groups when I am sober. I am perhaps making excuses for myself here? I am just beginning to read through the Rational Recovery website, trying to steer my thoughts in the right direction, before I crack and drink tonight.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well in the meantime keep checking in with us having a plan really helps know you won't be doing it alone & there is 24h support stay accountable & I promise your life will be better with no alcohol
Old 06-25-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lonesomecowboy View Post
Thank you for your replies. I don't know if my mindset is strong enough at the moment, but I suppose that is how most addicts feel before they succeed.

I haven't tried AA for many years, but I found it hard to relate to when I went to one meeting 15 years ago, and I am very quiet in groups when I am sober. I am perhaps making excuses for myself here? I am just beginning to read through the Rational Recovery website, trying to steer my thoughts in the right direction, before I crack and drink tonight.
Please don't drink tonight. Give sobriety a fair chance. Read up a lot, you will find something that will click and stick with you. I didn't use AA to get sober and got here mostly on principles from Rational Recovery and support from good people on this site. Please keep reading and posting, we've all been there.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

so I thought I should try to have a prolonged break from the dreaded drink.
A prolonged break implies a return to drinking. When sobriety has an "end" date, our addiction locks on to that and knows a drink is coming and does everything in its power to shorten the break and hasten the drinking.

Commit to never drinking again. That way, when the AV starts banging on you to drink, you can say, "No, I don't drink anymore."
Old 06-25-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sorry you are struggling... there is a way out but like Frick said, nothing changes nothing changes. For me, it's taken a complete surrender to the idea that I cannot control my drinking. I have tried over and over and over - despite the consequences and the DESIRE, I have not been able to sustain abstinence because I had reservations.

What are your reservations about stopping? What is more important to you?

I have been beat down, lonely, depressed, treading water for long enough. My previous reservations are now gone (thank God).

Pertaining to AA, I am also quiet in groups so I go and listen. You don't have to share. Maybe trying again will open up a new option for you - it's been 15 years since you last went. I am not saying that is the only way. People get sober using many different strategies. AA is the only one that has kept ME clean for an extended period of time. I think the important part, no matter what avenue you choose, is that you have others to support you. Starting here is great!!

Best of luck to you. There is hope.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Carl is absolutely right. If you leave things open-ended, your alcoholism will be talking to you constantly. The way to have peace of mind is to stop drinking. I hope you decide to make that choice.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's still worth giving AA another go. I know people who tried and went back out there, and returned a decade or two later, ready for recovery and got on great with the program the second time around. And if you give it a good go and it still isn't for you, what will you have lost. At worst it might not be your long term solution. In the meantime it will give you some support, and some ideas of how to make sobriety more bearable, and hopeful one day comfortable.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks all - it is 21.22 now, and I am still sober, but really weakening. I have resisted all day, and if I make it until midnight sober, I think I'll be ok, but I don't know if I'll make it.

Reading some of the replies and some of the material on Rational Recovery, I wonder if I should let go tonight, and regather my thoughts soon, with a clear intention not to drink again, rather than taking a break?
Old 06-25-2016, 01:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you wait for a day when it's going to be easy, you're in for a looooong wait.

We all have to face those restless, irritable and discontent feelings when we first put down the crutch. The cravings will ease the longer it is between the moment you're in and your last drink. Tell your AV to stick it where the sun doesn't shine, and stick to giving it a big N O answer when it begs, pleads, demands, reasons, bribes, whines, threatens, and bullies you for its alcohol fix.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melki View Post
A mindset has a lot to do with it. You get through it by deciding this is what you want for yourself. If you treat alcohol like a long-lost lover it will be hard to abstain. It isn't a good friend but a lying bastard and you have to treat it as such. It doesn't add anything good to your life but hinders any chance at having a normal one.
Sooooooo true! Love this
Old 06-25-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Reading some of the replies and some of the material on Rational Recovery, I wonder if I should let go tonight, and regather my thoughts soon, with a clear intention not to drink again, rather than taking a break?
If you've been reading about Rational Recovery, then you'd know that the decision to drink then regroup, recommitted to never drinking, is pure AV.

Something brought you here. If you drink, you might get sweep away, and wait any of number of years to quit, if at all.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to have you with us, lonesome. No one understands like your fellow alkies. Please keep reading & posting here. We care about you & want to help.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Very good advice has already been provided. Regardless of what method you choose to get sober, early days will likely be difficult. Its just part of the process. Some people are just mentally stubborn enough to do it, some reach out for help or a structured recovery program. The bottom line is not drinking, right?
Old 06-25-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yep, waiting doesn't help.
Only way out is through, but truly, is it worth getting to the other side cowboy