Notices

Save Yourself Here - Weekender June 24th Part 1

Old 06-26-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

little river elkmont camp area
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
little river fishing.JPG (64.7 KB, 53 views)
Old 06-26-2016, 09:29 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

drove blue ridge parkway home, after almost 11 hours (counting stopping every ten minutes) of driving pulled over to catch sunset and this was to the east in front of us for a good hour not moving... spent night in floyd... one room left in entire town... had breakfast of smoked salmon, bagels and cream cheese, yogurt and watermelon chunks we brought, and coffee provided by room coffee pot on a deck outside with the sun coming up...
Attached Images
near floyd va.JPG (53.7 KB, 53 views)
Old 06-26-2016, 09:47 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

did cascade falls hike in morning - brutal uphill for four miles, downhill back was worse on knees and feet... took a break and did porter creek trail almost to the end and back - was hurting after mile11... kicked this guy out on the trail - very tight trail closed in by vegetation... there was a foot bridge crossing the creek just after that... a split log with a railing... looked up the creek and saw the deer making his way though the boulders to cross the creek - he didn't notice us on the bridge...
let's see, neat slug, turkeys, salamander, deer, snakes, turtle, fish, few birds, bear briefly when crossing road ahead of us, on cascade hike a group in front of us was carrying on big time over a bear wondering around the trail - I was too late to get a pic - they wouldn't even continue on the trail as I walked passed them... still, the bear was already gone... saw a bachelor group of turkeys on cucumber gap trail, and a lone female with 4 small turkettes, a few birds of prey, several different deer... lots of mountain flowers... lots of clouds and fog... and then there is gatlinburg --- lots of tourists... holy bear crap batman - PEOPLE EVERYWHERE lets get out of here.............
time to get first laundry on the line and inspect the grounds...
later gators...
Attached Images
porter creek trail.JPG (96.4 KB, 53 views)
Old 06-26-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  
saoutchik

BigSomb, how fantastic it must be to have a view like that from your front door.

Venecia, thank you for that link - I finally got to read it. It just shows how we must work hard to defeat this disease

Sorry Behan, France should be good enough to beat England too (assuming we get past Iceland)

It sounds like you had a good time LBRAIN, is it me or does that fish you caught look a tad embarrassed? like "I can't believe I fell for it"
Old 06-26-2016, 11:04 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Thanks for sharing the photos, Brain! Love the orange azaleas especially!That part of the country is beautiful for sure! It's always good to get home but its hard to get back in the swing of normal life after vacation.

Home from church and trying to figure out what I need to do today. Feeling kinda anti social after weeks of non stop get togethers. I need some serious alone time but will have to wait to get it. Crud.
Xo
Old 06-26-2016, 11:49 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

A huge welcome to swallace!!! What Ven said is some great advice.

Great stuff LB!!

Damn BigS ... You take such amazing photos. Don't even what to call them "pics"

Welp..... In a very "I don't want to interact with anyone" day.

Making a homemade pepperoni pizza.

Going to watch the movie Eye in the Sky with Helen Mirren.

See you all later.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Hey all,
Love the pictures everyone is posting, slow around here this weekend, probably due to heat and air quality. Lots of fires south of us. Feel better seeing all these lovely photos.
Take care everyone
bloss
Old 06-26-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Hello all from a hot and steamy central Wisconsin. Just a quick word of thanks today, for everyone staying in the forum and posting over the weekend. It was good to pop in and lurk for a few minutes here and there, to remind me to stay on the path. Happy to say that I haven't had a drop all weekend. Day 7.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders bloss

Congratulations on 7 days Username

I moved my washing machine, dishwasher and tumble dryer during the week to clean behind them. I put a laundry basket of clothes into the washing machine and about 10 minutes later I thought that it sounded a bit odd, but didn't investigate. I went into the kitchen about 20 minutes ago to find an inch of water everywhere - a split hose which I must have done when I moved it. At least it's a cheap fix I suppose.

In other news my youngest daughter now has blue hair. Hmm
Old 06-26-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Great pics LB. Looks like you had an amazing trip.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

We had a washing machine catastrophe also Sao!

The new Top Gear is just not doing it for me. A film perhaps.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Behan View Post
We had a washing machine catastrophe also Sao!

The new Top Gear is just not doing it for me. A film perhaps.
What a pain that must be with Finn's stuff

Re Top Gear, Dingle in the Republic looked amazing
Old 06-26-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum swallace!
Congrats to 7 days Username!

Thanks for all the great photos today.

My weekend was pretty good, went to a stained glass workshop yesterday and learned how to cut glass and make a little window out of the glass and the lead and for the first time in my life I point soldered (even had to look up the spelling :-) ). Did some house jobs today and then was taken out by my OH for a spin in the car which ended in a traffic jam for about an hour LOL. Great pizza and icecream for supper (healthy eating on stop for a day). Now chilling out, catching up on New Blood on the iPlayer.

Sorry for Ireland in the football (sorry soberwolf), Germany is thru

Did anyone had a clean egg for breakfast this weekend?
Old 06-26-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Guys, one of my Mayflies friends is in need for support, please if you can have a look that would be great.... thanks x
Old 06-26-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
What a pain that must be with Finn's stuff

Re Top Gear, Dingle in the Republic looked amazing
I cant recommend Dingle and the ring of kerry enough!
Old 06-26-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Watching Brooklyn. Feel good movie, Mrs B is already in floods of tears!
Old 06-26-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Work again tomorrow....ugh.
I just find my co-workers gossipy and annoying. Even the ones who are my age are very old fashioned. I would say that they got into their safe, permanent, stable job at a young age and never left.
On Friday one of them said to me "you are very quiet. All you do is type". I just smiled sweetly and said "well my typing is coming along nicely but I am not at your level yet. I have to concentrate and look down from time to time but I have seen you typing away merrily while looking out the window". She didn't say much after that.

There is a woman at work who is transitioning from male to female. I have seen her around a bit (it is difficult not to notice) but she always smiles at me and says "hello how are you?" I have even met her randomly in town and she still greets me, although I never got her name.

So anyway last week one of the women came rushing in and said "Maria is using our bathroom!" I was like "who's Maria?" She said "Maria, formerly known as Mark". I was like "oh right". She said "He is just doing this to annoy us. He has his own private bathroom downstairs. I don't feel comfortable about this at all".

I know that this is a sensitive topic for some, judging by what I read on the internet, and we are all entitled to our own opinion, and I understand that. But I just don't care who uses what toilet as long as they clean up after themselves and don't leave a mess for the next person. I just don't care. Of all the things in my head, the above is way down my list of priorities.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:05 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

On the plus side, I am still hoping to move into town next weekend...fingers crossed!

Two of my cousins are married to two English ladies. I gather they come from "well to do" families". One of them was moving into a new house with my cousin, it came with a cooker and a fridge - both in good working order, just needed cleaning. She wanted to throw them out and buy new ones. I remember my Grandmother (who believed in minding her money) was raging at the time

The other one then is an only child. I often feel sorry for my cousin because they have to drag his hag of a mother in law with them everywhere they go and he often looks fed up.

I gather his in-laws have an "open marriage". My mother was taken aback one time when she was talking to a family member at some function and she said "oh great. Here is John and his girlfriend". I gather the wife turns a blind eye to all of this , and she gets to go on about 10 holidays a year.

So anyway the time their daughter was moving in with my cousin, she began loading up her car with belongings from her parents house. I guess her dad was looking at all the things he bought and paid for being dragged out to the car and he sighed and said "take whatever you want. Just please leave me a chair and the television".

We all still laugh at that. I told my mom that will be me next weekend and she was laughing
Old 06-26-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Behan View Post
Watching Brooklyn. Feel good movie, Mrs B is already in floods of tears!
I loved that movie!

I'm watching When A Man Loves A Woman. I wish my husband would watch it with me but after playing poker all night he's downstairs watching......POKER
Old 06-26-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Just to top off my *almost* perfect sober week- my husband told me he wants a divorce.
Great. How do you stay sober with that kind of news? I can honestly say I didn't see that coming.....